X3 Spindle Motor

Thread: X3 Spindle Motor

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default X3 Spindle Motor

Hello all,

I have inherited a X3 mill that had been converted to CNC with a CNC Fusion deluxe kit. My friend had been using it to cut wood. After receiving it I completely disassembled it to clean out all of the sawdust, sand and paint ( I HAD to get rid of the HF red color), check bearings and reassemble. I am just now about ready to remount the head, then on to all of the electronics.

Anyway, my digging through the machine has led me to believe that the spindle motor is on its last leg and will need to be replaced. I have searched here and everywhere on suggested replacement motors, but all of the posts are several years old.

Can anyone tell me where I can go now to find a replacement motor? I wouldn't have a problem replacing the electronics at the same time, I just want a motor that will physically fit this machine .

Thanks for your help!

Guy in Sacramento

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default X3 Spindle Motor

Littlemachineshop has it. I own a X3 too and that's where I went to get replacement parts. https://littlemachineshop.com/produc...ory=1716750115

Grizzly still sells a similar machine. Shop our G0463 - Mill / Drill at Grizzly.com

I would contact them for parts too.

Please check the brushes first to see if worn down. A lot cheaper to replace them first.

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: X3 Spindle Motor

I replaced my X3 motor with a .75kw three phase 2 pole induction motor and a variable frequency drive to run it. I had to make a new motor mounting plate and I fitted a new longer toothed belt and new pulleys to suit. The motor fits fine and does not impede the operation of the machine. I gutted all the old electronics (which turned out to be faulty thus ruining the original motor). This setup is very quiet and I can get forward/reverse from the VFD. I like the soft start and although I don't run my motor from Mach3, it is an option.
    X3 Spindle Motor-dsc_5554-jpg
    This view shows the new motor fitted with its new toothed pulley and belt.
    X3 Spindle Motor-dsc_5560-jpg
    Here is the VFD with the motor start switch and variable speed control.
    X3 Spindle Motor-dsc_5562-jpg
    This view shows the new motor with the original pulley cover fitted with an Estop and pilot light.
    X3 Spindle Motor-dsc_5546-jpg
    Here is the new motor mount plate (the longer one) with the original shorter one.
    Oh and by the way, the Z stepper motor has no trouble lifting the heavier motor even without a counterweight or a gas strut although I have since fitted a strut since I moved the Z screw to the outside of the column and filled the void with epoxy granite.

Regards,
    Preso

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Preso,

Thanks so much for the pics of your solution. I too want to get away from the factory electronics.

Where did you get your motor?

Guy

Downloads
    Uploads

SWA Guy,
    I purchased my motor from a local bearing and industrial supply merchant here in Australia however, I just completed a motor upgrade for my drilling machine which involved replacing the original single phase motor with a three phase .75kw 4 pole motor and a Chinese inverter. I got that motor from Ebay Electric Motor Three Phase 415V 0 55KW 0 75HP 1400rpm Shaft 19mm | eBay. I am very pleased with this motor. The build quality is excellent and it is very light with an aluminium frame. It was cheap too at around $134 delivered to my door.
    I would think these motors are easy to get. I used a 2 pole motor for my X3 because I wanted to have roughly the same RPM range as the original black DC motor fitted to my X3. With a 2 pole at 50Hz. I can get 2800 RPM. at the spindle. I retained the original Sieg high low range gearbox so I get a useful range of speeds and plenty of torque in the low range.
    Here is a pic of my drill machine.
    X3 Spindle Motor-drill-motor-jpg
    Regards,

Preso