What software for a newbie

Thread: What software for a newbie

Downloads
    Uploads

Default What software for a newbie

Weve now setup our first cnc, it's a large hobby version running a dewalt 611 router. 8x4 sheet size. It's running and working but I'm trying to figure out a software other than vcarve. I'm currently using cambam but I'm really struggling to get engraving even close to neat it just looks like a child's done it. Any one have any tips on what to do to get it right. We're using a 45degree v cutter at the moment on a 1/4shank 6mm at top of cutter but it's just really messy and it's not pocketing all the letter out its leaving raised slithers in the middle.

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: What software for a newbie

Are you looking for software that will turn a bitmap into areas that can be pocketed out cleanly by a router? "Engraving" usually means following a line, not making pockets. If you're using a V-shaped cutter, that would be good for engraving, but not useful for pocketing - for that you want a flat-ended tool that's the same diameter all the way down. It sounds like your software might be working okay, but it's assuming you're using a tool like that. Of course, if you follow a line with a 1/4" flat tool, it will carve out a path 1/4" wide.

[FONT=Verdana]Andrew Werby[/FONT]
    [URL="http://www.computersculpture.com/"]Website[/URL]

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi,
    I use Fusion 360. Its not known as a great solution for engraving but can make a very nice job of engineering parts. I can and do use
    it for lettering.

I have attached a 3D model of a section of a speedo dial I made for a customer.

The second pic is the toolpath that Fusion generated. Note how Fusion cuts on one side of the letter followed by the other side. I'm using a very small 0.5mm two flute endmill. The numbers are 8mm high.
    It cuts them perfectly, no raised bits in the centre and beautifully cut square edges.

Fusion is free to try for hobbyists and startups.

Craig

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails What software for a newbie-fusion3dmodel-jpg   What software for a newbie-fusiontoolpath-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi RW - My understanding of V carve is that is a cad and cam ie it can produce gcode. Same with cambam. So you need to describe your work flow a bit better for someone to comment. Both products are well known and very capable so I don't think you need other software you need to learn more about these two systems. By "engraving" do you mean V carving or line following? If you are V carving the lines need to be closed. If you model in vcarve and produce gcode in vcarve all things should be OK. V carving adjusts the tool height so the "V" intersects the two line edges of the design. You say there are slithers in the middle. Check your tool is sharp. Plus does the "3D view" in Vcarve look correct? if it does then it maybe the machine vs the software. A vcarve user would be able to help here better than me. Peter

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi RW - Thinking about the sliver. If you are V carving there won't be a sliver. My guess is that you are "pocketing" with the V bit. This mans the bit is travelling inside the closed space but keeping one side to the line. This would leave a sliver and basically look ugly. Look at V carving I think that's what you want. Peter

Downloads
    Uploads

I use Vcarve Vectric.
    It depends on the size of the letters one carves. There are two nominations come to play- diameter of the bit and v-angle. If the bit is not wide or the angle is to sharp it would cat on each side of the line to reach the desired width and you might get a sliver in the middle if your machine is not accurate.
    As mention above photos would be helpful. Engraving and vcarving are different and different bits are used.
    I use 60 to 120 degrees bits and from 1/2” to 1-1/4 diameter for vcarving depending on the thickness of the material and width of the letters.
    It is outstanding software and very intuitive. I would suggest to watch tutorials they have.

Downloads
    Uploads

And one more thing that could mess it up is if the angle of the V bit is not precise. It happens to me on several occasions. If they advertise the bit as 60 degrees but in reality it’s 59… that will create a sliver if the path approach dictates cutting on each side separately.
    You can enter exactly angle of the bit in the tools database and it will correct that problem.

There is a free soft Carbide Create that you can try. It’s very basic and simple. Good for V carving of simple texts and forms.