Whats the most expensive damage you've done to a machine - Page 3

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Whats the most expensive damage you've done to a machine

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hi,

I once ripped the arm off an Asea robot, lathe started rpm before robot had let go the stock.

I have also pull'd off a pallet and ripped the tool out of the spindel... that was about $10k

My very first hit, was facemilling 2 parts, part 1 was secured, but part 2 wasnt.
    And the vibes from milling part 1 made part 2 move... so.. G0 Z0 with 4" facemill into the part, sent it flying.
    bye bye part 2, facemill, saftydoor and PC on the other side.

Well I havent had any major hit hte last 10 years :-)

Best...
    Leon

Downloads
    Uploads

Hmmmmmm....... Not yet. Broken Tools, Inserts, Snapped 1-1/4 Diameter End Mills, Melted Index Drills, Shattered HSS Drills, Snapped Groove tools, Cracked Windows, a few Dents in the Doors and cut too much on finish passes. Never made any contact with Machine Tool Components.

Watched one guy send a 6" diameter 1" thick 8620 Disk throught the top of the machine and the roof. Meat-Head exceeded the Jaw Stroke Limit, didn't have the right PSI on the chuck, and too high of an RPM. Zing!!!!!!!!!

Another extended 5/8 Hex stock 2 feet out the back of the spindle destroying the way oil tank and a few other things.

Once a Cut-off part got caught between the Turret and the Chuck during cut-off. That was a loud one.

This one too.
    http://www.cnczone.com/forums/showpo...&postcount=109

You guys are scary beyond scary.

Toby D.
    "Imagination and Memory are but one thing, but for divers considerations have divers names"
    Schwarzwald

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

www.refractotech.com

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Saw the same thing, rather heard it. LOUDEST crash I've ever heard, and felt.
    Same type of casting, large VTL, using a boring bar as big as your leg. The part went through a chain link surrounding the chuck/table then fell into the pit surrounding the machine. The pit acted as a kind of safty barrier although it was really just designed to accomodate the tall higth of the machine. I was working 50 feet away and swear my load meters were going off. LOL.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123