FV1480 Spindle Orientation to an Angle M20?

Thread: FV1480 Spindle Orientation to an Angle M20?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default FV1480 Spindle Orientation to an Angle M20?

We have a brand new FV1480 vertical with a Fanuc 18i-MB. I'm looking for a way to orient the spindle at 0, 90, 180 & 270 for a broaching operation that would replace an EDM outside process.

In the operators book listed in the M-codes is a M20. The description listed next to this is "Spindle Orientation The Angle (For ATLM tool length mesurement)". They give no description on how to program using this. Our sales rep is working to get an answer for us, but thought I'd throw it out here as well.

I've run some Fanuc machines with a spindle that you can orient to different angles, mainly for finish boring, and I've tried those codes.

One problem we may have is that our 4th axis on this machine rotates along X, but I had it's name set to "C" since we also have a multi-axis lathe that rotates it's rotary work on C. At the time it just made sense to me. But I'll change it back to A or B if needed.

Thanks!

Similar Threads:

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

If your machine has the option, the angle is probably designated with the P word. I have never used a machine with M20. It was always M19 Pxx.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by txcncman View Post
    If your machine has the option, the angle is probably designated with the P word. I have never used a machine with M20. It was always M19 Pxx.
    txcncman,

Thanks for the response!

I just tried both M19 P90 and M20 P90. With both codes the spindle rotates to the regular "0" tool change position and locks without any alarms. Also tried 60, 270, 180, etc - All the same position...

I wonder if the M20 is linked thru in the parameters somewhere that maybe changes the spindle 0 position?

The option listed on our brochure says this machine has spindle orientation. I assumed this meant being able to orient to different positions. Maybe not though. Seems silly to list the spindle orientation when it would need at least a home position to make tool changes.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thumbs up

I solved this by using the Toyoda spindle orientation Macro that somebody else had posted here. It was pretty simple to get going, just plug in your machine's ATC 0 position.

I went back and forth from orienting to specific angles and to atc 0 for tool changes without issue.

As far as I know M20 is just a spindle lock cancel. I still don't fully understand the translation in the book.

VMC Broaching here I come!