Change tool locations to table?

Thread: Change tool locations to table?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Change tool locations to table?

I have a 59120 LC Techno router with an automatic tool changer. I've been using the table for milling 4 x 8 foot sheets up until now. I now want to reconfigure the machine to cut 5 x 5 foot Baltic Birch. I specifically bought the 59 inch width version for this possibility.

The problem I am running into is that the vacuum table is really only 58.5 inches wide. The wood will hang over the edges a little bit, althought I can make that work. The real issue is the tool holders being too close to the edge.

If I run it all the way to the edge, the dust collector head that covers the tool hits the tools on the tool holders. I literally can't cut 1.5 inches of the wood on one side.

My thought was to move the tool holders to the front of the actual table. I don't need all 10 feet of length. I would be happy to leave one end open for the tools and bolt them right to the table. That way, I could cut the sheet at full width and not hit the tools.

Does anybody know if this will work? After all of this time and investment it makes me upset to think that I can't use it properly for 5 x 5 stock.

Thanks ahead of time for any help and suggestions!

Similar Threads:

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

how about if you just space your work piece forward a few inches, you'll need to cover part of your vac ports on the table any way to hold down the shorter sheet. If you space your geometry forward by the same amount as your spacer, it will require no other adjustments on your part.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

how about if you just space your work piece forward a few inches
    The pieces I am cutting are 5 feet by 5 feet. It doesn't matter which way I orient the pieces, they are still 5 feet wide either way.

I also have 8 tools on my machine. There is no extra space on the side of the machine where there are no tools. They are evenly spaced all along one side.

The space between the two aluminum pieces that hold up the gantry is about 60 3/4 inches. That only leaves me 3/8 of an inch on either side with the material centered. I am not comfortable moving the piece any closer to one side or the other for fear that the gantry will hit the piece I am cutting.

Still hoping somebody has some thoughts.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

OOPS, I had it in my mind that the tool holders were on the end. there should be some sort of teach routine to allow the rearrangement of the tool positions. I remember seeing it demonstrated many years ago, but I'm sure it has changed since then. sorry I was of no help.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

No worries. I appreciate anybody trying to help me. Thanks.

I called Techno and they told me a way to switch it, but it does not look like that will work either. It looks like I am stuck running 4 x 8 sheets.

So heads up to anybody buying a 59 inch wide machine. You can't run a tool holder and actually cut 5 foot wide material. In fact, most stock 5 x 8 and 5 x 10 board boards are actually 61 inches wide. They don't even fit on my machine.

My Techno experience hasn't been a good one for the most part. Nothing like having a rep tell you to buy something bigger in order to cut something that it can't.

Thank God i spent thousands more to get this machine and now I can't use the extra size.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I have encountered the same problem with my LC 59-120. I'm currently running with 5 tool holders and have moved them all forward in the tool rail, then use the rear section of the table to run 5'x5' parts.

There is no reason you cannot relocate the tool holders anywhere within the x-y axis envelope, but be aware you must also modify the toolchanger approach and retract values.
    This is easily done, but VERY carefully (I've already done this to accommodate my tool holders which have been modified to accept 2.5" cutters).

I'm in the process now of mocking up a revised dust shroud that should take care of this problem, and also allow much closer grouping of the tool holders.

It is possible to move the tool rail slightly further outboard by about 3/8". It's close but 3/8 would about do it. This requires modifying the tool rail mounts.

I share your irritation with the current arrangement, it's an obvious target for improvement but I see little interest from Techno in making such changes, so I'm going to roll my own....