Rhino 3D 3.0 w/Flamingo or SolidWorks 2003 ?

Thread: Rhino 3D 3.0 w/Flamingo or SolidWorks 2003 ?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Rhino 3D 3.0 w/Flamingo or SolidWorks 2003 ?

I am looking at both Rhino 3D 3.0 w/flamingo and SolidWorks 2003.
    1. Which is really better for CNC stuff?
    2. Which can I learn faster?
    3. Any shortfalls for either?

Thanks for any info................Sam

Similar Threads:

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Both are great apps, SolidWorks is better (IMHO) for mechanical design and can be picked up quicker. Rhino is better for artistic endeavors. I started in SW and am trying to teach myself Rhino now. They are very different beasts.

TT

Downloads
    Uploads

I own Rhino 3D and Solidworks 2004.

1. Which is really better for CNC stuff?

It all depends on what CAM software you will be using. They both output many different file formats and certain CAM products can read their native formats.

2. Which can I learn faster?

I started with AutoCAD and moved into Rhino. I felt that was an easy transition. When I started with Solidworks, I had to totally change my outlook on drafting. It is a different process than a traditional CAD package.

The learning material that came with Solidworks in my opinion is pathetic. Some of the tutorials did not have files that correspond with the instruction. I had to buy another book just to learn the basics. Rhino on the other hand, has excellent tutorials and enables the user to be productive alot faster.

3. Any shortfalls for either?

Solidworks price vs. Rhino is significant.
    It all depends on what you are trying to do. Both have their pluses and minuses.

Downloads
    Uploads

I have found it easy to learn the basics of both, to become expert it will take a long time.

Rhino is a modeling tool and excels in very accurate freeform 3D surfaces. In my opinion Rhino is the best bargain in 3D modeling software.

SolidWorks is an engineering tool that will do good 3D work. Engineering data is where it excels.

If you don’t need engineering data or pretty pictures, but want to machine the parts, I would look at MasterCam or FeatureCam. They both have very good CAD software built in and excel in producing tool path code.

Gary

Downloads
    Uploads

You can always download the free Rhino evaluation version and try it. See if you can get a demo of SolidWorks too. If you are going to spend that kind of money, you should be sure about what you are getting.

As for Mastercam, I agree that it would do what you need. The cost, however, is significantly higher than SolidWorks (2X to 3X) and about 14X higher than Rhino.

However, if you intend to produce cutter paths, an additional CAM software will be required whether you purchase Rhino or SolidWorks, so you may end up spending that much anyway.

Is this for a business, or for personal (hobby) use? If money is tight, take a serious look at the Rhino/VisualMill combination.

Dan

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Dan B:
    I'm going to use this for my hobby which I hope becomes a business! I want to make "Art you can use" like small bookshelves with beautiful carving in the sides, or pistol grips and gun racks, all kinds of stuff. Maybe even some really huge wood murals with pictures carved on them. Most of my designs will be very simple in construction, but with lots of art type engraving. I won't be doing much mechanical engineering or anything.

I have looked at both Solid Works and Rhino-3D. Rhino seems easier to learn and I like the interface. But everyone says SW is pretty good also. I just want to use what is best.

Also, I had heard before that Rhino-3D works best with Visual Mill. So I was going to use that if I choose that route.

Downloads
    Uploads

It sounds like you will be doing a lot of "freeform" modeling. Check out Rhino's control point editting. Have you downloaded the Rhino demo yet? It's at www.rhino3d.com

I've only played with the VisualMill demo, but it's very impressive for the money.

Dan

Monkeywrench Technician DareBee's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads

Samualt

SolidWorks has been advertising their "personal addition" as e free demo which as far as I can tell is a full feature version with no load/save functions.
    Should be available right from SolidWorks.com or a local reseller.
    I currently use SW2004 and VisualMill5.
    I know nothing about Rhino but VisualMill is available packaged with Rhino from MecSoft.
    I agree with Duluthboat, the basics of SolidWorks are extremely easy to learn (single part modelling) but the program is also extremely DEEP and can get tricky on large assemblies and freeform surfacing.
    I have been very impressed with VisualMill 5 and the support from MecSoft is the best I have ever recieved.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Samualt,

I use Rhino and Visual Mill 5 almost exclusively. VM would be a little expensive for a hobby, but if you intend to do carving, Rhino is must in my oinion. There may be other cam programs out there that will do what Visual Mill does, but I honestly don't so think for the price.VM has a demo so you can look at it, but you can't save your work. Rhino has a dmeo that has a limited number of saves. I think it is 50.

I have no problem doing human form in Rhino and if you take a look at my site you will a few ornamental projects.

You'll have fun anyway you do it.

Best of luck,
    Phill Pittman
    digicarve@verizon.net
    www.masterwerkes.com

Phill Pittman
    www.masterwerkes.com
    phill@masterwerkes.com

Downloads
    Uploads

I think it is 50.
    It's actually 25 saves. However, once you use those up, the program will still function, you just won't be able to save.

Dan

Downloads
    Uploads

Thumbs up

Phill,

Nice site, fantastic workmanship! A great example of how the new can compliment the old.

Gary

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I am an industrial designer who has used solidworks for the last ? years (too long), recieved certified training, yada yada. Starting using Rhino , 2 years ago. SW and rhino are two very different programs. SW is a far more powerful program. We bought rhino to use as a digitzing program with our faro arm. (Surfcam stunk for that) and to explore it's surfacing capabilites. We were designing automotive, marine and rv interior pieces.
    Here is the quick list:

Rhino is great for digitzing, 3d "sketching", and organic surfaces.

Solid Works has far superior fillet capabilities, shelling, and is parametric.

As far as cnc goes you can build very poor surfaces in Rhino that SW will not allow you to. This bit me a few times. You can be alot more sloppy in rhino and end up with surfaces that look good but have miniscule gaps and overlaps. This lead to a few bad spots on tools that were programed in Mastercam. I usually use both programs to take advantage of each's strengths. Rhino is a great program that I prefer to use for the initial design of organic shapes. Solid Works is what I use to get files ready to go to cam and to design simple forms, assemblies, sheetmetal parts, tooling etc. I love rhino and some of my problems are probably due to poor technique, but there are number of things that SW is far superior to doing than rhino.

Downloads
    Uploads

I love rhino and some of my problems are probably due to poor technique, but there are number of things that SW is far superior to doing than rhino.
    I can't argue about that. If you need parametrics, Rhino is not going to cut it as your only CAD program. Same can be said for shelling and variable fillets. Version 4 which will go into beta testing anytime now, is supposed to address some of these issues.

As for exporting to CAM, this IS what we use Rhino for. We process about 1200 jobs a year, exclusively surfaced in Rhino and programmed with WorkNC. (We just bought PowerMill, but are still in the training phase)

You can be alot more sloppy in rhino and end up with surfaces that look good but have miniscule gaps and overlaps.
    Rhino has tools to repair these kind of problems if they come up. We use these tools, so perhaps that is why we don't have any issues in WorkNC.

Dan