Hi all,

New user to Powermill, so please be kind. I am creating my tool database, so far so good accept for I am concerned about how PowerMill assigns tool offset (tool length and diameter) values. I realize that the offset number is assigned in NC Programs form. This concerns me due to the fact that it is possible to assign two different (separate) tools the same offset number. To me (remember, new user) this seems dangerous and a potential for a crash. Our machine has a laser tool measuring system that will input the length and diameter of the tool into the data table on the control for us. I would never want to have 2 tools the same offset (not tool) number. In a different software I have used, I was able to assign an offset number to a tool when I created that tool, and then that number was locked out. This would keep me from using the same offset number for another tool.
My fear is that the operator (operator not machinist or programmer) will look at the setup sheet and see the offset number assigned to the tool, check the control and notice that there is (possibly) a value already in there and run the tool with the wrong length and diameter for that tool.
How do you all manage what offset number goes with each tool. Spreadsheet with tools and what offset you have assigned them in the past?

Thanks in advance for any ideas or suggestions.

Paul