Would you pass your knowledge on for free? - Page 13

View Poll Results: Would you pass on your knowledge for free?

Voters
723. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I'm a selfless sod.

618 85.48%
  • No, it took me years to get it. It's mine.

33 4.56%
  • Perhaps if I was paid more.

60 8.30%
  • I would, but I'd make sure I taught it wrong.

12 1.66%
Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 310111213

Thread: Would you pass your knowledge on for free?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default To an extent.

I enjoy teaching. I enjoy mentoring. I enjoy helping people grow.

Then again, it is no fun when you find out you just trained your own replacement and you end up on the street.

So, these days, I still help people, but not as much as I used to.

Downloads
    Uploads

...in Oz it's called Mondayitus, Fridayitus, Grandfinalitus, longweekenditus, couldn'tgivash!titus....

I'm starting to think that NZ has an approximate equivalent...She'llBeRightus...

DP

Downloads
    Uploads

OMG, not NZ too.

NZ is rightly called the land of the Long White Cloud, due to all that volcanic activity, high mountains,clouds and rainfall.....and OZ is rightly called the land of the Long Weekend...LOL....anything to get out of work.

In my last firm, with all the normal long weekends from public holidays, add the rostered days off, (one every 4 weeks)....add the paid sick leave, (8 days per year).......add the annual holidays (5 weeks per year).......add the long service leave (2 months every 10 years), and you only get to go to work about twice a week, mainly to get out of your wife's way with the housework....LOL.....now that's real Unionism working for you, a fair days wage for a fair days work......mind you I worked 50 years to get to that state......OZ, the Lucky Country.
    Ian.

Gold Member
    Downloads
    Uploads

Ref. #241 "train my replacement". I wish I could find somebody who wanted to replace me. All it takes is a good math education, a mechanical background, a willingness to work long hours to meet deadlines and really enjoy what you are doing. An ME degree really helps. A few years in the gear industry helps too.

Nowadays, that seems to require a bit too much exertion. What's left of this niche is full of old farts like me and very few younger types.

Oh, by the way, you won't get the time off Ian does.LOL

Dick Z

DZASTR

Downloads
    Uploads

BTW, on the topic of passing on your info......most of the young blokes thought they knew it all and couldn't be told, so I never did try to tell anyone how to do it.....the World didn't stop turning just because I stopped, so no harm was done...LOL.
    Ian.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I believe Geof states it well. The original question was "Would you pass your knowledge on for free?" Is that not what we're doing here?

Downloads
    Uploads

Not as I see it in actuality, most of the time we're curious as to what the other guys are getting up to......we're all very professional in our approach to machining......it's a serious non forgiving game and those that play at it are soon out of it.....but for the most of us the tricks and ploys used to "persuade" metal to perform is what makes it the more interesting.....which, in exchanging ideas and comments, is really passing on the knowledge for free while gaining some too.
    Ian.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I'm the only person at my place that does Diamond Machining. I do it quite well
    Two things....

Where did you aquire this training/knowledge?

Did you pay for this Training/Knowledge?

Some people can adapt to almost everything in terms of learning a trade or exercise and they do it at the blink of an eyelid,however a lot people don't have the expertise or the funds to aquire the training/knowledge and therefore are classed at the lower of the social ladder,its a bit like prosperous countries have a schooling upbringing and those countries that are poor don't have a schooling upbringing....its a damn shame that people think they are leechs on society but the reality is they don't have the means to be taught.

Downloads
    Uploads

Horrid, you overlook one thing......a poor country cannot compete with prosperous countries because they are fundamentally poor, have always been poor, can't change because the infrastructure of the country at the very ground level is poor.

This is strange because China and Japan were considered to be poor peasant societies, but with a change in managment a fundamental change in direction was acomplished and a change in their fortunes too.

I have always suscribed to the notion that a little knowledge is a dangerous thing, so I refrain from becoming too generous with the knowledge passing on bit, unless it's going to fall on fertile ground....you can't sow crops on unplowed ground....it's a waste of time and effort.
    Ian.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Horrid, you overlook one thing......a poor country cannot compete with prosperous countries because they are fundamentally poor, have always been poor, can't change because the infrastructure of the country at the very ground level is poor.
    I'm sure I have said that somewhere?

This is strange because China and Japan were considered to be poor peasant societies, but with a change in managment a fundamental change in direction was acomplished and a change in their fortunes too.
    Change in who's fortune? certainly not for the lower classes,if you ever take a vacation to China take time out to visit its waterfront.

Downloads
    Uploads

Now whatever would I want to be visiting a smelly dirty waterfront environment for?

This would be like visiting the Thames embankment on a wet night and talking to the down and outs as to whether they think the country is prosperous or not....LOL.

You can't judge a country by the extremes of it's bad side, and as for going on a holiday to visit that quarter......you must be joking.

As for the change in leadership that occured in the 40's, the Chinese must have got something right, otherwise they wouldn't be the massive World power they are today.

I had a bet on with a mate of mine when we visited our local hardware superstore.

The bet was to find a product that bore the logo Made In Britain, or USA.

Perhaps a change in leadership in those two countries would improve their economy too, but that's a non starter given that the two countries originated from the same root stock thinking.

I thought I'd pass on my observations in case you had overlooked them.
    Ian.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Yes, I would love to share my knowledge with others. Not face to face, but by the help of forums like these.

[URL="http://virus-removal.jupitersupport.com/"]virus removal[/URL] | [URL="http://services.jupitersupport.com/pc-tune-up-service.html"]pc tune up service[/URL]

Downloads
    Uploads

All I can say is what goes around comes around.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Free training

Been training guys and paying them for years. Is that the same as free?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn Lucas View Post
    Been training guys and paying them for years. Is that the same as free?
    Doubt that you are training them for free... they are exchanging their physical labor for your knowledge in return.... how ever that equal / unequal exchange is.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by dogdog View Post
    Doubt that you are training them for free... they are exchanging their physical labor for your knowledge in return.... how ever that equal / unequal exchange is.
    You are right it is an exchange of sorts, and so maybe it isn't free. Thanks for the insight. I can probably do more to insure they are getting more than just pseudo-training.

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Would you pass your knowledge on for free?

Sharing became the main theme of the social development. There're some FREE codes or knowledge on the internet, so if I have the chance, I'd like to share my experience with the others for further improvement.

ISweek(http://www.isweek.com/)- Industry sourcing & Wholesale industrial products

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Would you pass your knowledge on for free?

Of course I would and I'm quite often beside that. Most of you are as well, we do it for family and friends all the time even at at own expense. What a silly question!

Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 310111213