Fusion 360 4th Axis Post Processor

Thread: Fusion 360 4th Axis Post Processor

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Fusion 360 4th Axis Post Processor

I've got my fleabay 4th axis working well on my RH19 Cent7. Just looking for a post that runs the 4th axis with F360. It looks like I need to modify my own or find one that's been done correctly. Apparently I have to modify something to simulate with (generic) machine as well.

Anybody gone there yet?

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Fusion 360 4th Axis Post Processor

Hi,
    many of the Fusion supplied post processors are actually already four and sometimes five axis capable. All that is required is to edit the post to 'turn on' the axes you want.

As an example I have been using the Mach4 post for several years, and then fitted a fourth axis. With the help of the Autodesk Fusion team it was a fairly simple matter to turn on the
    fourth axis feature of the post, its already there, just waiting to be activated. So I now use the identical post., its just now four axis activated.

Ask Autodesk if the post has a fourth axis function.

Craig

Downloads
    Uploads

pretty sure the milltronics post doesn't have the switch to turn on the 4th.

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi,
    have you opened the post and inspected the code?

Craig

Downloads
    Uploads

sure
    It's like learning another language.

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi,
    I jjust opened the Fusion supplied Milltronics post and found this:

Code:
    function defineMachine() {
      var useTCP = true;
      if (false) { // note: setup your machine here
        var aAxis = createAxis({coordinate:0, table:true, axis:[1, 0, 0], range:[-120, 120], preference:1, tcp:useTCP});
        var cAxis = createAxis({coordinate:2, table:true, axis:[0, 0, 1], range:[-360, 360], preference:0, tcp:useTCP});
        machineConfiguration = new MachineConfiguration(aAxis, cAxis);

setMachineConfiguration(machineConfiguration);
        if (receivedMachineConfiguration) {
          warning(localize("The provided CAM machine configuration is overwritten by the postprocessor."));
          receivedMachineConfiguration = false; // CAM provided machine configuration is overwritten
        }
      }

if (!receivedMachineConfiguration) {
        // multiaxis settings
        if (machineConfiguration.isHeadConfiguration()) {
          machineConfiguration.setVirtualTooltip(false); // translate the pivot point to the virtual tool tip for nonTCP rotary heads
        }
    So I rather suspect the post has both four AND five axis capability and TCP capability as well, although I'm less sure about this last feature. Either way you need to enquire of Autodesk how to activate
    the fourth axis.

Craig

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi,
    when I faced the prospect of editing a post I too was overwhelmed, but I was provided a link to a training document. Its a big and heavy read but
    I was able to glean enough that I was able to do what I needed. Its 288 pages, but don't worry, its only the first 287 that are the worst.
    I don't have the link but it is an official Autodesk publication.

I'm just finishing a fifth axis trunnion for my machine. I know the Mach4 post does not have five axis capability....so over the next few months I'm going to have to write my own.....
    and won't that be fun! Just like an in-grown toe-nail.

Craig

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Fusion 360 4th Axis Post Processor-autodeskposttrainingdoc-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks for the replies. The older I get the more frustrated I get that I was the guy that drove a 442 and not something with a small block Chevy while working at a speed shop that sold SBC go-fast parts by the truck load for pennies on the dollar compared to Olds performance parts. Now I'm "driving" a Milltronics instead of a Haas.

Autodesk sends me to a page full of people willing to charge me by the hour to remedy my situation while offering posts for "small block chevys" for the price of admission...... which I pay every year.

Of course, my first F360/4thAxis project isn't something I can easily produce on my B-port with an indexer.

To beat all, this isn't a hobby. My Milltronics just sits idle while I make one off parts using my b-port with prototrak and hand files. Makes me wish I bought a Haas, but I've never run one. I did learn another odd ball machine at another job, Mazak. There's another foreign language that's not used around the world.

Fusion 360 4th Axis Post Processor-barrel-jpg

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi,
    if you want to do it for free, you can. All the required code is built in, you just have to roll up your sleeves and get stuck in, its not that hard.
    If you can't or won't then there are companies whom specialize in this stuff, but you pay them. The good news is that the post is already loaded with the code you need, you just need someone to turn it on,
    and this could be done quickly, easily and cheaply, I would guess under $500.

It took me a week of reading and messing around and quite a few emails to Autodesk but I got my post running, and it cost nothing except the effort on my part to learn what to do.

Makes me wish I bought a Haas, but I've never run one.
    Haas has their own posts, and they to have to be activated to get them to work and often are tied or keyed to Haas fourth and fifth axis hardware. You don't suppose Haas got to be as big as it is WITHOUT charging people
    bigtime? Don't be deluded...of course they do.

Instead of moaning about it either get stuck in and do it yourself or find a reasonable soul to help you. It'll pay for itself in short order.

Craig