Vancouver Washington/Portland Oregon - Page 5

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345

Thread: Vancouver Washington/Portland Oregon

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Maker Faire @ OMSI

Hi Fellow Portlanders,
    I saw OMSI is hosting a Maker's Faire Sept 15th & 16th. Looks like it might be fun & interesting for DIY'rs - Maker Faire PDX | OMSI

Downloads
    Uploads

I'll be joining the CNC world in a month or so. Just waiting for my machine to be delivered from our Communist Overlords across the sea Can't wait and would love to find others to learn from.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hello all,
    north of Vancouver Wa.
    i have been checking out the Thread here and see there quit a few "locals", but not a lot of recent posts ....

i have been since april building my CNC ROUTER PARTS 48x96 and just about have it dial in.....
    software seems to be my weak spot .... any mentors close by ?

thanks

joe

Downloads
    Uploads

hi JOE,

my machine isn't started yet. I am still gathering parts. I still need the steel, aluminum, vaccuum motors, spindle, and the Rack for the linear motion. I have everything else bought. Those bearings and rails were so far the most spendy.

Where in 'north of Vancouver Wa' are you? I'd love to check out your CNCRP machine.

Jason

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I'm in Ridgefield about 3/4 mile NE of the I5 exit 11 interchange. If it's got a Fanuc, Mazak, Edge, Fadal, or Mach3 control, I can probably help you out. Give me a shout if you still need a hand. (360) 887-0702.

Quote Originally Posted by gigjoec View Post
    Hello all,
    north of Vancouver Wa.
    i have been checking out the Thread here and see there quit a few "locals", but not a lot of recent posts ....

i have been since april building my CNC ROUTER PARTS 48x96 and just about have it dial in.....
    software seems to be my weak spot .... any mentors close by ?

thanks

joe

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

jason and stu,
    great to meet you both, i'm in woodland so i'm sure we will be getting in contact very soon.................

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

@ jason ....what kind of machine are you looking to build ?

@ stu ........ what do you have for a machine ?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default just because i'm curious......

just because i'm curious............. what do you consider speed & acceleration set to reasonable parameters in Mach3 to be set at, i have a 4x8 Tslot table using nema 34 motors rack and pinion. i 'm also using the PDMX-126 and eithiernet smoothstepper w/mach3 which i'm having other issues with......
    so far i have just cut mdf and oak and on the oak i have noticed i have a "ridge" going from the center of the project out to the edge. i'm only guessing but i would say that my speed and acceleration are out of whack when it comes to corners.....
    as far as the smoothstepper i'm losing communications with mach 3 3000 plus lines into the running program.....
    any words of wisdow wold be extreamly helpful
    thanks
    joe

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by gigjoec View Post
    @ jason ....what kind of machine are you looking to build ?
    I'm buiding a 4'x8' 3 axis with a 4th axis for a lathe on the side. I am hoping I will be able to mill a solid oak (or maple, or whatever) column that would be 8ft tall using the lathe. I only need a few more parts, but lately my interest has gone from the machine to designing and making a circuit board for limit switches. I don't know why, but I can't stop thinking about the circuit. Having too much fun with it I guess.

The machine will be built ridgid enough to mill aluminum without a problem. I'm going to be purchasing a 4kw (maybe even a 5kw) spindle motor. I'll also be placing t-tracks for holding down the aluminum, as well as a vaccum system with at least 8 zones (24"x24" area for each) I'll be buying 8 of the shopvac motors, I think each motor for each zone should be sufficient enough to suck through a 1/2" spoilboard and hold down a full sheet of 3/4 plywood or Acrylic. I'm hoping it will be enough suction that I can cut all the way through the Plywood in one pass, without leaving a skin.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I'm in Longview, work in salmon creek. I consider myself both a trade machinist and hobby machinist, basically i'm an addict. Willing to assist or answer questions basically whenever; lots of experience with mach/linuxcnc, as well as fadal/fanuc.

Downloads
    Uploads

I live in Burien , Wa I am retired and building a hobby machine. I will be using Linuxcnc as a control software. I am very close to done. I just got all 3 axis working. My latest
    problem is when I start Mymachine I get an error message about real time error. When I work this out I think I may be near ready to do a test cut. Not having anyone nearby that uses Linux or is into cnc makes things go slow. I have to ask all questions and get answers from forums. The Linuxcnc people have been great. If there are any users in the Burien Area I could use some input or help. Having contact with someone that is a cnc user would be a big help.

Thank You
    Don

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by rlockwood View Post
    I'm in Longview, work in salmon creek. I consider myself both a trade machinist and hobby machinist, basically i'm an addict. Willing to assist or answer questions basically whenever; lots of experience with mach/linuxcnc, as well as fadal/fanuc.
    welcome rlockwood............ i live in woodland 1 mile off of I-5 so you drive pass twice a day feel free to stop by any time i'm home after 4 m-f , if you work in salmon creek is it possible you work at protech ?, i cant think of any place else in salmon creek that might have CNC's ...... i can be reached at 360.609.2171

joe

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hi All,

I am located near the Portland Airport. I've recently acquired a Tormach PCNC1100 Series III with 4th axis and duality lathe. After learning the basics of Sprutcam8, and setting up a basic tool library, I am just about ready to make some chips on a few parts I have been planning. However, I am new to machining, and would love some mentoring, especially with regard to tool selection and speeds/feeds. I downloaded the trial version of Gwizard, but I have found that it will give you a different result every time even if you input the exact same parameters. Therefore, I don't really trust it.

If anyone is interested in spending some time with me on the machine, I could trade some machine time, or barter something else for your time. Let me know. Thanks!

Vince

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi guys

I'm looking for people in the Portland/Vancouver area with working machines. I have some electronic switches I need to test against several different breakout boards. I could, in return, give some of the switches as a gift for letting me test them on your machine/breakout board. Even if you just have the break-out board, that would be good to, as long as it's hooked up somehow and working.

Let me know, and we can get together and do this!

Jason

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hello Rlockwood. My name is Randy Guthrie. I have some questions I am trying to get answered and would like to open up a dialogue with you. I live in Yakima but am in Longview to see my mom quite often. What I am trying to do concerns Injection molding molds. My e-mail is LilMonster9@aol.com which might be easier as I don't know if I am notified of messages in here. Really hope to hear from you. Thanks much, Randy

Hey guys I'm sorry I thought this would go directly to Rlockwood. I should have sent it as a general shout- out. I am trying to find someone close to Yakima that has experience making molds for injection molding. I am looking for someone I can work with to make some money. Opportunity is there, I am trying to put my team together. Would like to talk with anyone interested.

Last edited by lilmonster; 01-07-2014 at 05:32 PM. Reason: Just learning website -- See addition to post

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I'm mainly a prototype machinist, and as such have little experience with injection molds. Probably not the best fit

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks for getting back to me. I am looking everywhere as I don't want to go to china for this. Yakima has 2 guys that could do it but the one guy I was working with basically flaked out so I'm looking everywhere .

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345