*OLD* Hurco knee mill

Thread: *OLD* Hurco knee mill

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default *OLD* Hurco knee mill

Over on Prac..... Mach..... someone's posted pictures of a Bridgeport mill fitted with Hurco components for the X and Y axis. I've never seen a Hurco machine with this type of axis motors and large covers. I believe that the parts are original to the mill, as it's painted Hurco Blue all over.

I'm not sure that I can link to PM, so if you look in the Bridgeport and Hardinge section you'll see the thread in question.

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Aaron, I've not seen anything like this before. I'm assuming that it was just a retrofit package that they tried in the very early days as the motors look like the standard EC types fitted to the later knee/bed mills. The logos cast into the covers are the same as used to be printed on serial number plates from 1978 ish.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I use to work for Hurco and I thought I heard the rumor that the very first were made this way. Bridgeport machine with a Hurco retro fit. I have actually seen one, like this one in the photo and asked about. I can also tell you the name Hurco cam from the 2 gentlemen who invented the system. Jerry Rock, and a Mr. Humston of Humston machinery of Indianapolis. Started out the Humston Rock Co. and the morphed to Hurco.
    The had found one of these machines with a serial number of like 3 or something like that and were in the process of restoring it when I left.

Jetski (alias Tooling and Engineering Czar)
    "I may not have the keys to success.. but I have learned to pick the locks"

Downloads
    Uploads

Unless I missed something in the posts and this is the correct picture you were referring to;
    that is the standard Hurco setup for the KM-1 mill. Less the control box/monitor that stands beside the unit.

Downloads
    Uploads

Nah, that's a Bridgeport in the pic with a Hurco retrofit. Hurco used Kondia iron for the KMB1.

Downloads
    Uploads

You are correct that Hurco used Kondia iron for the KM"B"-1 but not the KM-1. The KM-1 is Bridgeport iron with a Hurco control. I have 2 KM-1's and 2 KMB-1's and have worked with them since the early 90's

JohnF
    Phoenix

Downloads
    Uploads

Also, in that pict it looks like the entire head was replaced with a standard Bridgeport head. The original Hurco modified head had a Z axis drive grafted on the top with ball screw, servo motor, switches and encoder that stands at least 18" taller than a stock head.
    I'll see if I can find a pic somewhere.

JohnF
    Phoenix

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Hurco

I have one just like it. Hurco electronics Bridgeport mill series 1. I am in the process of converting my to Mach3 with rutex drives.

John

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Hurco

You seem to be missing the z axles assembly that fits over the long draw bar. It contains the electrocraft servo motor with the separate encoder drive and limit switches.

John