Need Help! 1991 VF1 Tear down, clean and repair - Page 5

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345

Thread: 1991 VF1 Tear down, clean and repair

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

The machine is coming along nicely and looks great!

As for mounting the vises, a lot of people will have a variety of lenghts for 1/2-13 socket head cap screws and will use these along with the T-nuts that go into the table to lock the vise in place. Otherwise you can get some all thread and cut any lenth you need.

Regarding the light placement, all the newer machines will have a work light mounted in the left and right front corner of the machine pointed at the table. You should be able to fab up some kind of backing plate if needed, mount the light to it and run the wiring to the other light.

Keep up the good work!

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I really love this thread, beautiful work! As far as loading a program I just bought a 1994 vf3 and it was a bit tricky to get it to talk to the computer. I ended up using a USB to serial (rs232) converter and an old laptop. I had to solder up a custom 25 pin to 9 pin serial converter. I use some free software called teraterm to send the programs. I am on vacation now but can give you all the details on the connection the end of next week. What I can remember now is that I used the highest baud rate and X-modem mode. I have not figured out DNC yet but I can run a descent program (70k) from memory. Not sure how much memory you've got but you can do quite a bit with 70k, plenty to try things out.

Great work! Love it.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by dustincram View Post
    I really love this thread, beautiful work! As far as loading a program I just bought a 1994 vf3 and it was a bit tricky to get it to talk to the computer. I ended up using a USB to serial (rs232) converter and an old laptop. I had to solder up a custom 25 pin to 9 pin serial converter. I use some free software called teraterm to send the programs. I am on vacation now but can give you all the details on the connection the end of next week. What I can remember now is that I used the highest baud rate and X-modem mode. I have not figured out DNC yet but I can run a descent program (70k) from memory. Not sure how much memory you've got but you can do quite a bit with 70k, plenty to try things out.

Great work! Love it.
    Thanks for the info. I have an older laptop I plan to use. It has a serial connection so I hopefully will not need a USB to serial converter but I have one if I need it. I also have what I hope is the correct cable as well. I guess I will find out soon.

I had a chance to work on it some more today. I almost ready to make parts!

Steve

Downloads
    Uploads

Damn! that plastic looks better than new!

You did a *****en job. nothing more satisfying that rebuilding something completely and watching it run afterwords!

thanks
    Michael T.
    "If you don't stand for something, chances are, you'll fall for anything!"

Downloads
    Uploads

Well, its done!
    Almost done any way. I still have to get the lights installed. I need to get a bridge rectifier on the way home tomorrow and hopefully get it wired up. I also need to tweak the door closed limit switch, one side hits and the other side doesn't push it in far enough. It doesn't look adjustable so I am not sure how to go about it yet. The vises are mounted and squared.

Next I need to learn how to set the tool offsets and set part zero. I think I figured out how to set tool offsets but the part zero has me lost. Someone give me some guidance please. I have also written a small program to make the base for a run of brackets I have coming up. I need to learn how to load it and start it. Basically I need to learn the controls now. I now most of the basics but now I need to learn the finer points of the Haas controls. I have looked around the net trying to find some info but I have not had any luck. I have the original manual but that has not been very much help either. If any one has any advise, please share it with me. To everyone out there, thanks again for all of the help. It has been a fun build.
    Steve

Downloads
    Uploads

Looks great...now lets make some parts!

Part Zero - Find your part zero (using an indicator or edge-finder)
    Go to offset page, page up or down to highlight x in G54 (or whatever offset you're setting) and press the "part zero set" button.

This loads the distance from machine zero to part zero into the offset.

Again....good job

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Check with your local dealer as they may offer free classes for mills and lathes at their facility which will teach you about the control and basic programming. You can ask about any other resources they may have also.

Haas also has workbooks available for those classes, so you can ask to get a copy of those. You could even PM KenFoulks, Haas Applications, here and see if he can provide them for you electronically. The workbooks provide pretty good beginner info with plenty of sample programs.

Great work on the machine, well done!

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by metalmansteve View Post
    Looks great...now lets make some parts!

Part Zero - Find your part zero (using an indicator or edge-finder)
    Go to offset page, page up or down to highlight x in G54 (or whatever offset you're setting) and press the "part zero set" button.

This loads the distance from machine zero to part zero into the offset.

Again....good job
    Thanks for the info, I just need to go down there and get to it. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by haastec View Post
    Check with your local dealer as they may offer free classes for mills and lathes at their facility which will teach you about the control and basic programming. You can ask about any other resources they may have also.

Haas also has workbooks available for those classes, so you can ask to get a copy of those. You could even PM KenFoulks, Haas Applications, here and see if he can provide them for you electronically. The workbooks provide pretty good beginner info with plenty of sample programs.

Great work on the machine, well done!
    Thanks for the tip, I will shoot him a message and see what is available. I tried to get into a Haas class about 5 months ago at my local HFO but I want to say that it was $700 per person. The gentlemen I talked to about it said that he would try to get me in for free since I am not affiliated with any company but myself but only if enough people signed up. Well I didn't get to go because the class ended up canceled anyway because no one signed up. Maybe next time.
    Thanks again for the compliment!

Steve

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Definitelly check with them again, because usually the classes are free to Haas owners. I think you qualify now.

Downloads
    Uploads

Steve
    Any chance you are still around

Have same machine and have some questions

Thanks
    Mike

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345