+ and - with I&J

Thread: + and - with I&J

Downloads
    Uploads

Default + and - with I&J

I would like to be certain on the rules with using a positive or negative I and J with G2/3,X,Y. I was under the impression that positive and negative are used with respect to the 4 quadrants of a circle, and that refering to incremental values from the start of the radius to the center of the radius. 2 positive signs for upper right quadrant, and 2 negatives for down and left. I today saw two different posts for 2 different machines generated by an old SmartCam that contradicted that rule within the same sequence of code. Out of 6 radii 4 were signed they way I learned and the 5 was not. Is what I've learned not the correct rule for signing I and J code?
    Loren

Downloads
    Uploads

Possibly....you saw posts for machines that treat I and J differently.

I only program on Haas machines and on these machines I and J always give the "incremental" distance from the tool position to the center of the circle (arc).

But as far as I can figure out from reading different threads/posts here, it seems some machines interpret I and J as the 'absolute' location of the center.

So I don't think there is a "correct rule" for signing I and J, it depends on the machine.

An open mind is a virtue...so long as all the common sense has not leaked out.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Geof View Post
    Possibly....you saw posts for machines that treat I and J differently.

I only program on Haas machines and on these machines I and J always give the "incremental" distance from the tool position to the center of the circle (arc).

But as far as I can figure out from reading different threads/posts here, it seems some machines interpret I and J as the 'absolute' location of the center.

So I don't think there is a "correct rule" for signing I and J, it depends on the machine.
    +1

Machine/control dependent.