Most Important Greenhouse Gases - Page 3

View Poll Results: Which gas contributes the most to the "greenhouse effect"?

Voters
105. You may not vote on this poll
  • Carbon Dioxide (CO2)

24 22.86%
  • Methane (CH4)

17 16.19%
  • Nitrous Oxide (N2O)

3 2.86%
  • Water Vapor (H2O)

61 58.10%
Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Most Important Greenhouse Gases

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Geof View Post
    Doesn't Mr Brown have some responsibility here?
    Dear Geof,

Yikes! It's been many a long year since I last heard anybody mention Brownian Motion. It all comes flooding back...( unreliably )

Best wishes

Martin

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by martinw View Post
    Dear Geof,

Yikes! It's been many a long year since I last heard anybody mention Brownian Motion. It all comes flooding back...( unreliably )

Best wishes

Martin
    Obviously you are not past it.......yet.

Downloads
    Uploads

13 people so far have voted for CO2 as the most important gas..vs. 21 for H20

I'm more and more amazed with each vote that those 13 people aren't paying ANY attention.....Of course, how could you expect NASA to have any credibility (the same outfit that employs James Hansen....note the irony in that one!!)

".... Since water vapor is the most important heat-trapping greenhouse gas in our atmosphere, some climate forecasts may be overestimating future temperature increases...."
    http://www.nasa.gov/centers/goddard/...5humidity.html
    Hmmmmm......H20 is typically between .3-3% of our atmosphere, and makes CLOUDS which both cool and trap heat....while C02 is .038%....

Sorry...didn't mean to change the subject. We use SF6 here as an insulating gas for switches and spark gaps, among other things. So far no penguins have perished.

(I inhale virtual SF6 online to lower my voice. It makes me sound sexier on AOL....I do it here sometimes when I need to sound more authoritative.)

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by fizzissist View Post
    ....and makes CLOUDS which both cool and trap heat....
    Which do which? If you will excuse the poor grammar . Tis a serious question; I thought low level caused cooling and high, maybe very high could cause heating. However, recently I read something which suggested high level causes cooling. So am I back asswards?

Downloads
    Uploads

Cirrus clouds, which form between 30,000-60,000ft can both heat and cool, depending on thickness, altitude, and ice crystal size. Its generally considered that they trap heat though, by reflecting IR that is coming back up from earth.

So, the general idea is that high altitude clouds trap heat, and low altitude clouds reflect. Problem is, we really don't understand enough to quantify what's going on, so general circulation models (GCM) are terrible at giving us a good view of climate influences.

CloudSat and CALIPSO are gathering data on cirrus clouds, and should be giving us some interesting stuff soon...since they've been up for a year now??

Ice crystal formation and clouds are a HUGE unknown in climate science, and that's one reason I have a hard time swallowing the CO2 argument all by itself.

Here's CloudSat's homepage....just one of many links on clouds..
    http://cloudsat.atmos.colostate.edu/home

Downloads
    Uploads

Thank you. So I am not entirely upside down; high heating, low cooling to a first approximation. So are aircraft contrails high clouds? They cause heating? When they are not being used for dispersing mind altering drugs ?

The 'huge unknown' bit I was more or less aware of. One article I read explained that clouds were left out of some of the models the AGW crowd use because they didn't understand what the clouds did so they ignored them.

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Sulphur Hexafluoride.....Bad stuff

Dear climate change dudes,

SF6 is rated at about 22,000 times worse than C02 as a "greenhouse gas"

.http://www.earthfuture.com/stormyweather/greenhouse/

Could be true, but I'm always sceptical about those climate experts. They get bread on the table for "advising" politicians who are, frankly, completely out of their depth on any issues of a technical nature. The politicians, poor dears that they are, probably studied law at university and have no idea at all of the science. A lucky few may actually be able to change a light bulb.

They easily fall victim to the "experts". Not entirely surprising given that shed-loads of money come the "experts" way to report some crisis that only the politicians can legislate against, and incidentally, about which they have zero understanding ,and then attempt to take the credit for . It is a strange kind of symbiotic circle. The more jaundiced might call it (hmm) "playing" with each other.

OK, the rant ends here. How about science?

Atmospheric CO2 concentration about 350 parts per million

Atmospheric SF6 concentration less than 0.1 parts per billion ( could well be a lot less , but I can't measure below that level myself).

If my calculator is working, that suggests that there is a worst case of SF6 molecules being out-numbered by a factor of at least 3.5 million by CO2 molecules in the existing atmosphere. Even if the SF6/CO2 "badness ratio" of 22,000, SF6 is a pigmy.

Then there is the problem of H2O ( bad stuff} ...cows breaking wind.. pine trees giving off methane and all the rest.

You have to have a good laugh...

Best wishes

Martin

Downloads
    Uploads

...pine trees giving off methane...
    I thought it was terpenes.

Downloads
    Uploads

Thank you. So I am not entirely upside down; high heating, low cooling to a first approximation. So are aircraft contrails high clouds? They cause heating? When they are not being used for dispersing mind altering drugs ?

The 'huge unknown' bit I was more or less aware of. One article I read explained that clouds were left out of some of the models the AGW crowd use because they didn't understand what the clouds did so they ignored them.
    Contrails, so far as I've heard, tend to cool...which could offset some of the heating effect of the net exhaust components. The major exception being the jets used by AlGore, since they have Zero net effect on climage because he pays himself with carbon credits.

Odd, isn't it, that we don't hear much from the AGW crowd about the effects of depositing the exhaust gasses WAY up in the atmosphere??? Of course we won't hear much from 'em, because THEY like to enjoy the comfort, convenience, and speed of jet travel.

Downloads
    Uploads

Contrails, so far as I've heard, tend to cool..AGW crowd...like to enjoy the comfort, convenience, and speed of jet travel...
    Comfort, convenience and speed have nothing to do with it. They are making a gallant sacrifice for the sake of the planet. You state: "(Jet exhaust} contrails...tend to cool."

Which makes me feel very virtuous about an upcoming trip to Budapest.

Downloads
    Uploads

I thought it was terpenes.
    Dear Geof,

You are almost certainly right. Alas, it almost certainly won't be the last time I parade my stupidity in public.

Anyway, I had a closer inspection of the web link in post #47.

It says the atmospheric concentration of SF6 is about 5 parts per trillion, that it is growing at about 6% per year, and that it is 22,000 times worse than CO2 as a greenhouse gas.

I had assumed that the background level of SF6 was about 20 times greater.

If you believe their figures, it's going to quite some time for SF6 to make any difference to global warming. It's not a pigmy....... it a pigmy of a pigmy of a pigmy....(etc).

Ah, then there's that problem with H2O.

Best wishes

Martin

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

We probably ought to be careful about pointing out the inconvenient facts about water vapor.

Why? Because next the environ mentalists will be wanting to tax and regulate your water usage!

You could probably enslave people just as well by throttling their water as you could by throttling their energy. Think about it. Oh, wait, they're already busy on that front!

--97T--

Downloads
    Uploads

Anyway, I had a closer inspection of the web link in post #47.
    Ah, then there's that problem with H2O.
    I had a closer look at that link too...and I'm not terribly impressed. One can be easily mislead by the numbers....or lack of...

Notice that there is NO value for radiative forcing for water, which makes up (typically) between .3 to 3% of our atmosphere. There's a radiative value for something that constitutes POINT ZERO THREE EIGHT PERCENT (that's .038% ), but not for something that's an order of magnitude or 2 more???

The reason is simple, of course, it is because we don't know. We do know it is a lot, but it varies, it varies a LOT, and we don't know the net sign. Does that mean we can leave it out of the equation. NOOOOOOOOO!!!!

That is one of the many reasons that the gcm's don't work.

The residence time of H2O is estimated to be around 43 days....and to use IPCC tolerances, make that +/- 21 days. (my value)

Downloads
    Uploads

..... because we don't know. We do know it is a lot, but it varies, it varies a LOT, and we don't know the net sign. Does that mean we can leave it out of the equation. NOOOOOOOOO!!!!.....
    Oh dear, you will never make a good scientist. Of course you leave it out; how are you going to make the model fit your preconceived notions if you don't?

An open mind is a virtue...so long as all the common sense has not leaked out.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Did you just call him Dear?

Hehe.

--97T--

Downloads
    Uploads

It's ok...we're on pretty good terms at the moment..

Downloads
    Uploads

Oh dear, you will never make a good scientist. Of course you leave it out; how are you going to make the model fit your preconceived notions if you don't?
    TONIGHT ON CNN'S Headline News!!
    http://www.glennbeck.com/tv/climate/...rmingsppt1.pdf

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by NinerSevenTango View Post
    Did you just call him Dear?

Hehe.

--97T--
    No, lower case 'd'.

An open mind is a virtue...so long as all the common sense has not leaked out.

Downloads
    Uploads

"....Water vapour is the most important greenhouse gas, and carbon dioxide (CO2) is the second-most important one. Methane, nitrous oxide, ozone and several other gases present in the atmosphere in small amounts also contribute to the greenhouse effect...."
    For those of you who voted for CO2, you're in disagreement with even the IPCC. Really. Honest. That's where I got the quote!!

The IPCC says that H2O is #1. Numero Uno. El Primero. Ichiban.

So there ya have it. The IPCC says it's water vapor, the AGW deniers say it's water vapor. Even Eric Cartman says it's water vapor.

http://ipcc-wg1.ucar.edu/wg1/Report/AR4WG1_FAQs.pdf

Downloads
    Uploads

The IPCC says that H2O is #1. Numero Uno. El Primero. Ichiban.

]

Dear fizzissist,

Presumably boiling water for a cup of coffee is now regarded as a greater global crime that releasing the carbon dioxide in my cans of lager......?

The IPCC is suggesting that the responsible global citizen should go all out to hoard the beer?

Yikes!

Best wishes

Martin

Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast