Small CNC DIY plans needed

Thread: Small CNC DIY plans needed

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Small CNC DIY plans needed

Hi,
    I'm new here so I hope you'll bare with me. I am in need of DIY plans for a light duty CNC engraver/router or Laser. The economy and me being retired are major factors in the construction of this project. I have the electronic and hardware abilities and am absolutely sure I can build a CNC if heading in the right direction. What I am trying to do is use reverse engrave/router or lasered plastic to build guitar amplifier front and rear chassis plates, you know...the decals or plastic material that has volume, treble, bass, etc on it. I have found some companies that can supply 1/16" clear reverse engraved plastic material for routing or laser. The plastic is two layer with the front being clear and the rear, in my case is black. Taking off the black material in reverse will allow the back to be painted, in my case white, with the lettering and design showing through the clear front. The material that needs to be taken off the reverse side would be a maximum of 0.003". The product size is to be 2" X 24". I don't need a CNC that is very wide but it has to be able to route or laser a minimum 2" working Y axis and 24" working X axis with accuracy for pre-cut 2" X 24" material. I prefer to pre-cut the material into those dimensions before engraving/router or lasering. A dremel tool with the correct bit will work for an engraver/router style CNC and I'm still researching info on designing and using a small laser. As with all of us, cost is a great factor in this project since building amps is just a hobby with hopes of it developing into more. The stepper motors do not have to be monsters but need to be a small degree movement for routing round holes. lettering and designs on the plastic. If you know of anyone that has attempted a project like mine, please let me know or point me in the right direction of DIY plans that would do what I need to do. I appreciate any and all help I can get to cut down on my construction time.

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Im also retired, I build cnc machines as a hobby, great enjoyment in completing one and watching it run for the first time, I dont know what kind of time frame you have for needing the machine, but the cost factor in building a machine with the accuracy you will need for small lettering and repeatability you will have to consider you can get all your parts on ebay at a fair price, but it will take time. Im not questioning your ability, they are fun to build, but if you need one real soon check on ebay you can order a small machine or a laser engraver from china just as cheap as it cost to build one. You can also purchase plans on ebay that can be modifiyed for your needs. Just go to ebay and type in cnc routers or engravers and I think you will find what you are looking for. I hope this will help you, I wish you good luck. If I can help you any way just leave a message and I will reply as soon as I can.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks for the quick reply. Urgency for me is like three or four months. Actually, I have been researching this project for well over four months already, so I guess the urgency isn't as dire as I might have made it out to be.

My main concern is in size and accuracy. I would really like to just buy a CNC, sit it on a table, secure it and go to work but the prices are what I call outrageous for no more than I would need it to do work for me. Heck, I probably will have way more in a DIY CNC than I would have work for it to do. I also fully understand the old saying "You get what you PAY for" so parts from companies that have been around a fair amount of time are right up my ally.

What I am looking for is advice on what components would suit a DIY of this kind for me. That is why I went into such detail about what the requirements would be. There is a lot of junk parts on the web and one can get stuck buying stuff that is useless once it arrives at the front door. (Once bitten, twice shy, eBabe!) I've looked at three different plans that I thought would work for me if I scale them down tremendously but as a newbie, I'm not sure if I can actually scale a large CNC down and maintain any remnants of accuracy. So, I guess you could say, I'm looking for experience from others to help me get on the right track. Like... if you could do it again, what would you do?

Since I only need a Y axis of 2" working area and using a lettering font size of 16pt (1/8"), have a need to cut holes thru 1/16" plastic and make accurate 0.003" x 1.5" and smaller circle cuts, what would be the best stepper motors and screws for the best accuracy of such small detail? Do I need a gantry Z axis or table adjust ability to obtain my depth cut requirements? Do the high priced screws and nuts afford me this kind of accuracy or would I be better off going with a finer thread, good quality screw? Since the torque requirements would be so light to cut down 0.003" or thru 1/16" plastic, do I really need high torque stepper motors? Or..... am I chasing a pig trying to get a CNC to do this kind of work?

FYI, I have been reading and finding out a lot at this website:
    Build your own CNC router Step 2: The frame

Yes, I have lots of questions and do not have the finances to make high cost mistakes in hardware so I'll say thanks to all that will offer an old man (65) good advice .

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

For what your asking for, don't think you can build one as nice for the price that John(Microcarve) sells his for. http://www.cnczone.com/forums/diy-cn...p_machine.html If you have time read it all, if not just read the last 4-5 pages.

Nice guy, good machine, and help after the sale.

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Easy machine

Have you considered a Scott engraver or a New Hermes engraver? If not take a look at item# 170792490063 on ebay its a New Hermes model KV a nice machine he has it priced at 695.00 but no bids, you may purchase this one or one like it cheaper. I own a Scott very simular to this one. These machines are very accurate they are mostly used to make name plates. this may be an answer you are looking for. But if you are set on cnc the finer the thread the better accuracy, belts are good if they dont run to fast, they will start skipping steps. and if you build one dont use wood, aluminum is easy to work with, 8020 garage has great extrusions, a many cnc machines have been built all over the world with 8020 extrusions. anyway take a look at Scott or New Hermes.