edgecam commercial cost?

Thread: edgecam commercial cost?

Downloads
    Uploads

Downloads
    Uploads

If you mean 3 axis as in 3D surface machining, It's expensive. Maintenance is also very expensive. I dont think it has a good variety of 3D toolpaths either. It's really for prismatic parts, more than anything else. Call a local dealer and get a quote.

Mike Mattera

Tips For Manufacturing Training CD's, DVD's for Mastercam, SolidWorks, Inventor, G-Code Training & More
    http://www.tipsforcadcam.com

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Mattera View Post
    If you mean 3 axis as in 3D surface machining, It's expensive. Maintenance is also very expensive. I dont think it has a good variety of 3D toolpaths either. It's really for prismatic parts, more than anything else. Call a local dealer and get a quote.

Mike Mattera
    Mike, could you please define (made for prismatic parts)

thanks

Downloads
    Uploads

Flat faces on a block. Finding features and machining on the Front, Back, Bottom, Top, Right, Left or any user defined flat face. On that face are 2D machining features like Pockets, Drilled Holes, etc...

It's not really the preferred package for Mold work.

Mike Mattera

Tips For Manufacturing Training CD's, DVD's for Mastercam, SolidWorks, Inventor, G-Code Training & More

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Look I am a new guy here so I don't want to ruffle a bunch of feathers but Mike your comments could not be further from the truth when it comes to EC's capabilities.

As far as the price goes look to pay $10,000+/seat for high end 4 axis milling, price decrease quickly with less options or increases with more. Yearly maintenance is about 16% of the total cost.

I am not affiliated with EdgeCam.

Downloads
    Uploads

Which comments are those....

The "Not well suited for Mold work" or my description of what Prismatic Parts means.

and... this is an open forum, your not going to ruffle my feathers.

BTW: Welcome to the forum.

Mike Mattera

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

EDGECAM IS OK FOR MOLD WORK...BUT IT IS POST PROCESSOR DEPENDANT... I ASSUME THAT THE SUPER SMOOTH TOOL PATHS FOR MOLD WORK CAN BE FINE TUNED WITH A "PURCHASED" POST PROCESSOR...

DONT MIND MY SPELLING ... IM JUST A MASHINIST

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Mattera View Post
    Which comments are those....

The "Not well suited for Mold work" or my description of what Prismatic Parts means.

and... this is an open forum, your not going to ruffle my feathers.

BTW: Welcome to the forum.

Mike Mattera

Thanks for the welcome,

As far as mold work, I haven't found one yet that was not quiet easy to machine.

I would hazard to guess you have the wrong licenses thereby you are limited in the commands available to you.

Quote Originally Posted by helix77 View Post
    EDGECAM IS OK FOR MOLD WORK...BUT IT IS POST PROCESSOR DEPENDANT... I ASSUME THAT THE SUPER SMOOTH TOOL PATHS FOR MOLD WORK CAN BE FINE TUNED WITH A "PURCHASED" POST PROCESSOR...
    Your best bet is to make your own posts, it is very easy. You just need to take the time to learn it, many companies spend thousands of dollars to have posts created for them. That money would be much better spent on post building classes. Having the ability to create and edit your own posts is a huge advantage.

I would like to know what licenses most people are using, I am willing to bet most have purchased the wrong and/or unsuitable ones.

Downloads
    Uploads

I had a full reseller license. I was a reseller.

As for it being well suited to Mold work: I'm comparing it to other cam systems that do a better job of creating smooth efficient contours. Or have better contour control options.

And the reason some people might have purchased the wrong licenses, is because it's more expensive than other systems, so they bought what they could afford. In which case.. your right. They dont have the capabilities they need because they we're trying to save money.

Mike Mattera

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

HEY BARON... I KNOW HOW TO BUILD CGD (CODE WIZARD) FILES.... AND I HAVE DONE JUST THAT.... BUT THE COUNTOURING STILL IS A BIT ROUGH.. I HAVE BEEN TOLD BY HAAS (AND EVERYONE ELSE) THAT THE CODE ISNT SMOOTH ENOUGH.... IS THERE A WAY TO ADJUST THE MCP FILE ASSUMING THAT IS THE RIGHT FILE TO ADJUST....(I ASSUME THAT IS WHAT YOU MEANT)

DONT MIND MY SPELLING ... IM JUST A MASHINIST

Downloads
    Uploads

Helix: What is your tolerance set to. The default is about .001" set it to .0002 and see if it improves. I dont thinkit has anything to do with your post. Unless your only outputting 3 places .XXX

When you switch to Machining mode you set the tolerance for the overall toolpath. But you do have other places where you can set tolerances as well.

Mike Matera

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default EdgeCAM Support

Hey Mike, my buddy in Phoenix says that EdgeCAM's technical support has now moved from local dealer support to out of the country. He said that the support guy could hardly speak English (hard to understand) and knew less of EdgeCAM than my buddy.

Is this true?

Downloads
    Uploads

That sums it up pretty good.

Mike Mattera

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Unhappy

This is a shame as EdgeCAM seems like a good enough CAM system. I can't figure out why Planit would set up support like this. Seems counter productive, at least for me it would be. I have always wanted my support as local as possible and the support reps to know more than myself. Anyway, they must know what their doing. They must offer superior training material, tutorials ETC to make up for this.

Downloads
    Uploads

HemiCuda said: "Anyway, they must know what their doing. They must offer superior training material, tutorials ETC to make up for this."

That's pretty funny. You're a funny guy.

Have you seen a lot of Edgecam Training material?
    Have you know the Edgecam training material to be superior?

Here's a simple test. Go to google and type in Edgecam and see how many training books/videos come up in the listing.

Then type in some other popular cam system and see what you get.

Mike Mattera

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Talking

I see what you mean. Anyway, I'm not here to bash EdgeCAM, we don't even use EdgeCAM at our shop. I just find it interesting sometimes to try and figure out what companies are thinking. Especially when I do have buddies who are using EdgeCAM.

It would baffle me, in today's economy why a company would diminish their support capability and at the same time have such weak training assets.
    Having said this, maybe they too are having financial problems. This might explain why they were bought out by Planit then restructured support.

Who really knows .......... I don't. Maybe the EdgeCAM guys have a kick ass product that's so easy to use that they don't need training or support