DNC4U? Anyone?

Thread: DNC4U? Anyone?

Downloads
    Uploads

Default DNC4U? Anyone?

Does anyone run this program to feed their Dyna's? I see it referred to in a few places but find no real info on it. Does this allow you to feed the RS232 port of the DM2400 or simialr Dyna from the PP? Seems to easy but I do see a 4400 user or 2 using it. For 149.00 might be a lot easier than a refit. Cant be that easy can it?

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Fastest1 View Post
    Does anyone run this program to feed their Dyna's? I see it referred to in a few places but find no real info on it. Does this allow you to feed the RS232 port of the DM2400 or simialr Dyna from the PP? Seems to easy but I do see a 4400 user or 2 using it. For 149.00 might be a lot easier than a refit. Cant be that easy can it?
    Which Dyna software are you running?

Downloads
    Uploads

I am not and I dont have any. I dont really understand the communication interface. I do understand that it will run conversational. It is limited to 900 lines. I saw that the dnc4u could communicate thru the RS232 port. I run BobCad is all that I have. I am either going to convert my mill to a Gecko G540 and run Mach but if this would allow me to use the machine as is. I would try it. I did meet some people today who have access to many different types of software. The machine that I have (DM2400) I believe either ran DynaCom or Skip control? I really dont know the differences and just barely was learning Cad. Tips? Maybe let me know the path I have chosen is the wrong 1? I do have a fully functioning membrane/keypad and the controller. I can get the machine to run the built in canned cycles (I think) but cant feed anything else to the machine. I originally was going to convert it over and I still might. Just checking all of my options.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Fastest1 View Post
    I am not and I dont have any. I dont really understand the communication interface. I do understand that it will run conversational. It is limited to 900 lines. I saw that the dnc4u could communicate thru the RS232 port. I run BobCad is all that I have. I am either going to convert my mill to a Gecko G540 and run Mach but if this would allow me to use the machine as is. I would try it. I did meet some people today who have access to many different types of software. The machine that I have (DM2400) I believe either ran DynaCom or Skip control? I really dont know the differences and just barely was learning Cad. Tips? Maybe let me know the path I have chosen is the wrong 1? I do have a fully functioning membrane/keypad and the controller. I can get the machine to run the built in canned cycles (I think) but cant feed anything else to the machine. I originally was going to convert it over and I still might. Just checking all of my options.
    If you were running the 4M software from a PC, you could give an internal DNC command which has pretty much unlimited file length. Not sure if your machine ever had that option. My DM2900 does and it is nice. There is a thread on here which gives a rundown on all dyna machines. You should try and find it.

Roger

Downloads
    Uploads

I appreciate the reply. I had read up on the machines a bit but really had no intention of running any of the old software or electronics. I never had the ISA card and understood they were very expensive. Then I just stumbled upon the DNC4U website. It sounded like the ability to feed the machine was not the problem. I am not sure how difficult it would be to acquire the 4M or other required software. Having just met the manager of a pretty large shop here in Houston, I think he has access to all kinds of software. In fact the minute I told him about having to communicate via an RS232 interface he mentioned use DNC4U! I had just read about it the day before so this was sounding more possible. He did extend an invitation to his shop and even showed me a small production part that he would like to perform a few more processes on and he needs a small cnc mill. I even thought of maybe working with him on my machine and completing the features for the part while learning a little more about the skill. Of course being around the professionals will probably get me farther than stumbling thru. Maybe we both could make a little change. The way I understand it he does quite a bit of work on the side and or has a few things being made in garages of his friends or machinists. I am not too busy!

Downloads
    Uploads

Ok maybe I am just making it hard on myself in my understanding of how all of this fits together. I was under the impression that I needed an ISA card for uploading to the RS232 port, it turns out that might have been a misunderstanding on my part. Sounds like "predator and or DNC4U, will do the transfer just fine. It is the writing of the conversational code that I dont have the software for. Roberto at Dyna says he cant offer the software because it requires a dongle which are no longer available. I do have BobCad. Not knowing really what a post processor does (the 1 I have used with my Sherline works fine and I have never tried anything else) I was and am confused. It might be that the post processor actually converts my gcode to conversational? Is this true? My understanding is that BobCad has a post processor for this machine. If that is the case, does this mean I could draw my part as usual, greate the gcode and then the post processor would convert it to conversational? Then just transfer it to the RS232 port via the DNC4U or Predator? I can still get the DynaCom software so maybe even transfer it that way? That sounds too easy (well not easy but no real hurdle or rebuild of electronics) I do understand it is supposed to be slower but I am in no hurry.