D's Router 2007 - Page 5

Page 5 of 17 FirstFirst ... 234567815 ... LastLast

Thread: D's Router 2007

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi all, I just received an e-mail from Roton. My screws and nuts shipped yesterday. Shipping was a bit of a hornets tail , but the conversion from dollars to euro softened the blow a LOT ! ! Now all that I have to contend with is customs, but so far Im on track for how much they're costing. If Im VERY lucky 'fingers crossed', customs sometimes dont charge everything, so hopefully my little tube and box will slip through. Touch Wood!

Since nobody replied to the last post, I've decided to go with the 30x30x5 angle. Might pick it up tomorrow. L8rs.

Last edited by thkoutsidthebox; 04-10-2007 at 04:34 PM.

Downloads
    Uploads

Bought my 30x30x5 aluminium angle today. Hopefully will receive lots of other items in the post this week, so lots of pics by the weekend.

I want to save money by buying bolts and nuts in larger quantities. Anyone know where I can buy metric bolts and hex nuts in bulk? Nuts are M8's & Bolts are 4" M8 machine screws?

Also, anyone know where I can buy Metric Tee Nuts ?

By 'bulk' I mean quantities of about 500. Thanks.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Thk
    Before you cut your aluminium angle you could use it as a strait edge for your x-rails as they are normaly quit strait.
    Just an idea.

Den

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by thkoutsidthebox View Post
    Bought my 30x30x5 aluminium angle today. Hopefully will receive lots of other items in the post this week, so lots of pics by the weekend.

I want to save money by buying bolts and nuts in larger quantities. Anyone know where I can buy metric bolts and hex nuts in bulk? Nuts are M8's & Bolts are 4" M8 machine screws?

Also, anyone know where I can buy Metric Tee Nuts ?

By 'bulk' I mean quantities of about 500. Thanks.

How many you need? I have bags of 100 count M8 4" allen head screws, and nuts, and can get larger quantities. Of course, I get them down the street pretty cheap
    May not do too much good for you, though, considering shipping and all.

Fastenal (place I use) also has T-nuts.

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy"
    -RedGreen show.

Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks matsuura, thats a good idea.

Thanks also massa....although I'm not sure if your just bragging!! Im hoping to find somewhere over here to get them, preferably from the UK, but at least Europe. But thanks buddy. I haven't been able to find any metric T nuts online, and obviously imperial are no use with metric screws....

Downloads
    Uploads

No, if I was bragging, I would have told you about the sheer size of my nuts and screw.

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

-RedGreen show.

Downloads
    Uploads

Is that before or after you looked at the pic you posted in the chat the other night?

Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html[/URL]

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html[/URL]

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    [URL]http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html[/URL]

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by ger21 View Post
    Is that before or after you looked at the pic you posted in the chat the other night?
    I don't know, Ger. My question is, would you ever trust me to click on another one of my links again?

Pancho says ""

-RedGreen show.

Downloads
    Uploads

rofl!!

Tell Pancho to keep his nuts to himself, and that goes for you too massa....unless yourself and ger have a little thing going on.....which I dont want to know about!!

On a more plutonic topic, I'm hopefully picking up my drill press today. Have to call him back in a while to see if he has one in stock. Im going to retrofit it with some type of work light, and eventually some type of coolant splash screen and pump system for drilling metal.

Downloads
    Uploads

glad you got a kick out of it, "Sketch"
    Now all I need is a good pic of gerry to modify. Hmm...

-RedGreen show.

Downloads
    Uploads

Question Urgent Question ??

I need advice on this b4 lunchtime if possible. Its 10.25am GMT here now. I have to decide between two drill presses now. Both are pedestal. Reason being that the SIP pedestal shown is only €50 more expensive than the bench mounted. Its a slightly smaller (In max drill diameter - 16mm instead of 18mm) pedestal than the one I originally wanted. Here they are:

http://www.powertooldirect.co.uk/rec...f8003b8d4277bd

The pic at the following link is wrong, but the info is correct:
    http://www.toolsnstuff.co.uk/product...th=218_409_411

The record power is a 1HP motor but slightly smaller and more expensive.
    The SIP is a 3/4 HP motor.

I figure if I buy the SIP I can always upgrade the motor later, but with the RP I can't make it physically bigger.

Thanks for any advice or any experiences anyone has had with either of these two.

Last edited by thkoutsidthebox; 04-12-2007 at 05:40 AM.

Downloads
    Uploads

I bought the SIP Drill Press. Looking forward to getting home later and trying it out. L8rs.

I'll put up pics too.

As an aside...I rang the place again today re. my polycarbonate sheeting to tell them I wouldn't be getting it for about two weeks. To make a long story short, they have two 3 Axis routers. One is 7 yrs old and needing refurbishment, and the guy said I might be able to help them with a problem with the rails.
    I explained that I'm only into the whole cnc thing for about a year and probably wouldn't be able to help, but that I'd love to see the machines, so he said to call him whenever I have sizes for my sheet and drop in, he'll show me them. I'll point him in the direction of cnczone if I think he could get help here. L8rs.

Last edited by thkoutsidthebox; 04-12-2007 at 11:21 AM.

Downloads
    Uploads

Talking Lots of Goodies!!

Hi all,

I didn't get much done this evening because a lot of stuff arrived in the post and I spent my time sorting it all out.

Pic1) Just my 30x30x5 aluminium angle.

I suppose the new drill press is as good a place to start as any!

Pic2) The Drill Press before being unloaded from my car.

Pic3 & 4) Drill Press Component Parts.

Pic5 to 11) Assembling the Drill Press. I have sooo many plans for this, but they all have to wait until the router is finished. I'm thinking like mentioned b4 a coolant setup and enclosure for metal drilling. A table and fence for accurate woodwork. Some sort of chain/magnet for my chuck key. I saw a laser attachment online that I want. Possibly even 1 Axis cnc !! You can see in the 2nd last pic with my tool holder and drill press vice, and the chuck guard in place. Im thinking that the drill press vice will be rapidly replaced with my custom table and fence when I have time.

Time to follow me on to the next post:......

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails D's Router 2007-30x30x5-aluminium-angle-jpg   D's Router 2007-drillpress-car-jpg   D's Router 2007-drill-press-parts-jpg   D's Router 2007-drillpressheadassembly-jpg  

D's Router 2007-attaching-base-jpg   D's Router 2007-head-assembly-positioni-jpg   D's Router 2007-attaching-handles-jpg   D's Router 2007-attaching-chuck-jpg  

D's Router 2007-attaching-belts-jpg   D's Router 2007-fully-setup-jpg   D's Router 2007-drill-press-column-jpg  
    Last edited by thkoutsidthebox; 04-12-2007 at 05:03 PM.

Downloads
    Uploads

Talking And more goodies.....

And we have some more new arrivals...

Pic1) I received my ABEC 7 bearings, sealed.

Pic2) A sanding belt cleaning stick. I've needed one of these for a while now and just bought it while I was at it.

Pic3) A 22mm Forstner Bit I picked up today while getting the Drill Press. I'll use this to fit my bearings, since I dont want to be using a spade bit on my hardwood.

Pic4) My new Trend Airshield PAPR setup. Not the PAPR I originally intended getting, but I dont need the welding capability at the moment and this was a lot cheaper, so I'll buy a seperate one for welding in a few months when I get my welder. This along with my shopvac should hopefully keep my lungs safe.

Pic5) I bought more shellac sanding sealer, and also some dewaxed shellac flakes to try. Does anyone know what you dissolve the shellac flakes in, I can't remember?

Pic6) I received my relay board, breakout board, and connectors from carolbrent. I forgot about the darned voltage thing, so I'm going to have to buy a transformer, and either change my spindle for a 120V or just not have spindle on/off through the system. I'll prob have to change to a 120V spindle if I want it to be connected to my E-Stop, can anyone clarify this? Maybe the relay board will work with 220V ?

Pic7 & 8) My X-Acto knives made short work of removing the Gorilla Glue Squeeze out from my gantry beam mounts.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails D's Router 2007-abec-7-bearings-jpg   D's Router 2007-beltcleaningstick-jpg   D's Router 2007-forstner-bit-jpg   D's Router 2007-papr-jpg  

D's Router 2007-shellac-jpg   D's Router 2007-relayboard-jpg   D's Router 2007-removing-squeeze-jpg   D's Router 2007-tided-x-acto-jpg  

Last edited by thkoutsidthebox; 04-12-2007 at 05:07 PM.

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Last But Not Least

And finally,

My screws arrived from the states today but there was nobody here to collect them . UPS left a notice saying they'll be back on Tuesday which is fair enough. I didn't get away with paying no customs!

Last edited by thkoutsidthebox; 04-12-2007 at 05:08 PM.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Man, just the press drill will make a huge difference in your build.
    What is the belt cleaning stick? Do you put that before sanding? Does it work?

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by thkoutsidthebox View Post
    Does anyone know what you dissolve the shellac flakes in, I can't remember?
    Denatured alcohol.

Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html[/URL]

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html[/URL]

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    [URL]http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html[/URL]

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by matsuura View Post
    Man, just the press drill will make a huge difference in your build.
    What is the belt cleaning stick? Do you put that before sanding? Does it work?
    Glad to hear that about the Drill Press. I learned as many lessons from my solsylva build as possible, and the need for drilling accurate holes was a major one.

The stick is used after sanding whenever the belt is nearly used up. You put the cleaning stick against the belt while its running and it takes off all the crud, dust, sap, and other stuff. Seemingly the grit on the belts themselves is often still good when belts get thrown out, its just got blocked up with crud. This is the first one I've bought so I'll let u know how it goes, hopefully I won't have to buy so many belts!

I rang UPS and they're delivering my screws to me in work on Monday.

Thanks ger, denatured alcohol, thats it! Now I just have to find a source....maybe I'll get some the old fashioned way, a poitín still in the back shed!! .....sshhhh, dont tell anyone...

Last edited by thkoutsidthebox; 04-13-2007 at 08:57 AM.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Yes the drill press will make a big difference.

Thinkoutsidethebox

Just wanted to tell you how much I like your build threads. Your first solsylva
    inspired me to build one. I made mine with Oak and I am very happy so far. I am thinking that on a sign router like this absolute size is not critical. What I mean is if cuts 10 in long or 10.05 in It's not that big of a deal.
    I am now hooking up the candcnc mini IO board for home limits and e-stop and I have the remote relay for spindle start, and just to guild the lily I also got there new Joy Stick Pendent but I can't hook that up until my second parallel port get here.

So good luck with this new build. I am excited to see what you come up with. Oh year you will love the new drill press.

ron

Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks for the kind words ron, I'm flattered to hear that you enjoyed the previous thread, although I see your a retired machinist, so I think you might be giving me too much credit, and have a head-start on me with skills and experience.

I think you may have made a good call using hardwood on your solsylva build. The MDF/Softwood combination I used was just not solid enough, not to mention what was probably my worst problem, the flexibility in the 2mm aluminium angle I used, and a couple of other problems .

I agree that accuracy to size is not critical for this purpose, definately not down into small fractions, but I want to at least be able to get better accuracy than by hand, and I dont think my previous build could do that. If this build gets me to +/- 0.5mm with good repeatability I'll be happy, any more is great.

I probably could have achieved my aims on this build by starting a new solsylva with a lot of upgrades instead of designing a new machine, but that was part of the fun! Also, I just didn't like some of the design elements.

Anyway, sounds like your making lots of great improvements to your electronics at the moment. Feel free to post pics, I'd love to see them.

L8rs.

PS: I cant wait to make some real parts with the drill press!!

Quote Originally Posted by ronmark View Post
    Thinkoutsidethebox
    Just wanted to tell you how much I like your build threads. Your first solsylva
    inspired me to build one. I made mine with Oak and I am very happy so far. I am thinking that on a sign router like this absolute size is not critical. What I mean is if cuts 10 in long or 10.05 in It's not that big of a deal.
    I am now hooking up the candcnc mini IO board for home limits and e-stop and I have the remote relay for spindle start, and just to guild the lily I also got there new Joy Stick Pendent but I can't hook that up until my second parallel port get here.
    So good luck with this new build. I am excited to see what you come up with. Oh year you will love the new drill press.
    ron

Page 5 of 17 FirstFirst ... 234567815 ... LastLast