Kennametal Mill1 EM's

Thread: Kennametal Mill1 EM's

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Kennametal Mill1 EM's

The shop recently purchased a 3/4" Kennametal Mill1 indexable endmill. We've been using a Seco 50mm facemill for awhile now and have no complaints whatsoever. This is not a first venture into the world of indexable tooling. The Kennametal cuts well - on size, good finish, good tool life - but very loudly. We're talking LOUD LOUD LOUD LOUD. The company tech said that's the nature of the beast - small diameter two flute indexable mills are naturally noisy. My experience with solid two-fluters has been similar (which is why the shop uses 4 flutes), but I'm reluctant to consider a wall of noise and vibration as 'normal'. Does anybody else concur? Is this normal??

Thanks ahead of time!

Similar Threads:
    Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.

Downloads
    Uploads

i suppose it would be what you concider as loud and what you are comparing it to ,generally i find most insert endmills to be loud , we work with kennametal ingersol and some sandvik ,and i dont find a whole lot of difference between them , if the insert life is good and the finish and sizes are good then it should be fine ,

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

It has a 1.75" length/overhang/whatever, so something tells me the shank is flexing a little bit. I've also noticed that the axis motor loads are bouncing around like crazy as it cuts, but the spindle load remains quite low for the amount of material being removed. Looks like I'll be getting a more comfortable pair of earmuffs.

Thanks for your help, dertsap.

Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.