CNC3018 possible upgrades

Thread: CNC3018 possible upgrades

Downloads
    Uploads

Default CNC3018 possible upgrades

I know this is at the bottom of the low-end of machines, but given some space limitations, it's the only thing I can use right now. Therefore, I'd want to get the most out of it and I hope a few upgrades might do the job. I should note I'm aiming to mill 1.5mm thick aluminium sheets - most of the time, I'm just looking at round holes and slots and some engraving. Ideally, I'd like to go up to 3mm if possible.

Now, having used the machine a bit, I've concluded its biggest problems are related to the spindle (which lacks power and quickly loses speed) and the huge play it has on the Z axis (in part due to the shabby spindle holder and the flex in the X axis).

I'd like to replace the whole X/Z carriage and I was looking at these: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Ball-Screw-...?&shqty=1#shId. They have both a 400mm X axis and a 60mm Z axis version that fit well together, even if I don't know exactly how I could fit the X axis to my machine - I'm thinking a pair of steel brackets should to the trick, assuming they can be attached on the back.

Having that installed, I could get a bigger spindle, although I don't now how big should that be. I'm open to suggestions here.

Also, I'd appreciate a thought on this endeavour. Is it worthwhile? Are there better alternatives keeping in mind these size/weight constraints?

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: CNC3018 possible upgrades

No one? nothing?

Downloads
    Uploads

Cnc3018 does not appear to be for aluminum.

Sell what you have and upgrade to a heavy machine, my advice.

Downloads
    Uploads

That would be the reasonable way to go about things, but since I'm constrained by the lack of a proper workshop, I need to haul around my machine to the kitchen - sad, I know. This is why the 3018 works well as it's small and easy to move around. If I could get it to be just good enough for small aluminium jobs, I would rather keep it until I can find space for a more serious machine.

If not, I was looking at a 3040 frame, to which I can use the controller and steppers from my 3018 (at least in the beginning) and a bigger 1.5kW spindle.

Downloads
    Uploads

Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks for the pointer. Anything specific I should look at?

Downloads
    Uploads

Benchtop metal cutting mill, like a Taig mill 105lbs for CNC version.

Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks. Looked into the Taig and while it seems like a very strong unit, the 105lbs (roughly 50kg for us europeans) is a dealbreaker - need two people to haul it around so it really doesn't seem like something you want to move