<=16 RA finish -- mill or lathe? - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: <=16 RA finish -- mill or lathe?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Here's how I would do it

I'm new to machining as well.

After thinking about it, here's how I would approach it with my manual lathe.

If I had a bunch to make, I would set up for each operation and run all the parts through that step, then set up for the next operation.

It seems to me that the only spot that has any surface finish requirements is the bottom of the grooved area where the o-ring seats.

Lots of folks have more experience than I, and I may have overlooked something fundamental, so take it with a grain of salt.

EDIT

I realized I had not accounted for tapping the port threads.

If it's a straight thread, I would tap it after drilling/boring to the tap diameter in step 1.

If it's tapered, It's a toss up whether I would flip the part after step 1 and tap, or do all the tapping at the end as the last operation..

Last edited by kd5ahl; 04-15-2011 at 03:16 PM. Reason: Spelling!

Downloads
    Uploads

kd5ahl

Yes you have it right, But cnczoner has a cnc mill so he could do all the straight machining on the mill in one set up & do the taper & the oring groove on the lathe

Mactec54

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12