Help with Mach3 USB and VFD

Thread: Help with Mach3 USB and VFD

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Help with Mach3 USB and VFD

I am rebuilding an older style 6040 desktop engraver which was a parallel port interface.
    Have gone for TB6600 drivers on 3 axis with the Mach3 USB BOB, and have them all working well.
    At this stage I am using a water cooled spindle with a Honguang VFD independently of the break out board. No connection to the BOB.
    The spindle operates fine, and the Mach3 interface operates fine until the spindle is started (not just switched on, but spindle rotation invoked) and than I get a fault in Windows saying the usb device has a fault and the BOB stops working.
    I am assuming a wiring issue?
    Any help would be appreciated.

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Help with Mach3 USB and VFD

If the spindle in any way is not connected to BOB then the problem could be in power supply harmonics ( try to add filters) or interference in wiring ( try to use shielding and grounding) . Check the voltage drop in power supply when you start spindle.
    I used USB BOB and control water cooled spindle with VFD and it worked fine.

Downloads
    Uploads

The issue is from EMI (electro magnetic interference) caused by the VFD interfering with the USB interface.

The cable between the VFD and the motor should be screened VFD cable. Also check that the VFD and motor are properly grounded.

https://www.homanndesigns.com/index....roducts_id=249

You can try moving the VFD further away from the breakout board. Put the VFD into a separate enclosure may also help.

Unfortunately the USB interface is not very robust against EMI. it’s why most quality motion controllers use Ethernet to connect to the computer.

Cheers
    Peter

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

-------------------------------------------------
    Homann Designs - http://www.homanndesigns.com

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by phomann View Post
    The issue is from EMI (electro magnetic interference) caused by the VFD interfering with the USB interface.

The cable between the VFD and the motor should be screened VFD cable. Also check that the VFD and motor are properly grounded.

https://www.homanndesigns.com/index....roducts_id=249

You can try moving the VFD further away from the breakout board. Put the VFD into a separate enclosure may also help.

Unfortunately the USB interface is not very robust against EMI. it’s why most quality motion controllers use Ethernet to connect to the computer.

Cheers
    Peter

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

This is caused by EMI interference. You need a braided shielded cable from the VFD to the spindle. Also check and see if the spindle is grounded. How many pins are on spindle connector 3 or 4? If three you need to connect a ground to the spindle mount. If four Measure each pin to the spindle body many Chinese spindle fail to add the ground on pin 4