Alternatives to Mach

Thread: Alternatives to Mach

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Alternatives to Mach

I have had some intermittent problems with Mach 3 on my Bridgeport conversion and my router and from some other recent threads it seems I am not the only one. Now that I am starting to need to make more complex parts with expensive cutters it gets to be a big deal when Mach just decides to run off in the wrong direction and ruin a part I have been working on for an hour, trashes a piece of stock, and breaks a $70 carbide cutter.

I would like to get some opinions on better control software I can use. I am looking for something that will eventually let me go to 5 axis. I would prefer something that will work with my Ethernet Smoothstepper board, but I would consider replacing the hardware if a compelling case could be made, something that works with the UC100 I have on the router would be good, but that is used for more simple things these days and could stay with Mach. Software that I can use on the mill, router, eventual lathe and future other machines without having to buy multiple licenses would be a big help. something that works with my XHS wireless MPG would be a plus, but I could buy a new MPG if I had to.

I was hoping that Mach 4 would be ready for prime time by now, but seems that it may take a little while.

So what do you all recommend?

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Alternatives to Mach

The smoothstepper will only work with mach3 or mach4, so that will need to go.
    The UC100 will work with UCCNC. While it looks promising, it still needs a bit more development, imo.

Other options would be:

Edingcnc
    Planetcnc
    Linuxcnc
    Flashcut

All would require new hardware.

Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html[/URL]

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html[/URL]

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    [URL]http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html[/URL]

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Downloads
    Uploads

brian

I think If you using a controlcard in your computer, then mach3 also works well.

I using ncstudio, I know many folks don't like it, but it works..

I have a pci card in the computer, and no anomalies..
    the independent processor what makes difference..

that's why if you can buy any hardware between mach and your machine, then mach also will work without sudden surprises..

anything you choose, if it serious it will start with 1000 dollar.. there are controls, like heidenhahn you get a complete control, they will be more likely 3000 ...

================================================== ===================

the main issue is, all control you thinking working with windows.. or under windows.. you can step out from circle using designated controls.. but they all very costly, not to mention many of them available only with the manufacturers machine..

Last edited by victorofga; 06-07-2015 at 03:52 PM.

Downloads
    Uploads

There are NO hardware solutions that will correct Mach3's quirks they are internal to Mach3. I just found a LONG standing bug in #var handling yesterday and it took ALL DAY to figure a workaround and it certainly is not an easy workaround either. A kludge at best. That let to finding another bug as well in macro handling and a similar solution.

Gerry gave you the short list for DIY controllers. Most of them work just fine and have for years now. I would add the Tormach Path Pilot to that list but I have not been able to convince Greg to release it to the DIY world YET(;-). Maybe an email campain asking him PLEASE. It does work very well and uses MESA hardware (nice, and reasonably priced).

(;-) TP

Downloads
    Uploads

The 5i25 is a PCI solution that acts like 2 printer ports on steroids.. (Plus has daughter boards for tons of expandability) and it is only $89. Only works with linuxcnc. Something closer to ESS is the mesa 7i92. (Again with a ton more expandability)

7I92 Anything I/O Ethernet card

You do need to use the next release version of linuxcnc for Ethernet support. (2.7+)

Sam

Downloads
    Uploads

Brian,

If you are a computer guru then go with Linuxcnc, people say it is good software and stabile. I myself could not get through the complicated setup procedure, hal file script and nerdy thingys in linux. but maybe I'm just too old and lame for these things.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

myCNC -
    software is free, require new hardware (Ethernet controller), will work with XHC

Downloads
    Uploads

vmax

I don't know mach3 in depth like you saying..
    I used without any hardware.. basically it worked good for me..

I used before turbocnc, and after turbocnc I did feel im in the paradise..

all anomalies I was feeling just by windows.. I never was thinking program itself could have issues.. so I was thinking hardware between mach 3 and the actual machine might eliminate all issue..