Request Sanity Check of my Microwave Oven Power Supply

Thread: Request Sanity Check of my Microwave Oven Power Supply

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Request Sanity Check of my Microwave Oven Power Supply

I am making a 42V DC Unregulated Power Supply from a discarded Microwave Oven. I will use it on the CNC plasma cutter I am building.

I am requesting a sanity check to see if my design is correct and welcome any helpful advice.

I am planning on having 42VDC Output and at least 7Amps. I would love to run more volts through the drivers since motors can handle 59, but the drivers are rated at 4A 42V.

I have made the following supply list to purchase beside the microwave transformer and wire I have on hand.

1. 1000V 50 Amp Bridge Rectifier (Cheapest one I could find - under $1)
    2. 10,000mF Electrolytic Capacitor, 63V
    3. 22K 1/4W Resistor

To determine the max voltage of my steppers I used this formula: 32* L = VMAX

My Steppers are 3A, 3.5mH inductance, 3V

So my VMAX came to 59 Volts.

My stepper drivers are rated to 4A and 42V, so I am limited to a max voltage of 42 unless I hear differently.

The drivers are the upgraded TB6600. They have very good ratings, unlike the actual TB6600. Oddly, they do not have the TB6600 chip.They come with a TB67S109AFTG chip.

Driver: CNC machine stepper motor driver TB6600 32 segments 4A 9-42VDC | eBay

To figure amperage requirement I used the following formula:
    (A*#motors)*.68
    3A each x 3 motors = 9*.68 = 6.1Amps required to run 3 motors.

To calculate the capacitor needed, I used:
    (80,000*I)/V=C
    V needs to be at least 20% higher than my 42V output so I went with 42*1.4=59 for V

(80,000*6.1)/59= 8271

So I think I need a 8271mF electrolytic capacitor that is rated for at least 59V

On ebay I found 63V 10000mF caps for a couple of dollars.

Bridge Rectifier: I found a 1000V 50A model: KBPC 5010 for super cheap (under a dollar on ebay).

My drivers are rated at 4Amps and if it will give me more capability I would like to use it. Will it cause problems for the steppers since they are rated at 3A?

I would also like to go with 50V if the drivers can be run past their rating??? Can I add a PC fan or another free fix to accomplish this? If not I will stick with the 42V.

I am using a belt drive for X and Y. Each rotation will move 3" since I am using a 15T .2" pitch.

I included pictures of a diode?? bottom pic that came off the microwave capacitor. Would this work as a bleeder instead of the resistor? If not, I found the 22K 1/4 watt was what a guy used on his power supply. However, I would like to cut a resistor out of a circuit board I have lying around. What is the parameters for selecting the bleeder, if the diode in the pic is no good. I included multiple angles on it, so the numbers could be clearly seen.

If I need any corrections, or you have some helpful advice, an explanation would be excellentso I can understand how you got there.

CAUTION for those not versed in electronics: Messing with a microwave power supply is potentially REAL dangerous. An electrical engineer professor got killed repairing one. No room for error. Those capacitors can hold a lethal charge for a long time. No need to be afraid, but definitely needful to know and do safe procedures.

Well, thank you gents.