My CNC 5'x8'

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My CNC 5'x8'

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default My CNC 5'x8'

I build a Joes 4x4 hybrid, beefed up to a 5'x8' cutting bed. You will notice the huge X beam, which I'm sure wont bend. lol

I just thought some of you may be interested in seeing some videos of it. So here is a link to my youtube channel. Check them out.

mrfrabcabert's Channel - YouTube

Enjoy. Let me know what you think. Thanks to joe for the awesome plans!
    Future upgrades include all aluminum carriages and a better Z slide + steel base.

Last edited by frabcabert; 08-25-2011 at 09:19 AM.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

i think you have a nice boat :-)
    the link is wrong but i checked also the other videos and saw you cnc in action.

what i would really like to see is a tour of your gantry with some explaining haw you made it and some details.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks, the video was just linked to my youtube channel, thats why it showed the boat first... I have plans to make detailed videos about my machine in the next little while.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

More video added.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Short description and what I did/how i made my X-axis. Subscribe to my videos!
    (if you watch it with cc on, I talk about ex-lovers, and more... lol)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PoRKGFPmRn0&feature=channel_video_title]Homemade CNC X axis explained - YouTube

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Controller

FYI I am currently working on a video of my controller. Hopefully I can post a link to it today.
    Also I have a video coming of me flipping through my Mach3 settings, so you guys can pause at which ever screen you need and compare. (maybe you will even find a mistake in my settings lol)

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Here is a video of my controller. Enjoy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RNqYdawHScI]EXTREME CNC controller - YouTube

Downloads
    Uploads

Very nice!

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Also in case anyone wants to see my Mach3 settings. Here is a video of that. It's a little hard to make out the numbers, but if you watch it in HD it's somewhat legible. I didn't not have a software to record my desktop in my shop, so i did it the old fashion way.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NfAVq9lIYIw]Mach3 CNC settings - YouTube

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I know I'm not the best narrator... But is there anything else someone may like to see? I am willing to make howto videos.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Here is a short video of my machine in "miniature effect" . Watch till the end, shows how not to program/cut small pieces. lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F-8weEkPLq8]Micro CNC - YouTube

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

interesting solution about the gantry beams and very nice videos. i dont know much about this plans, but if you are willing to make another video can you show us the rails and the bearing assembly, is it exact enough this way? what i wondered always is if the bearings eat very fast the iron rails? will it last long enough like this?

ps. your dust foot doesn't seem very effective, it needs some brushes or sth like rubber to close near the surface

Downloads
    Uploads

He is not using the dust collector hose, so I assume the brush is removed for viewing the cutter in operation. The brush is probably held in place with magnets.

CarveOne

CarveOne
    http://www.carveonecncwoodcraft.com

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Sorry for the late reply. I dont want to give away to much detail on the build as in how the bearings are mounted, etc.. etc... Just because I dont want to give to much info away. If you buy the plans, join the forum at joe'scnc and there I would post a video of this. As for accuracy, I can make a video showing that, dont have time tomorrow, maybe friday.

As for dust shoe, I do have one, just not connected in the video. You are right, the way the video shows, without anything its not very affective lol. I will try to incorporate that setup into the next video. Meanwhile, watch my machine carve this Extra 300 RC plane

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yuHW9q7UW8Y]CNC cutting airplane - YouTube

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Where did you get the plans for the 300????
    and is the pink for Lowes

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Trell View Post
    Where did you get the plans for the 300????
    and is the pink for Lowes
    Hi, got the plans from Grabcad Extra 300 - SolidWorks 2010 - 3D CAD model - GrabCAD

LOTS of free 3d files. The pink foam is just your regular exterior grade styrofoam insulation. 2" thick. I bought this at menards, You can get it in blue, maybe even more colors at other locations. Just watch for foam that isnt pre "cut" to break into smaller strips. Or if you do get that, program your parts between the cuts. (hope you know what i mean) lol

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I contacted the guy on grabcad that had originally drawn the 3d model of the Extra 300. He will be modifying it for me to be more RC friendly, meaning that the wings will be easier to replace, etc. Once I have that all fine tuned and done, I will be sharing it.

That was just as an FYI to anyone who is interested.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by silyavski View Post
    interesting solution about the gantry beams and very nice videos. i dont know much about this plans, but if you are willing to make another video can you show us the rails and the bearing assembly, is it exact enough this way? what i wondered always is if the bearings eat very fast the iron rails? will it last long enough like this?

ps. your dust foot doesn't seem very effective, it needs some brushes or sth like rubber to close near the surface
    Here is a short video of my Angle Iron. Please note the amount of ware it has after almost a year of use (not heavy use) The iron wares to a point where it fits the bearings nice, then the wear slows down. I am able to adjust all of the lower bearings to tighten them.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AvSDdpxYVf8]Homemade CNC rails - YouTube

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

This video shows how to wire multiple E-stop switches to your breakout board. Very straight forward, but sometimes simple things become confusing...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a-dJwwg4gnc]How to install multiple Estop switches - YouTube

Downloads
    Uploads

Nice job Frabcabert, looks like 1 well built machine. It's video's and info like yours that makes this such a great forum.

Dan

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast