Drawer Slide CNC - Page 2

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Drawer Slide CNC

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by ma1 View Post
    Good job, the setup looks clean. Is that a linear rail in the z-axis?

I am also building a drawer-slide low cost CNC, I had started a thread a while back, you might be able to find it. My design has only x-axis with drawer slides (slides in a vertical position). It is going very slow due to lack of time.

However, one thing that I have noticed is that the 100 lbs load bearing drawer slides are great for in-plane, but have a lot of play in the out-of-plane direction (+z direction the way you mounted them). I am afraid that if your dremel catches even slightly on the work piece, it will lift your entire x-y table up with it. This is the reason I mounted mine in a vertical direction with mechanical constraints in the out-of-plane direction.
    Yes, That is a linear rail for the z- axis. It's very tiny but surprisingly stout.
    As far as the drawer slides, I don't really have play in any direction ? If the tool "caught" which I don't really know why it would, my luan plywood base would probably crack first. or the tool would rip off...lol

Downloads
    Uploads

This is my favorite type of build. Looks good. Thanks for sharing.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by jkarisny View Post
    Yes, That is a linear rail for the z- axis. It's very tiny but surprisingly stout.
    As far as the drawer slides, I don't really have play in any direction ? If the tool "caught" which I don't really know why it would, my luan plywood base would probably crack first. or the tool would rip off...lol
    Probably the weight of your x-y table is hiding this out-of-plane play. Try to lift the x or y table in the +z direction with your hand. With a little force, you will feel it moving. Now imagine a high-torque rotating motor applying even a stronger force.
    The only constraint you have is the small nut attached to the thin leadscrew, which may not be enough if the dremel has enough torque.

Here is my thread if you want to read about my experiences:

http://www.cnczone.com/forums/diy-cn...sktop_cnc.html

Good luck

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Wow.. Great idea for a CNC machine...

[URL="http://www.cnczone.com/forums/cnc_wood_router_project_log/124543-mountaincrafts_router_plasma_build_thread.html"][U]4' x 8' CNC Wood Router Project[/U][/URL]
    [U][URL="http://www.cnczone.com/forums/woodworking/135576-home_made_drum_sander.html"]Home Made Drum Sander Project[/URL][/U]

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Very nice! If you do any PCB fabrication I'd like to see the results. A small and low cost machine like this could be great for that. Thanks for sharing it!

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

A small laminate trimmer router might be the hot ticket for this machine...

[URL="http://www.cnczone.com/forums/cnc_wood_router_project_log/124543-mountaincrafts_router_plasma_build_thread.html"][U]4' x 8' CNC Wood Router Project[/U][/URL]
    [U][URL="http://www.cnczone.com/forums/woodworking/135576-home_made_drum_sander.html"]Home Made Drum Sander Project[/URL][/U]

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

How do you guys wire up everything? I want sockets on the cpu case that I can plug the steppers into, so I don't have to drill holes and use grommets. As you see from the pictures below, I need to clean up the wiring.
    I think most people have an external box for the stepper driver and breakout board and then the parallel cable connects it to the computer. Since you have the stepper driver in the computer itself you could use something like this.

Two Serial (DB9, RS232, COM1) Ports Bracket with Cable | eBay

Then get some DB9 connectors (even from the local Radio Shack) and put those on your stepper motors. A few other stepper drivers like the Geckodrive G540 use the DB9 connector as well so if you wired things up the same way you could transition to a G540 down the road if you wanted.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Yikes, over 4 pounds!?

I don't think my tiny little steppers could handle that amount of weight.
    Yeah sorry about that! I had seen the ads for that die grinder at $29.95 and recommended it to someone else last week (as it's cheap as a Dremel but more rigid), but I didn't realise it was quite that big!

Hey it looks little in the picture!

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Mountaincraft View Post
    A small laminate trimmer router might be the hot ticket for this machine...
    That's what I had my eye on. I don't really have any experience with them though. I'd hate to buy one (that's as much as I have in the whole machine) and not gain anything.

Anybody using one of those?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I've not used one for CNC, but I have a small makita laminate trimmer, and the thing is great when used for what it is designed for... (I use it to flush trim formica after gluing)... I would think it would be superior to a dremel though... much more robust tool overall...

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I've not used one for CNC, but I have a small makita laminate trimmer, and the thing is great when used for what it is designed for... (I use it to flush trim formica after gluing)... I would think it would be superior to a dremel though... much more robust tool overall...
    Well then, Mountaincraft, there you have it, I'm going to purchase one...if it's not all you say it is, I blame you! Deal? Lol, just kidding, but I'll probably go browsing for one this weekend.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Be sure and read the warning labels and disclaimers tattooed on my posterior.. My unpaid lawyers certainly have all the bases covered...
    If you plug the thing in and take it in the bathtub, it's clearly stated not to do that...

Translation: "I am not responsible for 'anything!' "

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Be sure and read the warning labels and disclaimers tattooed on my posterior.. My unpaid lawyers certainly have all the bases covered...
    If you plug the thing in and take it in the bathtub, it's clearly stated not to do that...

Translation: "I am not responsible for 'anything!' "
    Well, I gotta blame someone, and it's not going to be me! I'll just bring my wife shopping with me, if it doesn't work, I'll blame her for rushing me at the store....lol

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Well then, Mountaincraft, there you have it, I'm going to purchase one...if it's not all you say it is, I blame you! Deal? Lol, just kidding, but I'll probably go browsing for one this weekend.
    amazon.com has a pretty good price ($70) on the "porter cable 7310", which is a cnc favorite and should do most jobs for you. Lowes also has decent prices on other brands.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by schmutzig View Post
    Very nice! If you do any PCB fabrication I'd like to see the results. A small and low cost machine like this could be great for that. Thanks for sharing it!

I'm not really into electronics as far as PCB's go, but I'd load the g-code and run it if anyone has one.... What kind of bit would be needed?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Small engraving pointed bits. Normally they are a 1/8" shank. There is a PCB section of this forum (it's in the "electronics" section) where they discuss PCB milling and the best bits and software etc;
    PCB milling - CNCzone.com-The Largest Machinist Community on the net!

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default DC Spindle motor

Hi, Zen Toolworks has a nice DC motor with a ER11 on it. Look like a good motor for this project.
    Thanks for the pictures and keep up the good work.

Bob A
    CNC Projects

Downloads
    Uploads

Let me tell you this is one of the most inspiring builds I have seen on here.

As for myself after countless hours reading thousands of post and builds.
    I have finally started my builds (lathe and mill) constantly wondering if it will do the job.
    Everyone talks about tool, machine deflections ,runout and heat.
    "will you be able to maintain + - .000001 accuracy with that setup?"
    Heck sometimes I wonder if the moon will effect my shop floor....

...and here you are couple hundred dollars down the road and making chips 2 weeks later! Not to mention all the real world experience you are gaining while some of us are still punching formulas in scientific calculators.

Great JOB! Hail to the Home Depot Builder!

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by FannBlade View Post
    Let me tell you this is one of the most inspiring builds I have seen on here.

As for myself after countless hours reading thousands of post and builds.
    I have finally started my builds (lathe and mill) constantly wondering if it will do the job.
    Everyone talks about tool, machine deflections ,runout and heat.
    "will you be able to maintain + - .000001 accuracy with that setup?"
    Heck sometimes I wonder if the moon will effect my shop floor....

...and here you are couple hundred dollars down the road and making chips 2 weeks later! Not to mention all the real world experience you are gaining while some of us are still punching formulas in scientific calculators.

Great JOB! Hail to the Home Depot Builder!

Wow, thank you so much for your very kind words! I'm glad I was able to inspire at least on person on the site!
    That was my goal, do a little research, learn the basics, and build a machine that can do what I need it to. (for now) And it does just that! I cut my first acrylic tonight! I'll post pics tomorrow, it's getting late and the wife asked me to put our little girl to bed!

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Here are some pics of last nights adventure in acrylic cutting. The part is cut from 3/8" sheet. The bit I used was actually a micro drill, .044"
    I broke my first bit on insertion, I forgot to turn my feed rate down. But I think it turned out rather nice!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast