Need Help! parts for xzero

Thread: parts for xzero

Downloads
    Uploads

Default parts for xzero

anyone know if there is a stateside supplier for tbi motion linear rail bearings,,their website sucks,
    x axis

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: parts for xzero

Quote Originally Posted by bankshot View Post
    anyone know if there is a stateside supplier for tbi motion linear rail bearings,,their website sucks,
    x axis
    They don't have to be TBI if you want to replace the complete Rail and Bearing, try Aliexpress if you just need the Bearings

Mactec54

Downloads
    Uploads

tried a local bearing supply for a cross but no luck,,ill try aliexpress

Quote Originally Posted by mactec54 View Post
    They don't have to be TBI if you want to replace the complete Rail and Bearing, try Aliexpress if you just need the Bearings
    thanks mactec

Downloads
    Uploads

thanks mactec
    What has happened to your Bearings you can rebuild them, take them apart clean them ad new balls Etc.

Mactec54

Downloads
    Uploads

Search PMI on ebay or aliexpress. They are higher quality then the tbi, and cost roughly the same (cheap). Make sure you choose the right model, you want 4 way heavy duty bearings.

Alternatively, "diyglobal" on ebay has massive amounts of new and clean used surplus, with free 2 day shipping from korea. just measure your rails (15mm = size 15, 20mm = size 20, or 23mm = size 25), measure the width and height of the block, and measure the distance between the bolt holes. The predator and the raptor use "long" blocks on the Y and X, and the mini raptor uses "short" blocks on y and z. THK may have different bolt spacings, so that's something to watch for. Look for sets that are preloaded, although it doesn't always say.

Last, there is misumi, they sell sbc (and thk). SBC is what George offered as upgrades over tbi. Not cheap, but, better in every way and misumi always has them ready to ship.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by ihavenofish View Post
    Search PMI on ebay or aliexpress. They are higher quality then the tbi, and cost roughly the same (cheap). Make sure you choose the right model, you want 4 way heavy duty bearings.

Alternatively, "diyglobal" on ebay has massive amounts of new and clean used surplus, with free 2 day shipping from korea. just measure your rails (15mm = size 15, 20mm = size 20, or 23mm = size 25), measure the width and height of the block, and measure the distance between the bolt holes. The predator and the raptor use "long" blocks on the Y and X, and the mini raptor uses "short" blocks on y and z. THK may have different bolt spacings, so that's something to watch for. Look for sets that are preloaded, although it doesn't always say.

Last, there is misumi, they sell sbc (and thk). SBC is what George offered as upgrades over tbi. Not cheap, but, better in every way and misumi always has them ready to ship.
    would you happen to know what size rails were 'standard' for the 48x36" Raptor? I have a kit that he shipped me but never sent the linear motion bits, but I don't have the email correspondence etc. any more. I'm looking to just order some rails and start building it up after all, but not sure where to start

Downloads
    Uploads

Raptor has size 20 rails. "standard length narrow low blocks" for the X (lower axis) and "long length narrow low height" blocks on the Y and Z.

Most makers have blocks that fit this category although THK has different mounting on some models, so make not of that. Id go SBC if you want high quality, or PMI if you want "cheap but works".

Do you have rails at all to measure? Or do you just have a frame. Feel free to post any rails you find and I can confirm if they fit.

Last edited by ihavenofish; 05-26-2020 at 12:07 PM.

Downloads
    Uploads

Gah, missed it in your post. So, no rails at all.

So, x, lower axis:
    30mm height, 44mm width of block. 32x36mm M5 bolt pattern. 2 rails, 4 blocks. (sbc SBI 20 SL for example)

Other axes
    30mm height, 44mm width of block. 32x50mm M5 bolt pattern. 2 rails each axis, 2 blocks each axis. (sbc SBI 20 SLL for example)

Downloads
    Uploads

EEP! Apparently there were versions that used 28mm height rails. Can you post a picture of your frame / parts? I'm guessing its one of the newest ones?

Downloads
    Uploads

EEP! Apparently there were versions that used 28mm height rails. Can you post a picture of your frame / parts? I'm guessing its one of the newest ones?
    Thanks for the replies! I'm at work right now, I'll take a few pictures when I get home. It's a circa 2012 - 2013 model (life got in the way...), with regular 80x80 profile without a 'lip' on the bottom, but with notches on the base endplates that I'm guessing are a fairly 'tight' fit for the rails. Measuring the frame suggested 20mm rails everywhere, glad to know that was correct! . I'll assemble the gantry and base this weekend and measure the distance between the blocks and rail mount, and double check before I order any rail. I haven't found an EU dealer for SBC yet, but I can find HiWin pretty easily at reasonable prices, will compare the measurement specs as well.

I've also either lost (or never received, equally possible) the X axis ballscrew, which I think should have been a 20mm screw. Could/should I upgrade to a 25mm (which would mean less good retrofit)? And is the end machining on the X-axis ballscrew the same as on the Y and Z in terms of shape? Were the originals 5mm pitch, or 10mm pitch? I'm considering an EdingCNC controller with JMP servos or closed loop steppers to keep the price reasonable; this is a hobby for me (I make guitars and occasionally furniture) so I know I have a machine

Downloads
    Uploads

Don't have pictures, but I've dry assembled the base and the gantry for now - all measurements are consistent with the HiWin HGR20 rails and HGH-CA / HGH-HA carriages, total space between base sides and gantry sides is 30mm per side (25mm + 5mm recess in each upright), so I'll probably be going ahead and ordering those once I get a few quotes from some suppliers. Thanks for the help!

Still unclear on what size the X axis ballscrew was designed to be/how the ends were machined, but I think my best bet is 'dry' assembling all the other bits and taking some accurate measurements. I do have the bearings for the X-axis, which are rather huge compared to the 15mm Y and Z ball screws - 15mm inner bore and ~42mm outer diameter. The bracket for the X-axis ballnut has a 40mm inner diameter, so seems to me like the original design is for a 25mm ballscrew+ballnut for the X-axis. I'm leaning strongly towards JMC integrated servo motors right now (step-direction control, pretty affordable, closed loop, local support and pretty popular on a Dutch CNC forum as well) - I'm guessing 2510 would be a good choice, 2505 perhaps too low a pitch / higher risk of 'whipping' on the single central ballscrew over a 1200mm length, and 2525 excessive for a 1200mm long router bed? Very new at this, so I'm really not sure. From what I can gather 2510 was common on these machines...

Downloads
    Uploads

X uses a 20mm screw usually... but I supposed it could be 25mm. Make sure the mount lines up with the bearing blocks. The end machining had several variations over the years, with the last one having a thread on nut to hold on the bearing. Other versions has the coupling thread on, or the coupling just press tight against the bearing.

Personally, id just get the ball screw with standard end machining, and some spacers. So, for the x, get it machined for BK15. Then get some spacers to fit the bearing you have, and the right coupling bore for bk15 (12mm I think). Put all the spacers on the ball nut side of the bearing, so it doesn't protrude too much more on the motor mount side of the frame.

if you're using the JMC (I have those for my mini but not run them yet) 2010 should be ok. Inertia will be an issue with that screw, and a higher pitch (counterintuitively maybe) will actually help with that because it accelerates slower, but 2525 would cause you issues on the other side - not enough linear force with a 180w motor. Note you have no brake for the Z. it WILL fall down when the power is off, so add some sort of rubber bumper on the bottom of the Z. Also note the shafts on the JMC stock models are very long, and youll need to cut them off or make motor spacers. The do make a short shaft model, but you have to custom request it.

Downloads
    Uploads

X uses a 20mm screw usually... but I supposed it could be 25mm. Make sure the mount lines up with the bearing blocks. The end machining had several variations over the years, with the last one having a thread on nut to hold on the bearing. Other versions has the coupling thread on, or the coupling just press tight against the bearing.

Personally, id just get the ball screw with standard end machining, and some spacers. So, for the x, get it machined for BK15. Then get some spacers to fit the bearing you have, and the right coupling bore for bk15 (12mm I think). Put all the spacers on the ball nut side of the bearing, so it doesn't protrude too much more on the motor mount side of the frame.

if you're using the JMC (I have those for my mini but not run them yet) 2010 should be ok. Inertia will be an issue with that screw, and a higher pitch (counterintuitively maybe) will actually help with that because it accelerates slower, but 2525 would cause you issues on the other side - not enough linear force with a 180w motor. Note you have no brake for the Z. it WILL fall down when the power is off, so add some sort of rubber bumper on the bottom of the Z. Also note the shafts on the JMC stock models are very long, and youll need to cut them off or make motor spacers. The do make a short shaft model, but you have to custom request it.
    Thanks again! This is all very new to me, so I'm taking it one step at a time. I think it will all be a lot easier to visualise, measure and understand once I've got the linear rails and the other two ballscrews installed. So I'm ordering those up first.

I hadn't even considered the dropping Z axis. More reading and thinking to do...