FINALLY starting XZero Viper build- MISSING PARTS!?? - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: FINALLY starting XZero Viper build- MISSING PARTS!??

Quote Originally Posted by ihavenofish View Post
    this seems like a poor choice, too much room to mess up. even being out .0002" across the face will project that error.

im not really sure how this mess of parts is possible. weird. can you confirm the gantry ball screw is not also too short and the back plat on the gantry lines up? i imagine it does, but we cant see it

easiest solution is to pocket the end frames wider on one side. leave the other alone. but youll need a mill and larg-ish vise for this.

proper solution is to cut the gantry rails shorter. but youll have to re thread the ends, the cut the back plate, and possibly shorten the ball screw. so may not be doable.
    Then gantry ball screw doesn’t seem too short. This is my first CNC bios obviously so I may be wrong. Take a look at the pics and let me know what you think.

As far as the back plate.... there isn’t one. That was actually what started this thread. It seems that George left that part as well as a couple of others out.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails FINALLY starting XZero Viper build- MISSING PARTS!??-567a29f6-2326-41c0-b683-f97d76e1414d-jpg   FINALLY starting XZero Viper build- MISSING PARTS!??-1-jpg   FINALLY starting XZero Viper build- MISSING PARTS!??-2-jpg  
    Tim Schoenhals
    www.timschoenhals.com

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: FINALLY starting XZero Viper build- MISSING PARTS!??

yeah that looks fine.

hmmmmm.

i dont have a good solution here thats easy for you to do on your own without causing even more trouble.. i wonder what it would cost steve to machine new end frames made to the right width. hmmmm...

I sent Steve and email. I'll post back when I hear from him.

Thanks so much for all the help! Pretty bummed that George sent this machine out this way. It's costing me way more time and money than it should but hey..... isn't your first machine supposed to be hard?

Tim Schoenhals
    www.timschoenhals.com

Downloads
    Uploads

Ha, well, usually not this hard :P

Im waiting for when cnc's get to the "take out of box, plug in, hit make part button and 15 seconds later.. part!"

i think ill be waiting a while. ;x

I feel like the Shaper Origin is heading that direction

I bought one but haven't had time to mess around with it yet.

Tim Schoenhals
    www.timschoenhals.com

Downloads
    Uploads

It looks like you have a mismatched gantry and base. I will have to go into the wayback machine and see what I can figure out. To everyone that has PMed me lately, I'm sorry if I'm a bit late to respond. I have a small machine shop that is currently slammed. I will do my best to get back to you and help out where I can.

Steve

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Schoenhals View Post
    Then gantry ball screw doesn’t seem too short. This is my first CNC bios obviously so I may be wrong. Take a look at the pics and let me know what you think.

As far as the back plate.... there isn’t one. That was actually what started this thread. It seems that George left that part as well as a couple of others out.
    Roughly how much would it take to get the bottom rail to fit???

How far do the to top 2 Gantry rails, pocket into the arms, if they are like 1/2" deep, you could make 4 round spacers to space it out by the right amount, ( a little for each side ) you would then need a spacer for one side of the Ballscrew mount and a spacer for one side for the bottom extrusion mount , then make the new Back plate to suit for the wider Gantry frame, this is your cheapest fix, as you have to get the back plate anyway

If you need help I could make these spacers for you, the back plate is easy you can do that with a drill press

Mactec54

Hey mactec54!

I really appreciate your help on this. After some measurements, this seems like the spacer idea may not work.
    The bottom rail is about 8mm out of the hole. The holes that the gantry rails pocket into are only 3.8mm deep and the recess for the bottom extrusion mount is only about 2.7mm deep.

Based on that, would you think that remaking the end pieces for the base is the only option?

Thanks again.

Last edited by Tim Schoenhals; 11-16-2018 at 12:13 AM.
    Tim Schoenhals
    www.timschoenhals.com

I guess I could also get the bearing blocks machined down 4mm each to make the rails line up. They may have just enough meat that it could work.

FINALLY starting XZero Viper build- MISSING PARTS!??-unnamed-jpg

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails FINALLY starting XZero Viper build- MISSING PARTS!??-unnamed-jpg  
    Tim Schoenhals
    www.timschoenhals.com

Reading back through the thread it looks like Qicker306 actually suggested that but ihavenofish didn't love the idea and said there was too much room for error.

ihavenofish mentioned having a machine shop mill the pocket that the bearing blocks go in deeper.... but, after some measuring, doing that would leave basically no material in the screw holes for the bolts that hold the bearing blocks.

Hopefully I'm missing seeing the easy option that will solve it all.... hehe.

Tim Schoenhals
    www.timschoenhals.com

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Schoenhals View Post
    Reading back through the thread it looks like Qicker306 actually suggested that but ihavenofish didn't love the idea and said there was too much room for error.

ihavenofish mentioned having a machine shop mill the pocket that the bearing blocks go in deeper.... but, after some measuring, doing that would leave basically no material in the screw holes for the bolts that hold the bearing blocks.

Hopefully I'm missing seeing the easy option that will solve it all.... hehe.
    So I may not be seeing / reading this incorrect, but what you are saying is the main frame is to wide for the gantry, is the main frame altogether and complete post as many photos of what you have, I have worked on these machines before so know them although I did not do any of the round rail machines, there really is not much difference when it comes to making something to fit

Mactec54

Downloads
    Uploads

Tim Schoenhals

Reply from the other thread I've been traveling for work most of this year so I wasn't ever able to invest any time into fixing my machine

That's being busy are you on the road music wise if so what type of music do you play

Mactec54

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12