Does anyone have any information on this?

Thread: Does anyone have any information on this?

Default Does anyone have any information on this?

Hello,
    Been scouring the web trying to find some info on this stepper driver.
    Does anyone have any info on it or where I could find some?
    It's in a Multicam/ AXYZ machine.

Thank you.

Similar Threads:
      Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Does anyone have any information on this?-img_4677-jpg  

Downloads
      Uploads

Default Re: Does anyone have any information on this?

Good morning,

Yes it is possible to use these elsewhere, however they do have limited working capabilities with newer systems. Please bare this in mind.

Going by you photo:

Top terminal bank of 3 (Left to right): these are the step and dir +-
      White:
      Yellow
      Red

Dip switch - standard 1600 step configuration
      800 steps - sw1 off sw2 off
      1600 steps - sw1 on sw2 off
      3200 steps - sw1 off sw2 on

Bottom terminal bank (Left to right)
      1: Brown - goes to stepper motor
      2: White - goes to stepper motor
      3: Usually had 1.8k resistor between 3 & 4
      4: Usually had 1.8k resistor between 3 & 5
      5: Usually had 1.8k resistor between 4 & 5
      7: Negative voltage input
      8: Positive voltage input
      9: Orange - goes to stepper motor
      10: Blue - goes to stepper motor

This is all i can remember off hand.

I hope this helps. Like i said it is quite likely these will not work. Any of the componentry you do not use, please let me know if you are interested in selling them.
      Many thanks,

Ryan Kirk
      0411 136 985
      Platinum Machinery

Downloads
      Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by karuba View Post
      Hello,
      Been scouring the web trying to find some info on this stepper driver.
      Does anyone have any info on it or where I could find some?
      It's in a Multicam/ AXYZ machine.

Thank you.
      What is the detail model name of this stepper driver?

http://cncmakers.com/cnc/controllers/CNC_Controller_System/CNC_Retrofit_Package.html

Downloads
      Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by cncmakers001 View Post
      What is the detail model name of this stepper driver?
      They are not available to the public. They are custom made unfortunately.

Hi mrgame1988,
      Thanks for that. I did find this as well, which was a great help. Steppers only go in the one direction though....?
      Running Mach3, Smooth Stepper with an Ocean Controls KTA 205 for a breakout board. P1 Step, P2 Direction, P3 COM. on the driver side. Getting the standard 0-5v(depending on the direction) for the direction pins.
      Tried hi/low combinations to no avail. It has to be something simple that I'm missing...... surely.
      Any idea on the jumpers to the right of the step/dir inputs?

One thing that has me a little perplexed the original break out board (AXYZ AMC 0004G), the pinout (P41) diagram suggests Pin1 to be 12v on the BOB, then step (pin 2) and direction (Pin 3), but the stepper motor driver page says 5v+... for pin1?

I really appreciate the help.

Thank you..

A

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Does anyone have any information on this?-screen-shot-2020-07-30-5-56-a   Does anyone have any information on this?-screen-shot-2020-07-30-7-25-a  

It would still be nice to get them working though. As there is nothing wrong with them. Just my limited knowledge......

There isn't anything on them besides what you see in the picture...

Hmmm, so much to learn.
      Ok, so I probably can't use these drivers with Mach3? Whats the next step? Can anyone recommend some drivers that will work with the current PSU (43.7vdc) and the current steppers Nema 34(P+S PST 342 1B6, 3 Amp, 2.6v).

Cheers
      A

Last edited by karuba; 07-30-2020 at 10:34 PM.

Thoughts on Gecko 251x...

Downloads
      Uploads

Hmmm, so much to learn.
      Ok, so I probably can't use these drivers with Mach3? Whats the next step? Can anyone recommend some drivers that will work with the current PSU (43.7vdc) and the current steppers Nema 34(P+S PST 342 1B6, 3 Amp, 2.6v).

Cheers
      A
      I don't know all of the specifics on your hardware combinations, or on the machine you have....for the multicam AXYZ machine, what controlling software does it normally use? You said you wanted to use Mach 3, is that a change from what is normally used on the multicam AXYZ? I ask because the main break out board that you use will need to be compatible, do you need to change that as well? Not a big deal if you do. If it's already running Mach 3, then you shouldn't have to change it as far as I know.

Oh wait, I see, you have an "Ocean Controls KTA 205" BOB. Does that board allow you to home your gantry to keep it in skew (I assume that you have 2 motors on the X axis for the machine you have)? I don't know anything about this board so I can't really offer an opinion.

For your question as to what drivers would be compatible with Nema 34's @ 3 amps and 44 VDC, there are many options. 3 Amps sounds pretty low for a Nema 34, are you certain that's correct? Many Gecko, Leadshine, or now I have added Trinamic drivers to my personal list will do what you want. It's not a big deal.

Stay very far away from the TB6600 and similar drivers.

I'd be tempted to try these in your shoes:

Home

Thanks to ssashton for that link.

The Trinamic drivers may or may not be a game changer for CNC routers. It's relatively new tech.

For things that have been tested and true on CNC routers with many users, Gecko or Leadshine. The current limit is set via DIP switches, so don't think that you have to match exactly 3 Amps on your driver specs. I have used the Gecko G201X drivers and have never had anything bad to say about them.

The Gecko G540 4 axis driver is good for up to 3.5A and 50 VDC and has been tried, tested, and true over many users, but I think that they are normally used on Nema 23's due to the current limit of 3.5A, whereas many Nema 34's have a current limit above this. If you're truly limited to 3A, then it could be a good option to consider.

Gecko, Leadshine, or like I said, I'd give the Trinamic ones a try. Just my 2 cents. Let us know what you choose and how it works out.

Hi NIC 77,
      Thanks for taking the time to reply.

It would normally run AXYZ's "Tool Path". Yes, as far as I know the main BOB (AMC 0004G) that it uses won't support Mach3, correct me if I'm wrong though. It would have been rally nice if these drivers would play with Mach3. I get the feeling (a very uneducated guess) that they need a slightly different step and direction timing to what Mach3 puts out. I did hook them up as per the diagram and got a stepper motor to go in one direction, albeit with the occasional stall after changing directions. Damn it. If anyone has any ideas I'd love to hear em....

As to your question about 2 motors for the X axis. No, it only has one. As for keeping itself square, the stepper driving that axis is a dual shaft, driving a rack and pinion on both sides of the gantry. So I'm figuring that, in conjunction with the linear rails it would be physically locked square if that makes sense.

Yeah 3 amps does seem on the low side for Nema 34s... There isn't much out there about these "Precision and Speed" steppers.
      Now thinking I should go with the G201xs.

Those Trinamic drivers look cool! Unfortunately I need to get this machine back up and running ASAP. So waiting around for these to arrive isn't really an option right now.(8-28 days) I will definitely try them out later on down the track. Yeah, the G540 is an awesome little unit. I have one of them in my machine running Nema 23s. As you said, not sure it'd be up to the 34s.

Downloads
      Uploads

I assumed that your steppers are 2 phase bipolar and have 4 wires, which is common. You'll need to check that before you buy any drivers.

Yes, bipolar steppers....

Ordered the Gecko G201x's.....

Downloads
      Uploads

Hi Karuba
      I'm interested to know how you got on with your Multicam conversion. I'm about to start a conversion on a Multicam router with the same steppes and drivers so I suspect it's the same model.

Did you get it finished and operating?

Cheers

Downloads
      Uploads

Hi mrgame1988,
      Thanks for that. I did find this as well, which was a great help. Steppers only go in the one direction though....?
      Running Mach3, Smooth Stepper with an Ocean Controls KTA 205 for a breakout board. P1 Step, P2 Direction, P3 COM. on the driver side. Getting the standard 0-5v(depending on the direction) for the direction pins.
      Tried hi/low combinations to no avail. It has to be something simple that I'm missing...... surely.
      Any idea on the jumpers to the right of the step/dir inputs?

One thing that has me a little perplexed the original break out board (AXYZ AMC 0004G) stocktwits amc https://codeprozone.com/code/html/14...twits-amc.html, the pinout (P41) diagram suggests Pin1 to be 12v on the BOB, then step (pin 2) and direction (Pin 3), but the stepper motor driver page says 5v+... for pin1?

I really appreciate the help.

Thank you..

A
      This is really amazing and I appreciate this work.