Newbie needs help with AXYZ 4008

Thread: Newbie needs help with AXYZ 4008

Default Newbie needs help with AXYZ 4008

First, I am brand new to the cnc world and am not super tech savvy. I bought a used, but updated ACYZ 4008. Unfortunately it didn’t come with a computer. I’m planning on running Vectric software. What do I need to connect to the 37 pin serial cable on the machine? I’ve included some photos of my control box if that helps. If anyone can help me I’d be most appreciative. Thanks

Similar Threads:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Newbie needs help with AXYZ 4008-6bbeb4ff-ce36-432b-8dbf-52d03011d45f-jpeg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Newbie needs help with AXYZ 4008

You need the proprietary AXYZ software to link the computer to the machine.The probability is that you will also need an RS485 interface too.Did the update to the machine move you into the era of file names with more than 8 characters?You may also need the information to configure the AXYZ software i.e. steps/mm or inch and speed and acceleration settings.

Thank you. I was told when I bought it it would be compatible with most current software. I bought it on an auction from a local university, so I will try to reach out to the previous user. The place I think I need to start is with getting a computer actually hooked up to the router via the cable. Do I need to install a card in a desktop or is there an adapter? Please excuse my ignorance, but what’s a RS485?

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Newbie needs help with AXYZ 4008

The router will actually work with programs generated by most software or even from .dxf or .plt files created by CAD programs.If my memory is correct you may even be able to use HPGL too.If using any of these files without a CAM program you may have to use the proprietary AXYZ Toolpath software.Good luck with that-it is a very frustrating way to work.

Having generated a file to produce your parts,it will need to be transferred to the machine and this is where the RS485 comes into play.It is an interface to connect a port on the desktop computer to the controller and may have a baud rate you find amazingly slow,but it does work.Finding a driver to work with an RS485 might be challenging unless you get lucky with the previous owner.I seem to remember that such a driver is on the software CD that AXYZ used to provide and which has the Toolpath program too.Depending on the age of the machine you may be obliged to use an old version of Windows-perhaps even XP.

The computer you connect doesn't actually do much of the controlling.It is primarily a way to transmit files particularly so if you use Vectric.You won't be able to transmit those files without an RS485 or some other form of interface.I do hope you were given the machine manuals as there are some quirks that you will need to be aware of.Even homing the machine isn't easy without guidance and the manuals have all the commands listed.The good thing is that you only need a dozen or so once you know what they are called.The functions are embedded in the controller and accessed via the keypad.

Quote Originally Posted by routalot View Post
    The router will actually work with programs generated by most software or even from .dxf or .plt files created by CAD programs.If my memory is correct you may even be able to use HPGL too.If using any of these files without a CAM program you may have to use the proprietary AXYZ Toolpath software.Good luck with that-it is a very frustrating way to work.

Having generated a file to produce your parts,it will need to be transferred to the machine and this is where the RS485 comes into play.It is an interface to connect a port on the desktop computer to the controller and may have a baud rate you find amazingly slow,but it does work.Finding a driver to work with an RS485 might be challenging unless you get lucky with the previous owner.I seem to remember that such a driver is on the software CD that AXYZ used to provide and which has the Toolpath program too.Depending on the age of the machine you may be obliged to use an old version of Windows-perhaps even XP.

The computer you connect doesn't actually do much of the controlling.It is primarily a way to transmit files particularly so if you use Vectric.You won't be able to transmit those files without an RS485 or some other form of interface.I do hope you were given the machine manuals as there are some quirks that you will need to be aware of.Even homing the machine isn't easy without guidance and the manuals have all the commands listed.The good thing is that you only need a dozen or so once you know what they are called.The functions are embedded in the controller and accessed via the keypad.
    Thank you for your help. I got some literature with the machine and I’ll reach out to the previous owner. Thank you again! I have a lot of work to do