New Machine Build First Build

Thread: First Build

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default First Build

Hey,
    I’ve been thinking about making a CNC build for the last year and a bit. It is time to get the gears rolling. I’ve made 3 or 4 designs so far. This is my latest:
    Since I’ve been reading here I’ve already changed it a few times, and I’m sure the final design will be much different.

Okay so my design has a floating gantry and fixed table top, this is due to space limitations. As for the z-axis design. I noticed that most people had max 6inches of clearance here. I was thinking of making this machine into a 3D printer later on. Although I’m pretty sure all of those have moving tables for the accuracy. Would a moving gantry be able to support 3D printing components? In the drawing it is 2 feet. This will be reduced as I’m sure it won’t be ridged.
    I’m hoping to run the two sides of the x-axis with one motor and two lead screws, and if the y-axis makes it through the design phase then one motor with that as well. To reduce racking.

I haven’t done a whole lot of research on the electronics or other components yet, but this is what I have in mind:
    ~ Lead screws ½”-10 2 start.
    ~ Nema 23-20 oz.in stepper motors~ Not sure the source as I’ve seen cheaper ones in the past (can’t remember where)
    ~ Gecko G540 driver

Oh and the frame is 2X2X0.25 square extrusions. I am planning on making everything out of steel. I have a local Thompson dealer where I am. I was thinking of using them for my rail. My budget is pretty low $1500-$2000.. I’ll be looking into making a more detailed spread sheet in the coming days to see if this is even feasible.

Thanks Alot