XYZ in action - Page 2

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: XYZ in action

Downloads
    Uploads

Nice Dave,
    Good to see you now having some fun with all the trouble the mechanics gave you and that things are definitely improving and moving in the right direction.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Dust collection system

Surfaced the spoil board today. First time I tried the dust collection. It works sweet. No sawdust at all.
    Spoil board is now pretty flat. Ran a test indicator over it and its flat within 0.005" everywhere.

Dave

Downloads
    Uploads

.005 is great Dave, but you already know that, I'd be happy too.

Been working on getting my laser inside, cleaning out the room it will be put in, almost enough room inside now, should have plenty by tomorrow. Then it is time to cut a 62" wide x 82" hole in the front of the shop, do not need 82" high but want to replace the door anyway.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thumbs down

Dave,
    You have been doing a great job. That dust collector looks like a winner. I hope you like Kent dust shoe. It!s what I have planned all along. Sounds like like your machine Is doing what we wanted it to do. I will post in the morning on my build. Makes me want to be further but like you what a great learning experIance.

Will

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Ken
    I did a major clean over the weekend. I can walk around all my machines in the woodworking side. Its never had so much space

I am looking forward to pictures of the laser once you get it moved in.

Will,
    I was really impressed with the Kent dust shoe. It worked much better than I expected. Dust collector is fairly quiets but it still drowns out the spindle. [I]ts sort of strange cutting cutting with just the low rumble of the Dust collection. I am looking forward to seeing your progress tomorrow.

Dave

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Today I tried some 3D carving

Here are some pictures of my first 3D carving.
    I used a 3d image from Vectorart3D.
    Generated the tool path in Cut3D.
    I then created the plaque in Vcarve Pro imported the Cut3D tool path and added lettering etc.
    It took 2 1/2 hours to cut, not including the first one that was scrapped when Mach locked up and I screwed up realigning.
    First pass roughs out the piece of 5/4 Sapele.
    Finished size is 15 X 9"

Now the start of 3D finishing

3D finishing is complete. Next time I will mess with the overlap

Now it's time to remove the extra material around the carving. This took close to 90 minutes. Might use a larger bit but needed the 1/4" to get into all the spots.

All excess material cleared away

Added the lettering and profiled this project took 6 passes and 3 tools

1/4" end mill
    1/8" ball end
    1/2 60 degree v carve

Ready for some cleanup work and finishing

I was really impressed with the Vectric software. Short learning curve.
    Going to finish with polymerized Tung Oil. As many coats as needed. I expect less than 4. And lettering will get some highlighting.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Nice job Dave. See I have to look into more software. Post a picture after finishing if your able.

Will

Downloads
    Uploads

Dave,
    That makes me want to sell the laser and get a router
    Well maybe not but future plans definitely include a router.
    I'll have to buy one, know better then to start yet another project with any hope of finishing, won't live long enough to finish what is started now.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Will,
    Yes I will post a picture for sure when it's complete.
    For software all you need is Vcarve Pro. The people who sell the 3D models, Vectorart3D have a free program to get the tool paths that you can import to VCP. Or Aspire.

There is as slight scallop on the surface from using the ball nosed end mill, my daughter and I are debating whether we should try to remove it or leave it. Removing it will no doubt reduce the detail and sharpness of the carving. I bet it stays there.

Ken,
    So what the latest on the laser? Your can send me and email update if you want. Funny, I was thinking I need a laser? LOL

That software is amazing if I can turn something like that out first try there is hope for all wood butchers like me :-)
    Dave

Downloads
    Uploads

Working on the to be Laser room all morning (AGAIN)
    Getting very close, actually there is room now but want to get it pretty much emptied for nothing but laser related items an/or products.
    There was so much stuff in there rather then just move it from one spot to another I am putting it up with at least some form of organizational consideration.
    Found "stuff" I'd forgotten was even in there, that is the problem with collecting "stuff".

I've heard nothing but good about the Vcarve software.

Back to my room now

Last edited by Ken_Shea; 08-27-2011 at 02:56 PM.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Dave,

Thanks for the info on the software. I was hoping I did not have to buy Cut3d but just get Vcarve pro. Getting the boat ready for a ride after lunch. One other thing. What cutter did you get to surface your spoil board?

Will

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Will,
    Boat ride, that sounds like fun.
    I ended up getting the onsrud spoil board cutter. I think the number was 91-000 or something like that. It is 1 1/4" dia non replaceable carbide. 1/2 " shank. It was less than 50 bucks if I remember. Seems to work good. I would expect a 1 1/2" mortise but or something that cuts on end would work. I went with the onsrud because I was in stock and cheaper than a 1 1/4" mortise bit at Lee Valley.
    Dave

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Ken,
    Yes there is a downside on collecting stuff.
    It sounds like you are getting close.
    Have you moved it in place or still cleaning?
    Today I found my jointer and planer and got some stock ready for another sign. And got first coat of finish on sign I posted yesterday. My parents are out visiting so doing lots of visiting.
    Dave

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Finished

I am not pleased with the finish but its being presented tonight so that all she wrote.
    It seems the Tung oil sagged and ran somewhat of several of the layers and left a higher gloss area around the raised areas. I was hoping with would improve with more coats but it did not. I tried to even it out on a final coat with only finishing the flat portions.

I may strip the finish and try again.

Dave

Downloads
    Uploads

Looks very good Dave, I really like the color.
    I have known numerous word workers who only sprayed the finish, still I suspect it would depend on what finish that is.
    I always hand rubbed tung oil for refinishing gun stocks.

Finishing is as much a skill as is wood working, it takes time to develop those skills.

We are our own worst critics, whoever is getting that will be thrilled, to me, what may be called flaws just confirms it was not mass produced and only adds character, pun intended.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Dave,
    Thanks for the picture. You really did a great job for the first try. Yes we see every mistake we make but like Ken said it adds to it. Finishing is really an art and I for one am still learning. You can do the same finish but if the wood is different they can turn out great and the other one be a total mess on the other. Trust me I know. Keep cutting and having fun is what we want....

Will

Downloads
    Uploads

Dave,
    That looks pretty nice. I know you only see the flaws, but look at the difference between this and your first cuts. WOW.

And I'm sure your imagination has to be running wild after getting this done and learning a liittle more about the software. The possibilities really are endless.

BTW, I do think your right, what you see is really just a step-over that's too large. Nothing more than that. Which means you did everything else perfectly

Good work.

BobL.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Will and Bob,
    Thanks for the encouragement.
    I am very pleased at my first attempt.
    On to the next one. ;-)
    It is a learning curve.
    Dave

Downloads
    Uploads

Don't be disheartened as others have said, it's a great result and over time you'll naturally find better and easier ways to produce those results you desire. One finish you may find perfect for medium to dark timbers if you haven't already tried it Dave, is Cabots Danish oil. I've used it exclusively on all my wood work for probably the last 25 years or so, and is simply brushed or wiped on, left for about 10 mins, then a light buff off. It soaks into the surface and leaves a beautiful rich lustre, that "ages" the more coats you put on. On my door frames I've put upwards of 30 coats, sounds a lot of work, but it's no more than a wipe on, and then ten minutes later a wiping buff off, twice a day for a fortnight or so. Then once every few years a light wipe over again to just "clean" the surface. Barely any more work than dusting!

On really nice grained timbers like Tassie Oak or Vic Ash, the finish is spectacular, especially fiddlebacks.

Keep up the good work,
    Ian

It's a state of mind!

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Ian,
    Thanks for the suggestions and encouragement.
    I have never tried that type of danish oil.
    I have used the Watco stuff and have never been totally happy. Its seems to take many coats to get anything like a finish on it.
    I do like the wipe on type of finishes. Generally I have had good results with the Polymerized Tung oil.
    It's like you say wipe on, let sit then wipe off.
    The fact that it to seem to pool after wiping off was the surprise for me.
    Thanks
    Dave

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast