Need Help! Looking for CNC Conversion info for an LMS 5500 (SX2.7) Benchtop Mill

Thread: Looking for CNC Conversion info for an LMS 5500 (SX2.7) Benchtop Mill

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Looking for CNC Conversion info for an LMS 5500 (SX2.7) Benchtop Mill

I recently bought a used LMS 5500 mill with the intention of using a Heavy Metal CNC conversion kit to convert it to CNC. It took a while to find a used mill, but I finally did. When I tried to contact Heavy Metal to buy the kit, I found out the owner had passed away and the site has been shut down.

Does anybody know where I can get a conversion kit, or at least a set of plans, to convert the mill to CNC? I am not savvy enough to create my own but I am able to follow a drawing to do the machine work.

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer.

Michael

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Looking for CNC Conversion info for an LMS 5500 (SX2.7) Benchtop Mill

You might check the Hossmachine site: Hossmachine Homepage The LMS 5500 is pretty similar to a RongFu RF-45, which they sell conversion kits for.

[FONT=Verdana]Andrew Werby[/FONT]
    [URL="http://www.computersculpture.com/"]Website[/URL]

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Looking for CNC Conversion info for an LMS 5500 (SX2.7) Benchtop Mill

Thanks for the response. I just looked into the specs for the RF-45. It appears the Rong Fu is larger than the SX2.7. I also checked the Hoss Machine website and only saw information for the X2 and the G0704. I will do more research on the RF-45 and see where that takes me.

Thanks again,

Michael

Downloads
    Uploads

consider yourself lucky you weren't able to get the Heavy Metal kit. I bought one about 5 years ago, and its been sitting in the box since then. I just got it out last week to start working on my conversion.
    the screws/nuts were horribly "gritty" right out of the box. I took the nuts off the screws and cleaned everything...repacked the balls...greased the heck out of it when reassembling...STILL HORRIBLY GRITTY!! this is on all three of the screws. looking up the part number that is on the nut, I find it is an INCH device, while measuring the screw, it is METRIC. and not to mention, I had to modify EVERY bracket to fit my machine (altough, I could be talked into this is due to the crappy build quality of the X3 's to begin with).

Downloads
    Uploads

Rubes, were you able to finish the CNC conversion. If so, how didi it finally turn out? I still haven't had any luck finding a kit or plans to convert mine.

Michael

Downloads
    Uploads

No Michael, I have not completed it (by the way mine was an x3). I got distracted by other summer projects and hobbies. I have a modified Shapeoko CNC router that I could use to make some parts in a pinch. And a manual mill as well. I 3D printed parts to check fit and function, then used the shapeoko to make aluminum copies. at least some of them.
    For now it sits, unfinished, with the other unloved toys in a corner of the shop
    But Chicago winters are long and cold, so maybe I get back to it then.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Looking for CNC Conversion info for an LMS 5500 (SX2.7) Benchtop Mill-screenshot-2023-06-22-173551-jpg   Looking for CNC Conversion info for an LMS 5500 (SX2.7) Benchtop Mill-screenshot-2023-06-22-173502-jpg