BT-30 Headstock For X2 Mill

Thread: BT-30 Headstock For X2 Mill

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default BT-30 Headstock For X2 Mill

So, we've decided to make a BT-30 headstock that can use drawbar or ATC petal clamp system. I like the TTS, but runout adds up when you stack a collet and tool holder together. Plus, .0001" to .0002" runout BT-30 tool is everywhere and cheap. Check it out and let me know what you think: https://glockcnc.com/chinese-mill-bt30-headstock/

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails BT-30 Headstock For X2 Mill-bt30-headstock-taig-sherline-deep-taper-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: BT-30 Headstock For X2 Mill

Are your rigidity findings based on professional impact testing or is this based on theory . Have you tested against the mt3 spindles which have longer and much less taper angle ,even though they have a lesser contact surface
    Also is this based on a 3d print or do you actually have mills running that you can show for example

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by metalmayhem View Post
    Are your rigidity findings based on professional impact testing or is this based on theory . Have you tested against the mt3 spindles which have longer and much less taper angle ,even though they have a lesser contact surface
    Also is this based on a 3d print or do you actually have mills running that you can show for example
    Good questions.
    I wouldn't fit this to a machine that hasn't got the solid column upgrade or has it as standard.
    I replaced my spindle to R8 and that turned out to be better.

Even so. This BT30 kit is an expensive upgrade to spend on a X2 even if there are more tooling options for it.

Also if you push the X2 it can end up spread at the Z gib area like mine is which causes major flaws in the quality of the parts you make.
    So is it worth it.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by dazp1976 View Post
    Good questions.

Even so. This BT30 kit is an expensive upgrade to spend on a X2 even if there are more tooling options for it.

I don't think there are better tooling options bt30 vs r8 , pretty much anything I could want is available in r8 . And bt30 holders aren't nearly as cost effective or as readily available .
    As you mentioned , the columns are the weakest point of these mill/drills , and they are overall just plain weak machines . I have r8 and mt3 x2 mills that have thousands of hours on them and I see no performance or quality difference from one mill to the next . I have my doubts to the benefits of a bt30 .
    I honestly think that If someone was to market a heavy column for these mills then it would be the best upgrade ever made for the x2 . I'm not knocking the idea and to each his own but I think there are far bigger upgrades that are needed , and at what cost point is it worth buying a more sturdy machine to begin with