Sieg X3 conversion post build.

Thread: Sieg X3 conversion post build.

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Sieg X3 conversion post build.

Well I finally finished the conversion of my X3. I'm down to the finishing touches. For the mechanics I used the CNC Fusion Deluxe kit with custom length screws for increased travel over the stock mill. For the electronics I used Gecko 203V drives powered by a Automation Technologies KL-4820 non-regulated power supply for the 48volt and a Meanwell 24 volt supply for field power. I used a Mesa 6i25+7i76 Plug-N-Go kit for the BOB. I also upgraded the spindle to a DMM Technologies DYN4 1.8kw servo as a spindle motor geared 1:1.8 for a top spindle speed of 5400. Everything in the control cabinet is running on 240 volts. For software LinuxCNC. I also built a counter balance based on what I had seen done on other peoples build. The control cabinet was a bit of work but I got a lot of help from other members on this and the LinuxCNC sites. I am very happy with how it turned out and surprised how well it works without going all the way to flood coolant. I'm just using air at this point and I usually cut aluminum using carbide three flute endmills at 5200 RPM. I use Fusion 360 for my CAD/CAM. I'm not doing production work just hobby use.

John

Similar Threads:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Sieg X3 conversion post build.-dscn8177-jpg   Sieg X3 conversion post build.-dscn8179-jpg   Sieg X3 conversion post build.-dscn8186-jpg   Sieg X3 conversion post build.-dscn8199-jpg  

Sieg X3 conversion post build.-dscn8173-jpg   Sieg X3 conversion post build.-dscn8176-jpg   Sieg X3 conversion post build.-dscn8149-jpg   Sieg X3 conversion post build.-dscn8158-jpg  

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Sieg X3 conversion post build.

Looking good rcheli . I do have to know what DRO are you using?

rngr1

Downloads
    Uploads

It is a SchumaTech. It is/was an OpenDRO project that came in a kit. Home Page | shumatech.com. I'm not sure if you can still get the kits. I am using Jenix glass scales that I got from "Linear Measuring Systems Company" (Tim Barnard - lmsc@pacbell.net). I have the same DRO on my lathe and mill. Now that I have my mill converted to CNC I don't really need the DRO but it is handy when I doing something manual via the pendant. The DRO also supports digital caliper type scales.

John

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by rcheli View Post
    It is a SchumaTech. It is/was an OpenDRO project that came in a kit. Home Page | shumatech.com. I'm not sure if you can still get the kits. I am using Jenix glass scales that I got from "Linear Measuring Systems Company" (Tim Barnard - lmsc@pacbell.net). I have the same DRO on my lathe and mill. Now that I have my mill converted to CNC I don't really need the DRO but it is handy when I doing something manual via the pendant. The DRO also supports digital caliper type scales.

John
    Nice build!
    Wish the OpenDRO project was getting much love,furthermore as TouchDRO doesn't seem to be as open as it has been.

Envoyé de mon ONEPLUS A5010 en utilisant Tapatalk

Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks silopolis.

With what I have learned by building the DRO-550 kit and playing with an Arduino I think it wouldn't be that hard build a DRO.