Build Log - Grizzly G0619 CNC Conversion - Page 4

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Build Log - Grizzly G0619 CNC Conversion

Downloads
    Uploads

Havent posted in a while, and thought I would share a few thoughts for those that use this thread for ideas during their own build.

Couple of problems I found, related to the CNCFusion kit.

ZAxis pulley slips on ballscrew When I first built my machine I installed the kit but had to wait on the ZAxis pulleys so I bought some different pulleys. I used these pulleys until I got my replacements from CNCFusion. I found that the pulleys slipped on the ZAxis ballscrew quite a bit. I had to tighten them down about every other day (and I mean tight!) to keep them from slipping. I thought this was a problem with my pulley selection. After getting the new ones from CNCFusion I didnt replace the pulleys until I had also replaced the motors and controller (for a completely different reason) with motors that have much better power and torque curves. After replacing the motors and the pulleys the slipping got worse. One thing that I didnt do when I built the machine was install the gas strut. Didnt think I needed to cause my motor had plenty of power to overcome the weight of the head. But, the slipping made me start thinking that maybe the strut might help. I installed it, torqued the crap out of the pulley set screws, and bingo. No more slipping. This fixed the problem, but I really think that the way to fix this one is to have CNCFusion mill a flat spot on the ballscrew where the pulley mounts. That way there would be a better spot for the set screws to grab. I would do it, but I dont feel like pulling it off, and the slipping for the time being is gone. Moral of the story, make sure you install the gas strut!

Zero Backlash Motor Couplers I'd be interested to hear if anyone else has had this problem, but I have problems with the CNCFusion supplied Y and X axis couplers slipping on the ballscrews. First of all, these couplers are kinda on the small side, and only grab the ballscrew by a single clamp / screw on the coupler. With the motors I am using, this doesnt apply enough friction to keep the coupler from slipping. Even though I stripped the set screws out multiple times tightening them up. I believe that I have solved this by using these couplers; Zero Backlash Helical Shaft Coupler | CNCRouterParts The problem with these couplers was that I had to turn down a sleeve on the lathe to go in the end that was pre-drilled at 1/2" to fit my motor. It worked a lot better because in addition to the clamp / screw friction mount, it also has a fixed set screw on the side providing 2 points of pressure. Again, I think that on both the X and Y axis ball screws, CNCFusion should mill a flat side to allow the 2nd set screw to have a better seat.

Its all working now, but I thought I'd post these issues in case anyone else was scratching their heads with the same problems.

Scott...

Instructional Videos for CNC Guitar Building
    http://www.rmgvideos.com

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Build Log - Grizzly G0619 CNC Conversion

I ended up picking up a Novakon Torus Pro mill after I got this one converted and never did much more with it. This mill has sat in the corner for about 6 years and was never powered up. Recently I converted the novakon over to Pathpilot, and decided it would be great to get this old Grizzly conversion going again, modernize it, and run it on Pathpilot.

I'll post some pictures of what I am doing, but I have pathpilot going and I have to say its WAY better than Mach3 ever was on this machine. Its a bit of work to get pathpilot going on a non tormach machine, but its worth the work.

Scott...

Downloads
    Uploads

Replaced the older mechanical switches with Inductive Prox Sensors. 3D Printed the holders.

Scott...

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Build Log - Grizzly G0619 CNC Conversion-xhome-jpg   Build Log - Grizzly G0619 CNC Conversion-yhome-jpg   Build Log - Grizzly G0619 CNC Conversion-zhome-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Electronic Tool Setter. This allows me to use pathpilot to probe and automatically calculate and enter tool heights.

Scott...

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Build Log - Grizzly G0619 CNC Conversion-ets-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

First set of soft jaws cut after setting for 8 years, a little TLC and a pathpilot conversion. I like the results!

Scott...

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Build Log - Grizzly G0619 CNC Conversion-first-cut-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

It would be interesting to hear about your non-tormach path pilot adventures. I thought about it years ago, but never followed up.
    I did get the MESA cards though.
    Rubes

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Rubes View Post
    It would be interesting to hear about your non-tormach path pilot adventures. I thought about it years ago, but never followed up.
    I did get the MESA cards though.
    Rubes
    Its not crazy difficult. Who's breakout board are you using?

Scott...

Downloads
    Uploads

I've got the MESA 5i25 and 7i76 and Gecko G320 servo drives.
    I also have a PMDX-C11 (which may be obsolete).
    I did read thru the posts on the LinuxCNC forum way back then, but got too confused.
    Maybe things got easier/clearer since then?
    I got my router going with Mach4 and a smoothstepper, but still have a lathe and mill to convert.
    I've been wanting to do this for ever...and now that I'm retired I got "all the time in the world"...hahaha

Downloads
    Uploads

I've got the MESA 5i25 and 7i76 and Gecko G320 servo drives.
    I also have a PMDX-C11 (which may be obsolete).
    I did read thru the posts on the LinuxCNC forum way back then, but got too confused.
    Maybe things got easier/clearer since then?
    I got my router going with Mach4 and a smoothstepper, but still have a lathe and mill to convert.
    I've been wanting to do this for ever...and now that I'm retired I got "all the time in the world"...hahaha
    Hey, I recently retired as well! Welcome to the club.

So doing a pathpilot conversion is basically the following process: (Current process, may change in the future)

Installing Pathpilot
    1) Buy a 2.0 Pathpilot upgrade USB stick from Tormach.
    2) Install the Mesa PC board, and connect to the 7i76.
    3) Plug the PP 2.0 USB stick into the pc and boot from it.
    4) When the PP install asks for a machine to configure select an 1100 series tormach.
    5) Finish the install and reboot.
    6) Configure your WIFI or Ethernet connection when PP reboots. PP will walk you through this.
    7) You should end up on the PP control page.
    8) Click the status tab. If the internet light is green, your network is working. If not figure that out.
    9) On the status tab, select "Update". Update PP to the latest version, and reboot.

Configuring Pathpilot for your machine
    This is where the work starts. You are going to be editing a lot of files to get this working on your system. There is no single way this config is done for every system, as each is different. But the process and files should be reasonably the same from machine to machine.

I've created a "Discord" chat server that I've been wanting to use for my Novakon mill community. Its not getting any use yet for that, but on it I have a "PathPilot" chat area. If you dont know what Discord is its a modern day chat client / server that replaces all of the chat clients I've used to talk to others. This includes vendors, retailers, and family and friends. Think of it as a modern IRC. Glad to help others through this process of converting pathpilot, and creating a community at the same time. If you are interested click the invite below. This is a web client version of the software. I use a desktop and phone version so I can chat wherever.

Invite: https://discord.gg/vTUyZZTV6W

My ID on the server is Rudedog. Drop me a message on the discord server, in the "Pathpilot" section.

Scott...

Downloads
    Uploads

Congratulations on your retirement as well.

The configuring and editing the files is where I completely fell off the wagon.
    With LinuxCNC there was the config wizzard. I did get one motor connected and moving, and then got distracted with too many other projects.
    I bought the pathpilot CD back then, and its 1.9 something.
    I did get it installed. I removed that hard drive and have it saved somewhere.
    I dont recall there being any internet or being able to update over wifi, I think you need to update from a USB on that version.
    for $25 maybe worth starting over with 2.0.

I'll try and drop you a "hello" at least on your discord server.

Thanx again, and have a GREAT retired day!!!!! haha
    Rubes

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Pinning the table..

I started my lathe conversion. I have a Grizzly G0602 with a mesa 7i92 and a PMDX126. I have the axis's moving and homing. Took a bit of work, but I understand linuxcnc / pathpilot a lot better each time I do a conversion. I have a 3 PH leeson motor to put on. Ordered a VFD so I can control it from PathPilot, thats next.

Scott...

Downloads
    Uploads

Man, I need to get off my *** and get busy.
    This is the lathe I am doing;
    https://www.cnczone.com/forums/verti...40584-cnc.html
    it was built by my friend Steve on this board many years ago. He has since passed, and I just havent been very motivated to work on it.
    I have a manual Hardinge lathe I use all the time when I need to turn.
    I have the Z axis on the Steve lathe moving with LinuxCNC (oh, I did get the Pathpilot USB today).
    I just dont know how to focus...currently working on the lathe, a router, an X3 mill, and 4 project cars...
    But your thread has got me a bit more motivated...thanx...keep posting if ya dont mind!!!!

Downloads
    Uploads

Wow, given that Lathe's history, you gotta get that thing going. Let me know how I can help.

I'm getting a lot farther in my pathpilot conversion. I'm kinda stuck waiting on my VFD, but im hoping I can do some conversational lathe work operating the spindle manually. I'll be installing an encoder so I can do threading and rigid tapping. Will work on that next.

Scott...

Man, I need to get off my *** and get busy.
    This is the lathe I am doing;
    https://www.cnczone.com/forums/verti...40584-cnc.html
    it was built by my friend Steve on this board many years ago. He has since passed, and I just havent been very motivated to work on it.
    I have a manual Hardinge lathe I use all the time when I need to turn.
    I have the Z axis on the Steve lathe moving with LinuxCNC (oh, I did get the Pathpilot USB today).
    I just dont know how to focus...currently working on the lathe, a router, an X3 mill, and 4 project cars...
    But your thread has got me a bit more motivated...thanx...keep posting if ya dont mind!!!!

Downloads
    Uploads

About ready to start making chips. Looking better after spending 2 days tearing down, cleaning, and knocking off the 8 year old rust!

Scott...

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Build Log - Grizzly G0619 CNC Conversion-lathe1-jpg  

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234