Combining vacuum table hold down with chip removal?

Thread: Combining vacuum table hold down with chip removal?

Default Combining vacuum table hold down with chip removal?

Hi all,

I'm in the process of putting together a vacuum table using the various approaches shown here with the Ametek/Lamb motors using a combination of HDPE with grooves and MDF spoil board on top. Nothing too unusual there.

My CNC router is fairly small, about 13 in x 24 in work area. I'm considering going overkill on the vacuum motor (Ametek-Motors 117123-00 Motor, 5.7" 240 Volt). I suspect, but can't really confirm, that this will offer way more vacuum than necessary for this small of a work area.

My idea is to essentially build a full filtered vacuum with this pump and run it for both the vacuum table hold down and for chip removal/collection. This would involve a suitable filter/collection device, and some PVC piping and valving to control amount of vacuum to the table vs chip removal.

Looking for anyone who might have tried this on a smaller table to see how it worked out.

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Combining vacuum table hold down with chip removal?

Don't use it for the two simultaneously. The fan will preferentially pull down the dust extractor side and you won't have vacuum for hold down. I suggest you get a proper vacuum pump such as used for aircon evacuation. This will give you 99% vacuum and max holding force. Or you can get a vacuum transducer and use that from your compressor. But I prefer a oil vane vac pump... Peter

Thanks for considering. I guessed that it may be possible with enough vacuum and control between the two, but would likely take experimentation to try it. I do have a single stage vacuum pump, and could certainly try it, but I suspect it won't have enough CFM to pull through MDF.

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Ak - Its not controllable, the air will take the path of least resistance which is the dust collection side and will not build any pressure on the vac side. If you have a single stage vac pump that's perfect. No need to pull though MDF. Make an mdf board with a hole or grooves and use some thin foam as a gasket and it will hold extremely well. I use the non slip drawer liner or tray stuff bought on a roll. I use garden hose for the vac line and cheap irrigation valves. Peter

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Combining vacuum table hold down with chip removal?-vac-2-jpg   Combining vacuum table hold down with chip removal?-vac-1-jpg