Vacuum seal gasketting

Thread: Vacuum seal gasketting

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Vacuum seal gasketting

Hello,

Hope I can ask someone with this gasket a question.
    We bought an new industrial cnc in December, (why arent I asking them? Another issue...)
    We applied a gasket they recommended around each vaccum zone. The gasket they recommend sounds like normal on here where it sits a bit above the phenolic then compresses with the vacuum.

Well thats all well and good, but here is our issue. When we for example want to cut from say zone 1 a piece to fit right in there. We would then turn off the other zones, well that compression somes into play and raises that side of the table and messes up my cuts.

Anyone else have this problem, or am I extraordinarily lucky? If so whats the slution, no gasket?

Thank in advance

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Vacuum seal gasketting

Hi Alki - How's does compression raise the table? maybe a photo to explain? or more words?? Do you mean the job is sitting on the uncompressed seals? Peter

Downloads
    Uploads

He's got an MDF spoilboard with a multiple zone plenum underneath it, with each zone having it's own seals/gaskets. When he turns the zones off, there's no vacuum to compress the seals in those zones.

Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html[/URL]

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html[/URL]

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    [URL]http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html[/URL]

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Downloads
    Uploads

There should not be a gasket in any area where the vacuum is off. If you turn a zone off, either remove the gasket from that zone or keep your parts/spoilboards away from the uncompressed gasket.

Are you using a single large MDF spoilboard that covers the entire table? In that case, you can keep the vacuum on in all zones and cover the unused portions of the spoilboard to seal the vacuum.

Downloads
    Uploads

Hello thank for the replys,

Correct: He's got an MDF spoilboard with a multiple zone plenum underneath it, with each zone having it's own seals/gaskets. When he turns the zones off, there's no vacuum to compress the seals in those zones.

Downloads
    Uploads

So what do you guys do with this situation? You cant remove the gasket without taking the entire spoilboard off, I can block out areas and leave all the vacuum on, but that defeats the purpose of the vacuum areas.

Does anyone have any recomendations on what they do in this situation?

Downloads
    Uploads

What do you think Ger21? I was thinking to cut my mdf into the sections, but if I do that when I have a part bigger than my section Im back to bocking it out.

Thanks again for any thoughts

Downloads
    Uploads

Cut thin plastic sheets roughly the same size as the unused zones. Use them to cover the unused areas of spoil board. You still have to draw down those areas, but you won't waste vacuum and you won't distort the spoil board. Reject vertical grade laminate works fairly well. Or, in a pinch, construction plastic sheeting works.

Downloads
    Uploads

I agree with Marv, but I'd use something a little thicker than laminate, as it will usually seal better.
    One big zone and cover the unused part of the table, rather than separate zones.

Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html[/URL]

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html[/URL]

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    [URL]http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html[/URL]

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Downloads
    Uploads

The best strategy depends on the size and variety of the parts you are making.

One option is to make several spoilboards - one for each common stock size. At our furniture factory, we have dozens of spoilboards for each CNC machine. When we design a new part, we also design and make a dedicated spoilboard to go with it.

Downloads
    Uploads

OK thanks all for the tips!