Newton's Cradle - Page 17

Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 714151617

Thread: Newton's Cradle

Default I've just re-read this entire thread......

Hi Everyone!
    Its been a long time, and I have NOT forgotten this project! In fact, the Newton's Cradle is sitting on the carpet in my living room! As I walk past it every day, I'm reminded of the problem I had encountered during its build!

I have to admit, much has changed, in my health, as well as my finances! As soon as I was ready to take another stab at it there was a death in the family

For many an evening, I have been studying my CAD drawings. Looking for a way to add a three dimensional adjustment to the top of the swing arms. This would allow me to move the balls & pivots up & down, right & left, and further & closer apart! Achieving this along with the ability to lock them into a final position is very challenging! Especially while trying to use up as many of the existing parts as possible!

After making several new CAD files, I think I've found a way to do it! It will require making 10 small aluminum blocks, with lots of setscrews! The blocks have to be made independently, as it would be impossible to drill & tap the holes located between the blocks! So the blocks will be mounted and pinned to a long outer plate with the same handles as the last top plate. The only problem is the current design only holds the upper bearing block by 8 setscrews. The outer screws will force the outer plates apart, so they must be made from one piece or have runners attached between them!
    This is making the whole unit top heavy, and ugly! Neither designs are acceptable! So back to the drawing board!

Widgit

www.widgitmaster.com
    It's not what you take away, it's what you are left with that counts!

Downloads
    Uploads

Widgit, if I know you, you will think of an elegant solution and then one day the cradle will be done.

Looking forward to that day!

Cheers,

BW

Try G-Wizard Machinist's Calculator for free:
    http://www.cnccookbook.com/CCGWizard.html

Downloads
    Uploads

Wow Widget!
    I was watching my favorite (local) NFL team (Panthers@#$%^&) play ball today and while I watched them screw up the game I was thinking of unfinished projects (lotz). It dawned on me that we needed a widget update on the cradle. I've never known you to quit a project. Anyway, I guess it was kinda remembering my favorite channels on the zone and this project has my attention!! Sorry about your loss. Chin up and happy holidays (machining!).
    Bill

billyjack
    Helicopter def. = Bunch of spare parts flying in close formation! USAF 1974 ;>)

Downloads
    Uploads

Ditto, sorry for your loss. It's so weird, yesterday I searched this thread out to see if there was anything new I hadn't been notified of, and you popped up literally within the hour. Spooky.

Mike Visit my projects blog at: http://mikeeverman.com/
    http://www.bell-evermannews.com/ http://www.bell-everman.com

Yea, every now and then the CNCZone bug gets me itching to do something, instead of sitting in front of my computer
    Happy Holidays to all of you!
    Widgit

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Newton's Cradle-long_merry-christmas-1-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by widgitmaster View Post
    Yea, every now and then the CNCZone bug gets me itching to do something, instead of sitting in front of my computer
    Happy Holidays to all of you!
    Widgit
    Thanks Eric

You're Welcome!
    Eric

Last edited by widgitmaster; 12-15-2010 at 03:39 PM.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Sorry for your loss in the family. Hopefully the new year will bring fresh ideas for your project.
    Happy Holidays to all.

Jason

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Marsha View Post
    Sorry for your loss in the family. Hopefully the new year will bring fresh ideas for your project.
    Happy Holidays to all.

Jason
    Thanks Jason!
    Have a Merry Christmas!
    Eric

Downloads
    Uploads

Merry Christmas Wigit, it's been a real pleasure watching your machining demos. All the best to all of you out there in 2011.

CarveOne

CarveOne
    http://www.carveonecncwoodcraft.com

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Newton's Cradle

It felt like I was reading an epic adventure novel. Only to find that the end of the book is missing :-(

Dear Widgitmaster, is there no conclusion to this saga? Did all live happily ever after?

Did you make your second, larger Newton's Cradle? My daughter wanted to pick a crappy one up at the museum store, and I decided I'd build one for her birthday - something she can hand down to her kids someday. I was learning so much from your journey - I am so sad you never completed it.

I hope all is well in your family and that yo someday do come back and update us on this and other projects!

Thank you!

Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 714151617