MDF Racing car simulator project. - Page 5

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Thread: MDF Racing car simulator project.

Downloads
    Uploads

Matt, so sorry for the late responce. The last two weeks has been pretty hectic. Kids home on school holidays, Commonwealth games held in our home town., ( had to go to many events), computer died, lots of missings files emails etc.,

I still havnt fixed the encoder on my machine, but as soon as I do, the first thing I will do is cut the racer, and youll be first to know.
    Talk soon, Benny

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

no worries just wondering what the status was. good luck.
    Matt

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by ynneb
    Matt, so sorry for the late responce. The last two weeks has been pretty hectic. Kids home on school holidays, Commonwealth games held in our home town., ( had to go to many events), computer died, lots of missings files emails etc.,

I still havnt fixed the encoder on my machine, but as soon as I do, the first thing I will do is cut the racer, and youll be first to know.
    Talk soon, Benny

Sounds like me, either I am board out of my mind, or it all gets piled on me at one time.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

this all looks fantastic, Don't know if you guys remember an arcade machine called space Harrier well I have been thinking about converting it to a SIM of some type either Car or Helicoper / fighter jet

-just a heads up the whole seat and monitor move left / Right/ front and Back. I can take some photos if Ppl need some ideas on motion control..

Attached Files Attached Files

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Matt,

Thanks for a great project, I'm going to try cutting it this weekend, I'll post pictures and feedback when I finish it. My kids will love this!

--
    Granville

Downloads
    Uploads

gonna keep up with this thread. Also who here is a rc flyer? I am gonna post a post in the rc thread here about the Hydro/plane.
    Steve

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Smile Building the Race Car Sim Chair.

I started cutting out the race car sim chair today, I had an error in my g-code yesterday, and didn't have enough mdf to cut all the pieces, but I have the sides cut as well as the armrests. I'm headed to lowes in a few minutes and should get the rest cut out this afternoon. I'm using 3/4" MDF, an I'll post pictures and the g-code when I'm sure it's all good.

I'm using a 5'x10' cnc machine I built from plans at machinetoolcamp.com a few years ago, and never really got all the kinks out. After finding cnczone a few weeks ago, I've been reading and have the machine working pretty good. This chair is my first real project, so it's a big learning experience! I just learned today that my 3/4" MDF is slightly thicker than 3/4"! So I've got to tell the code to shave a little off the edges of the sides and back to get them to fit in the notches routed in the sides.

Since I'm really new to this, after all the MDF pieces are cut, what if anything should I do to them before glueing it together?

--
    Granville Barker

Downloads
    Uploads

Go for it Granville. I will be watching with interested in your progress.
    The reason I never cut the project myself was after my machine had a few problems, I decided to sell it. I am still interested in the results of this project.

EDIT: You asked what else should you do b4 glueing? I suggest you drill a few screw holes in the channels so that you are glueing and screwing.
    When you glue MDF make sure the joins are completely dust free as this can cause a weak join.

Please post some progressive pictures. We would love to see what you are doing.

Last edited by ynneb; 12-01-2006 at 06:37 PM.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Talking It's cut!

I made some changes to the width of the leg part, and may change that back so it can fold up, but here's one pic and a link to some others. In this picture, I've gone over one armrest and the upper deck with a roundover bit, I plan to do the rest to soften the edges.

More info and pics ... http://web.mac.com/granvillebarker/i.../cncrcsim.html

--
    Granville Barker

Downloads
    Uploads

Granville I cant see the pictures I get an error message. Just upload the pictures to this thread.
    Server Error
    The following error occurred:

[code=CANT_CONNECT] Could not connect because of networking problems. Contact your system administrator.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Another try for the pics

I'm not sure why you couldn't see them, I've attached them to this message.

---
    Granville

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails MDF Racing car simulator project.-img_5831-jpg   MDF Racing car simulator project.-img_5836-jpg   MDF Racing car simulator project.-img_5842-jpg   MDF Racing car simulator project.-img_5845-jpg  

MDF Racing car simulator project.-img_5850-jpg   MDF Racing car simulator project.-img_5856-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

BRILLIANT
    Thanks for posting this.
    I would be interested to know how the body dynamics of it work.
    What I did was take a photo of one in the shops, and a few basic measurements, as well as some design modifications. I have got a kick out of the idea that I saw it in Melbourne Australia, and you have gone and made it somewhere else in the world from what me and Matts work.

Please also post some pics of the finished product in use when you are ready.

I am now spewing I sold my machine b4 cutting one. This just might make me build another Machine

If you had to make any alterations that were essential to making it work, could you please upload the latest DXF.

Thanks Benny

EDIT: I cant remember if I included a spoiler. It really needs one. That will enhance its appearance.

Last edited by ynneb; 12-03-2006 at 05:02 PM.

Downloads
    Uploads

Nice very nice.

Downloads
    Uploads

I like the simulator Granville, it turned out great.

Robbie

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Excellent work Granville.

Jason

Downloads
    Uploads

How long does it take to paint, test and post a photo of the finished product?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Christmas slows things down...

I have it primed, but just haven't had any free time to spend in the shop lately. I'll post pics as soon as it's further along.

--
    Granville

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi,

Just found this thread and recall that a while back I found this VERY interesting website on just what you are building, but perhaps a little more complex?
    http://www.force-dynamics.com/
    Also, check out the video section
    http://www.force-dynamics.com/video.php

3 degrees of freedom
    2gs of vertical acceleration
    +/- 30 degrees of pitch and roll
    a 51" projection display
    custom ffb controls
    flexible software support

I would have thought if somebody built a car-like interior around this thing and a bigger screen that you can see through the windscreen it would be as close to the real thing as a simulator can get.

Regards,
    Andrew

Downloads
    Uploads

Try this website for some ideas (they focus more on simulation rather than looks)

and the video section:

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by jones View Post
    Try this website for some ideas (they focus more on simulation rather than looks)

and the video section:
    Hi,

imho you better forget the force-dynamics; too expensive!

But look at this one
    http://ryuuji.blog.ocn.ne.jp/ryuuji_...otion_0001.wmv

the cockpit uses these actuators. They can be purchased for 150Euro.

the english documentation can be found here

Do you have an idea how to control these actuators? You could extract game data like Force Feedback and G-Forces with x-sim. Its open-source.

Unfortunatly, in the current software version are only pneumatic cylinders supported. We need someone who helps us implementing support for linear actuators. Please talk to sirnoname in the x-simulator forum if you want to help us with our project. He's the autor of the software. We talk English as well

regards

Last edited by egoexpress; 01-05-2007 at 10:13 AM.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast