Anyone in SLC? need some milling done for my G0704 build

Thread: Anyone in SLC? need some milling done for my G0704 build

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Anyone in SLC? need some milling done for my G0704 build

hey guys,

building my g0704 and need some material removed from my column and table to fit the new double ball screws. anyone here in the Salt Lake area that would be willing to help me do the work? i know i could do this with a drill press, but i'd really love to have it properly machined. I'll for sure bring beers/food/cash or whatever combination gets me in the shop to remove some material.

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Anyone in SLC? need some milling done for my G0704 build

If you need to remove material by moving a tool laterally through it, you can't do that with a drill press. They work okay for drilling; moving the tool up and down is fine. But moving sideways will put forces on the drill press that will dislodge the quill as it's spinning, which will tend to make it embed itself in your face, or whatever else it hits as it goes flying across the room. If you can't find someone in your area to do this milling for you, look elsewhere.

[FONT=Verdana]Andrew Werby[/FONT]
    [URL="http://www.computersculpture.com/"]Website[/URL]

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Anyone in SLC? need some milling done for my G0704 build

sorry, i should have been more specific, i can do this by drilling holes (vertically) with the drill press and then remove the rest with the angle grinder... but i'd much prefer to have access to a proper mill so i can mill laterally and make nice, clean passes. drill+ grinder + file will take way longer and not look as good and won't be anywhere near as precise. I know it doesn't really matter, but i like to do things the right way when possible.