Need Help! Welding Beryllium copper pinch plates

Thread: Welding Beryllium copper pinch plates

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Welding Beryllium copper pinch plates

I have a question for my Tig'ers. We repair molds at my shop. And have to weld up Beryllium copper pinch. I understand how toxic this stuff is, and we are well ventilated here. My question is, what method and set up would you use to get a fine bead on top of the pinch. In most cases, the pinch is only low by maybe .002. and we have to weld the top, then machine it back to a proud state. We have been doing it for years, but its sometimes hit or miss. My feeling is there is too much heat being widely displaced. I would like to direct the heat too a finer area. I have attached some pics of our set up, and an example of with pinch.

Similar Threads:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Welding Beryllium copper pinch plates-img_2236-jpg   Welding Beryllium copper pinch plates-img_2232-jpg   Welding Beryllium copper pinch plates-img_2234-jpg   Welding Beryllium copper pinch plates-img_2235-jpg  

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Welding Beryllium copper pinch plates

My dad was victim of Beryllium exposure resulting from casting injection molds and plunger tips during the 1960's. Yes it was the fumes from melting the alloy. If your employer is not requiring you to shower at the end of the day before leaving the premises you are taking this sh_t home with you. If they are not requiring yearly lung x-rays and blood tests I would think about another place of employment.I am not trying to downplay your job or your employer. I have the utmost respect for welders and know firsthand that its not an easy way to make a living. Its just that there are several more avenues of protection required when working with this material. My family and I are witnesses to the slow horrible death caused by it. One example is we asked his pulmonoligist if the 100 lbs he had lost was caused by the disease. We were told yes but indirectly, his labored breathing required around 10,000 calories daily just to stay alive. Dont take this personal as its not meant that way at all. Just something to think about.

Downloads
    Uploads

The Miller 250 was great machine, I've used them alot. I'd get a new inverter type machine and you will find it holds a finer bead. Plus I'd make sure I had positive ventilation head gear and various filters before I melted metal. There will be recommended ventilation strategies for the stuff. Peter

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by dfearnow View Post
    I have a question for my Tig'ers. We repair molds at my shop. And have to weld up Beryllium copper pinch. I understand how toxic this stuff is, and we are well ventilated here. My question is, what method and set up would you use to get a fine bead on top of the pinch. In most cases, the pinch is only low by maybe .002. and we have to weld the top, then machine it back to a proud state. We have been doing it for years, but its sometimes hit or miss. My feeling is there is too much heat being widely displaced. I would like to direct the heat too a finer area. I have attached some pics of our set up, and an example of with pinch.
    Time for you to invest in a laser welder for this type of work you have much better control less machining and the weld process does not become as toxic Tig is old hat for mold repair of any kind
    Here is a video of one of the many lasers doing mold repair any material can be welded, no stress no distortion

Mactec54