CnC machine

Thread: CnC machine

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default CnC machine

I apologize if this isn't the right place for this topic in advance.

I'm looking into buying a CNC machine. I've had a bridgeport mill forever and have always done everything by hand. I'm experience in Cad software, but can someone explain to me what it takes to program a cnc machine. Lets say you make something in a cad program what steps do u take in order to produce that part. Thank you

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Where do you want to start? It's all the same complexity of work holding and tool selection that you're already used to. Add the complexity of having to precisely position the part, then tell the machine where the part is and how long each tool is so it knows where everything is sitting.

Now take every move you've ever done by hand on the machine and write it down in excruciating detail (from & to points, how fast, etc). If the machine has a tool changer, coordinate all of those changes as well. Once all of that is done, dry run it at a greatly reduced speed so you're sure that nothing is going to crash.

The other way is to use CAM software. It doesn't really save you anything except the manual programming part. The added complexity is that you need to know that the CAM software is putting out proper code for your machine. It's a big time saver but it has the additional layer of complexity where you need to make sure you did everything right in there, before it ever gets to the machine.

I'm not trying to talk you out of anything, but CNC is far from just sticking a piece of stock in a machine, having the machine find it and do everything for you. It's just as complicated as you've imagined and maybe just a bit more.

Are you considering for a business or just hobby stuff?

Greg

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi
    It is much easier to make stuff with CNC than by cranking handwheels
    Lets just say you want to make some mounts for some stepper motors, they can be made with 6 to 8 lines of code, not difficult.
    CNC is not difficult there are so many free programs with tons of help freely available that if you can afford a machine go for it.
    As far as the Hobby thing, i do not think that anyone starting in this H0BBY has not thought that maybe I can make a little money on the side so the business asperations are always there.
    budP

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Donkey Hotey View Post
    Where do you want to start? It's all the same complexity of work holding and tool selection that you're already used to. Add the complexity of having to precisely position the part, then tell the machine where the part is and how long each tool is so it knows where everything is sitting.

Now take every move you've ever done by hand on the machine and write it down in excruciating detail (from & to points, how fast, etc). If the machine has a tool changer, coordinate all of those changes as well. Once all of that is done, dry run it at a greatly reduced speed so you're sure that nothing is going to crash.

The other way is to use CAM software. It doesn't really save you anything except the manual programming part. The added complexity is that you need to know that the CAM software is putting out proper code for your machine. It's a big time saver but it has the additional layer of complexity where you need to make sure you did everything right in there, before it ever gets to the machine.

I'm not trying to talk you out of anything, but CNC is far from just sticking a piece of stock in a machine, having the machine find it and do everything for you. It's just as complicated as you've imagined and maybe just a bit more.

Are you considering for a business or just hobby stuff?
    This is an excellent description of CNC programming. Would you mind if I adapted it to my CNC BASIC PRIMER? (Crediting you as the source of course}

CR.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by autococker2k6 View Post
    I apologize if this isn't the right place for this topic in advance.

I'm looking into buying a CNC machine. I've had a bridgeport mill forever and have always done everything by hand. I'm experience in Cad software, but can someone explain to me what it takes to program a cnc machine. Lets say you make something in a cad program what steps do u take in order to produce that part. Thank you
    Hi autococker. Welcome to the Zone! Nice first post!

If you are interested in buying a small hobby or starter CNC machine, This $1700 Taig/Gecko is the most bang-for-the-buck:

http://deepgroove1.com/cncmill.htm

Eventually, you may even want to convert your Bridgeport:

http://www.microkinetics.com/conv_kits/index.htm

CR.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Smile We are Supercam CNC Router manufacturer in Shanghai China

Dear Sir:
    We understand your information from posted in the website, and note with pleasure the items of your demand just fall within the scope of our business line. First of all, we avail ourselves of this opportunity to introduce our company in order to be acquainted with you.

Our company is one of the leading CNC Router manufacturers in China. We have three series products, including PS, AS and HV series.Each series can meet different customers’ requirement. The products have several main advantages: silent, fast and stable. We think you will be interested in our products, so we send you detail of catalog, wish it be usefull for your business.It is sure that our products will help you business develop better, and we are also desirous of establishing business relation with you.

We are looking forward to hearing from you.

Thanks

Yours faithfully

Mr.Chen
    Overseas Sales
    Shanghai Angshi Digital Technology Co.,Ltd
    Add: 14A .No 4 Building Strength Tower No 600 Tianshan Road , Shanghai , China
    Tel: 021-62330840、62591362、62593532
    Fax: 021-62731228
    E-mail & MSN: angshi_dg@yahoo.com.cn
    Web: www.supercam.com.cn

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

and just what part of his questions does your post answer? Or is this just a blatant spam? My vote is on the spam...

Quote Originally Posted by angshi View Post
    Dear Sir:
    We understand your information from posted in the website, and note with pleasure the items of your demand just fall within the scope of our business line. First of all, we avail ourselves of this opportunity to introduce our company in order to be acquainted with you.

Our company is one of the leading CNC Router manufacturers in China. We have three series products, including PS, AS and HV series.Each series can meet different customers’ requirement. The products have several main advantages: silent, fast and stable. We think you will be interested in our products, so we send you detail of catalog, wish it be usefull for your business.It is sure that our products will help you business develop better, and we are also desirous of establishing business relation with you.

We are looking forward to hearing from you.

Thanks

Yours faithfully

Mr.Chen
    Overseas Sales
    Shanghai Angshi Digital Technology Co.,Ltd
    Add: 14A .No 4 Building Strength Tower No 600 Tianshan Road , Shanghai , China
    Tel: 021-62330840、62591362、62593532
    Fax: 021-62731228
    E-mail & MSN: angshi_dg@yahoo.com.cn
    Web: www.supercam.com.cn

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Smile the steps for operating CNC Router

First, you should design a file by CAD software or others, then save it.
    Second, you can open the file by control software which can control the machine on the base of the file.
    Third, after all the preparation is completed, start the machine, then it can move to work automatically.

Downloads
    Uploads

If your looking for a CNC knee mill we have a Hurco sitting here $2500 takes it away its a conversation so no G-code. Old man in me says you must learn G code first

We have had good luck with our Fadals milling mostly soft steel and aluminum up to 5 axis. We are always looking for spare parts :) If you have a broken down Fadal give a shout.