Horizontal / 90-degree machine or adapter

Thread: Horizontal / 90-degree machine or adapter

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Horizontal / 90-degree machine or adapter

We have a small 3020 and larger 6040 machine which we use to machine plastic enclosures for cutouts for displays/fittings/etc.

We need to machine some openings in a larger enclosure (12x10x4) on the 4" side, and naturally the 12" height is too tall to fit in either of these machines.

Is there a machine that has a "horizontal Z-axis" so that we could lay the enclosure flat and have the milling done from the side? Alternatively, is there an economical adapter that could convert the spindle to a 90-degree orientation?

I've spent all morning looking and could not find a good solution under either category.

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Horizontal / 90-degree machine or adapter

I assume you are machining electrical enclosures.

There have been times I wished I had a horizontal machine to make the cutouts on the sides. The most economical way you can make those side cutouts is to use your CNC router to make a hand router guide. Hand routers and 'Roto-Zip' tools are cheap, and MDF makes great hand router guides. I have also made aluminum router guides for a more robust tool for production work.

Jim Dawson
    Sandy, Oregon, USA

Downloads
    Uploads

There are good horizontal 90-degree angle tools from industrial suppliers.
    For plastic enclosures they are what You probably want.

Probably about 3000$ for 1-2 tools.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Dawson View Post
    I assume you are machining electrical enclosures.

There have been times I wished I had a horizontal machine to make the cutouts on the sides. The most economical way you can make those side cutouts is to use your CNC router to make a hand router guide. Hand routers and 'Roto-Zip' tools are cheap, and MDF makes great hand router guides. I have also made aluminum router guides for a more robust tool for production work.
    Thanks for the reply! You are 100% correct, that we are trying to mill cutouts into electrical enclosures. It is on the top/bottom, so naturally they don't fit under the CNC!

You have a really great idea. TBH, this method would be faster if we can create a jig. We also have a 3D printer, and perhaps I can use your concept in that capacity also. We've been so caught up with the idea of milling the box that we didn't think of other possibilities other than drilling or punches, but those are both too imprecise.

Downloads
    Uploads

Would it be possible to cut a hole in the floor of the machine to accommodate your boxes? If so, all you'd have to do is figure out how to support them from underneath.

[FONT=Verdana]Andrew Werby[/FONT]
    [URL="http://www.computersculpture.com/"]Website[/URL]

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by awerby View Post
    Would it be possible to cut a hole in the floor of the machine to accommodate your boxes? If so, all you'd have to do is figure out how to support them from underneath.
    Thanks for the idea. Unfortunately, both the machines we have (smaller 3020 and larger 6040) both have a ball screw directly in the middle of the unit, which would prevent placement of the enclosure below it. However, your comment gave me an idea, that if I could modify the gantry to have the spindle stick out further down the Y-axis, I might be able to hang it over the edge of the bottom of the CNC and mount the box below/in-front of the unit. I don't need much travel for the holes we are looking to cut out.