looking to buy my first CNC - need advice

Thread: looking to buy my first CNC - need advice

Downloads
    Uploads

Default looking to buy my first CNC - need advice

I am looking to buy my first CNC to cut G10, carbon fiber, and ebony.

I’m not looking for a large work area, 1’ x 1’ is more than enough.

The CNC should be very precise, as it will be using 0.5mm mills to make 0.5-0.7mm cuts in 1mm thick plates.

The most important characteristic is the high level of precision and capability to cut composite materials.

Price range is $1,000-$1,500. Is there anything within this price range that can meet my needs?

Appreciate your time to read and reply to my post.

Eugene

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: looking to buy my first CNC - need advice

Hi,
    amongst the things I do with my mill is make circuit boards. Through hole boards I do with 0.5mm Kyocera Tycom two flute endmills, surface mount boards for which I require 0.2mm
    and less between traces I use 450 engraving tools.

What I can tell you is that tools of this description require a superb spindle, 24000 rpm min, 36000 is better and 60000 is better again but IT MUST HAVE VERY LOW
    runout otherwise you'll be very disappointed.

I use a 800W air cooled spindle from Mechatron GMBH, and have used it for seven years. It cost me $1000NZD, about $690USD. There are plenty of Chinese spindles of similar
    specs and much cheaper....say $300, but the point is that your budget is looking a little thin for the kind of performance that you want.

I use Mach4 Hobby ($200USD), an Ethernet SmoothStepper ($200USD), a homemade own design breakout board ($200USD), a Delta 750W VFD ($300USD)....and the list
    goes on.

What CNC software and motion controller did you have in mind?

When you say very precise...what do you mean? Within 0.1mm? Within 0.01mm? Within 0.001mm? Each time you go 'up a level' the cost increases a hundredfold, so be very considered
    about want you 'need' as compared to what you 'want'. What you 'want' is likely to be so far outside your budget its not funny. I have exactly the same problem!

Craig

Downloads
    Uploads

Craig,
    Thank you for taking time and responding to my question.

I did not research the software option yet. As to precision, I should be okay with 0.03-0.05mm.

I was hoping to get a manufactured unit like these without having to assemble it with different parts.

https://www.alibaba.com/product-deta...142143cfAG8l82

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3292...rch-mainSearch

Could any of these CNCs be a workable option?

Eugene

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi,

As to precision, I should be okay with 0.03-0.05mm.
    That level of precision is about what you could expect from the two examples you linked to.

Of the two I prefer the first one, note that it has square rails and is more rigid than the round rail second example.

Both have asynchronous spindles, presumably with angular contact bearings, and should have low enough run-out to use micro-tools.
    Just beware that some of these types of units are supplied with DC motors using ordinary deep groove bearings.....waste of time and money
    for your purpose.

Craig

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi,
    many Chinese units like these are pretty good value for money, usually the mechanical parts are reasonable but where they all seem to fall down is the electronics.....
    they tend to be rubbish and are supplied with pirate software more often than not.

If I were you I would consider the mechanical part of the machine.....and throw the the junk electronics away. Buy a decent US or European made motion controller
    and software like Mach4 (not Mach3....its too damned old and cranky), UCCNC or LInuxCNC, and you never look back.

Craig

Downloads
    Uploads

Thank you Craig!
    It helps a lot.

Eugene