Hello Zoners!

New member, fairly new to CNC. Quick background check:

- Done 3d and CAD for years
- Very limited CAM experience, only basic g-code knowledge etc
- Never used a CNC with my own hands
- Have designed products in Solidworks, FreeCad, ACAD, Blender, 3ds, etc etc. and converted to solids for CNC (which I've always outsourced) and 3d printing (also outsourced)
- Have done computer programing and relatively techincal, but close to ZERO CNC background.

I have been reading and researching and think I am ready to buy my own CNC for my small shop. I grasp the workflow and software involved.

Here is what I am using it for:

- Wood parts ~35 cm (~1 foot) long. Possible max of 75cm (~30 inches), but can get away with smaller Y dimensions for now. No wider than 4cm (1.5") dia. Limted Z axis needed (couple cm at most) .
- Some inlay cutting, fine mitreing, and simple cutting of wood billets, grooves etc. Think of decorative posts, pool cues, peper mills, etc...
- Currently have several lathes (metal and wood) but cannot do some precision work, and its SLOW going
- Personal use/small business... so cant be 10k investment!

- Must be 4 axis with enough room under the gantry for spinner/head&tail stock!!

So the question:

Assuming I have the software (Aspire, VCarve, MeshCam, etc etc), should I be

A. Looking for high-quality German or European local dealer, invest 5-7k for a smaller machine, have local support and warranty etc? or
B. Buy an online Chinese model with decent reviews, half the price. Get my feet wet and take a smaller risk/investment?

Is it worth the premium to get a top brand and local contacts or could I get started with a cheaper Alibaba special, and upgrade later (when it breaks or I want to up the game)??

Would love to hear your hind sight and experience. I can imagine the answer is "Its just a few pieces of extrusion and some motors. Go cheap if you can figure it out yourself" or "start with quality, you'll be glad you did once you have a problem".

Cheers,
BJP