New build advice

Thread: New build advice

Downloads
    Uploads

Default New build advice

Considering to build a small CNC mill. I’m looking for suggestion on servo drives?
    Already have 50W DC brushless motors with encoders but that’s about it.
    Any advice would be appreciated

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: New build advice

Those sound like small motors for powering a mill. Are they gearmotors? Do you have the specs for them? How much torque do they put out? Normally, you'd want to design the mill first, then find the right motors to run it, not the other way around. What expectations do you have for the mill you're planning to build?

[FONT=Verdana]Andrew Werby[/FONT]
    [URL="http://www.computersculpture.com/"]Website[/URL]

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by awerby View Post
    Those sound like small motors for powering a mill. Are they gearmotors? Do you have the specs for them? How much torque do they put out? Normally, you'd want to design the mill first, then find the right motors to run it, not the other way around. What expectations do you have for the mill you're planning to build?
    Many many years ago I worked for a company called CNC Teknix.
    We used these little motors in a variety of small retrofits and they performed quite well.
    Not long after I left, they went bust and I didn’t use the opportunity to get their Tek7 servo drives.
    Never thought I would ever have the need for a small CNC machine.
    I have a few of the motors we used with encoders.
    I’m just looking at my options at this stage.
    I was just thinking along the lines of a Sherline size mill or perhaps a little bigger.
    Would like to be able to machine aluminium.

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: New build advice

It sounds like you probably know more about these things than any of us, having worked for the company. Finding a compatible driver for them is likely to be something of a chore, but at least you'll know what's required. I suppose you could put in a permanent search for Tek7 drives on Ebay. But if machining aluminum on a small mill is really what you want to do in the near future, have you thought about just purchasing one? We sell the Taig mills, which are a little bigger than the Sherline. They're pretty nice little mills, reasonably priced, and come with motors and controls, ready to run.

[FONT=Verdana]Andrew Werby[/FONT]
    [URL="http://www.computersculpture.com/"]Website[/URL]