basic upgrade..!!! help

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: basic upgrade..!!! help

Cool basic upgrade..!!! help

Hello, I’m new here.

I do no if I’m in the right place, for question.

So I pickup Sainsmart CNC 3018-Mx3. Which my understanding is compatible with Mach3 software, but the controller board that come with it, It's USB Interface, my purpose to learn to use a CNC machine is to do acrylic work. So far I learned that the controller board is not a good choice. So what I would like to do is upgrade the controller board. That will communicate the right way with Mach3. So I’m looking on AMAZON and I see different controllers that are parallel interface price range from $50 to $100. So the CNC Machine that I hive it's (SainSmart Genmitsu CNC Router Machine 3018-MX3), has 3 axis and spindle 12v DC to 48v 10000 rpm, plus limit switch’s install. The PCS Controller board Model# MC3D3-V2.1 BOARD. Can anyone recommend a controller with Parallel Interface. I’m just a beginner., I haven’t purchase the software yet. But I’ve been watching a lot of YouTube videos and how to use Mach3 with a parallel controller. It seems like this is the best way to go.

Great help is appreciated.

SainSmart Genmitsu CNC Router Machine 3018-MX3)
    Model# MC3D3-V2.1 / Mach3 cintroller for mini CNC

Windows 10 Pro 1909build
    Intel 7800x /x299
    32Gb mem
    I/O LPT PCS install
    Mach3 Demo.
    Fusion 360 Demo

My plan it to upgrade:

Controller: to Parallel
    A better Spindle motor.

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: basic upgrade..!!! help

go with UCCNC Peter

thanks for your reply.

there're diff controller on amazon which one? model#?

also found this one: -> https://www.amazon.com/SainSmart-Bre...%2C163&sr=8-21

thanks

UCCNC Peter <-- this is software., correct or not?

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi,
    if you have a 32 bit Windows 7 or earlier PC then you may be able to use a parallel port, but be warned Machs
    parallel port will not work with ANY 64bit OS nor Windows 8 or later nor with laptops. If you have a Windows 10 PC
    you need an external motion controller OR downgrade to Windows 7 32 bit.

In the early days of Mach the parallel port was the only option and because most PCs of the day had IEEE1284 compliant
    ports it was widely used and generated a huge Mach3 fan base and many still use it.

Today its less clear. Machs parallel port seems to work OK on some PCs but not others, and no matter what, any extra (other than
    Mach3) software loaded onto the PC and certainly ANY, and I mean ANY, other software or unnecessary services running on
    the PC will cause Mach3 to stutter and/or stall and wreck your job.

About ten years ago various manufacturers started making external motion controllers like the Ethernet SmoothStepper or one of the UCxxx
    series of controllers. An external motion controller receives numeric trajectory data from Machs trajectory planner and generates the required
    precision pulse streams necessary to signal the stepper drivers. Because the motion controller relieves the PC of the pulse generation task,
    for which PCs are not well suited, Mach could now be run on 64bit OS's including Windows10 and be VERY MUCH less subject
    to the stalling and stuttering that plagued Machs parallel port.

External motion controllers are connected to the PC by USB or Ethernet. Ethernet is faster and very much less prone to 'run out of data' faults
    and is preferred. You might ask 'will not a USB to parallel port converter work?', and the answer is NO it will not work. A USB connected
    external motion controller will often have its outputs (to the stepper drivers) arranged as a familiar parallel port. You might think that
    it constitutes a USB-to-parallel converter but its not. An external motion controller has an FPGA and/or an MCU and is WAY WAY
    smarter than any USB-to-parallel converter.

Your Sainsmart USB controller is an example of an external motion controller. Like many of the Chinese made external motion controllers
    they do not work well, or sometimes at all, and almost all fail to provide ALL the realtime features required by Mach. To be fair to them, (most)
    work and they are cheap. If they don't work or you struggle trying to get it to work you can forget the Chinese manufacturer for support,
    if you send an email it gets to delivered to China, that's China, in a galaxy far far away.

A UC100 (approx $120USD) is one of the few remaining USB connected motion controllers. Note the Chinese make a whole bunch of UC100
    fakes and sell them on Ebay and Amazon....don't get burnt......they are not the real thing. Buy direct from CNCDrive or their nominated distributor.
    It has one parallel port as output and would require a parallel port breakout board. Parallel breakout boards such as you linked to a cheap
    and plentiful with not a lot to pick and choose between them.

If you ever want more IO than a single port can offer, ie anything but the most basic machine, the you need a motion controller with at least two
    ports output, like the UC400 (two ports=34 inputs and outputs), an Ethernet SmoothStepper (three port=51 inputs and outputs), a 57CNC (not arranged
    as parallel ports at all but has 57 inputs and outputs) or a UC300 (five ports=85 inputs and outputs).

Note all these (CNCDrive, Warp9TD, and PoKeys) are either European or US made, all are good quality, work as advertised and most importantly they
    have manufacturers backup.

You are correct, CNCDrive, the manufacturer of the UCxxx series of controllers have their own software called UCCNC. Its a bit like, but better than Mach3.
    I think Mach4 is slightly better again than UCCNC, but I'm biased as I use Mach4 and love it. Mach3, or Mach4 or UCCNC are all valid choices (so long as
    you choose Mach4...).

So your choices are:
    1) Stick with the Sainsmart USB controller and try to get it working....you should be able to, especially if its bought as a complete kit (50-50 proposition)
    2)Install a 32bit OS, Windows 7 or earlier and use a IEEE1284 parallel port and breakout board ( a backwards step IMO)
    3)Buy an Ethernet SmoothStepper or a UC300 and breakout board(s) as required (a real step up in performance and reliability but at a cost)

Craig

Thumbs up Re: basic upgrade..!!! help

Thank you Craig, for clarifying the information you provided. it has put my mind at ease now I have a clear understanding. I will continue working with the SainSmart 3018-MX3, so far I got the CNC working with the exception of the limit switches. Which for some reason I cannot figure out. In mach3 under ports & pins, my limit switch setting (port 1, pin 12,12 for X+,X- )(Y+,Y- port 1, pin 13,13)(Z+,Z- port 1, pin 15,15) When Enabled, for example I enable just X+,X-. Before I apply settings I get an error saying (Xlimit switch triggered) and (XLimit Switch Triggered! LIMIT OVER Activated) Then will goto (Homing/Limits) to those setting. At this point I’m not sure what I’m looking for to resolve this problem. At one point when I was trying to figure this out, I did one working the X+ when tripped the switch the LED Will light up. Unfortunately I don’t remember what I did to make that work. I upload it Pics of the settings.

So apart from that, I will get the Pokeys57CNC Motion Controller Ethernet/USB Mach4. Price about $150 with the Spindel kit $120.

Craig, thank you so much for your education on CNC. Much appreciated.

hi,

So i got the Pokeys57CNC controller and mach4 setup.
    all stepper motor and spindle running plus e-stop switch.

need some help to setup the limit switch's.

thanks

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi,
    with the PoKeys board you have lots of inputs to spare. I would recommend that you use one input for one switch, not try
    to combine all together. Despite the extra wiring its much easier to set up, test and diagnose if you have one switch per input.

Craig

need help?

On Pokeys57CNC V1.2 Different From Pokeys57CNC V1.5

i hive Pokeys57CNC V1.5

when i connect switch's(5v digial switch) to (Pendant Port) there work, on Picture mark as yellow circle.
    On the IO Status they show as Pin's 9,10,11 and they trigger on/off ok.

Also when they're connect to the (Limit/Home) Port mark Green on the picture they also work, but No indication on IO Status.

When try to connect to the green socket/screw in, Axis 1 to 8 switch(Lim+) normal switch close or open No indication on IO Status.

I follow all Pokeys57CNC instruction and manuals, but it doesn't go into full details how to setup this up.

can any one help me to configure this.

thanks

when i connect switch's(5v digial switch) to (Pendant Port) there work, on Picture mark as yellow circle.
    On the IO Status they show as Pin's 9,10,11 and they trigger on/off ok.

when run Posys, IO Status they show as Pin's 9,10,11 and they trigger on/off ok.

now to get mach4 see it.

Unhappy Re: basic upgrade..!!! help

hi, crag

all three port do work,

i try switch one at time, to test. i see trigger in Posys (IO STATUS) pin 9 is trigger.,
    in the port (pendant connect)Axis X switch (pin9)

in the port(Limit/home) trigger, but not showing which (Pin), at time it did show Pin 23 being trigger.

now on Axis 1 to 8 on the green port connection, using pins 1 to 12, star with first pin (Axis 1 switch (Lim+) = #? pin) & GND. that one dose trigger,but dose not show which pin#.

This is so cinfusing.

Look at Picture i post it.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails basic upgrade..!!! help-pokeys57cncv12_pinout2-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi,
    I am most familiar with the Ethernet SmoothStepper plugin.

When you make an input signal assignment in the ESS plugin , a limit siwtch for example, the plugin correrectly connects the pin to the logical signal
    but in addition it AUTOMATICALLY updates Mach4's Control plugin so they are consistant with each other.

I cannot be sure but I don't believe the PoKeys plugin behaves the same way. That is if you assign an input pin to a signal in the PoKeys plugin
    you ALSO have to make an assignment in Mach4's Control plugin. Have you done so?

I have attached a couple of pics of Mach4's Control plugin Input Siganls page. Note you will have to scroll down the page to find the Home
    and even further to find the Limit switch entries.

In any event don't sweat it too much, PoKeys tech support will see you right, that is the advantage of recplacing your controller with the PoKeys after all.

Craig

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails basic upgrade..!!! help-mach4inputsignalassignments-png   basic upgrade..!!! help-mach4inputsignalassignments2-png  

hi, crag

So I managed to reset the board back to the original factory settings and reloading the drivers with the proper parameters for Marh4
    Now I will attempt to test one switch at a time. on the three different ports, to see how far I get.

hi, crag

can help to figure out,

What will be the position of the X-axis after executing this line of code? G90 G0X100Y11Z12
    i come up with +100.0000 as the of X-axis. is this correct?

im just leaning basic g-code.

i would really appreciate.

thanks

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi,

What will be the position of the X-axis after executing this line of code? G90 G0X100Y11Z12
    i come up with +100.0000 as the of X-axis. is this correct?
    Yes, correct. G90 means Absolute mode, so after the execution of the line the work cooordinates will be x=100, y=11 and z=12.
    Note that if you executed the same line of code a second time the machine would not move, its already at its commanded destination.

Craig

Downloads
    Uploads

@akihiko,

I have a very similar setup and have found I am limited to 1000 RPM with the 48V (10000 RPM capable) upgraded spindle motor. Come to the conclusion the OEM motor controller limits output voltage regardless of power supply. Have you been able to operate the spindle at 10000 RPM with the new controller?

Robert

Quote Originally Posted by joeavaerage View Post
    Hi,

Yes, correct. G90 means Absolute mode, so after the execution of the line the work cooordinates will be x=100, y=11 and z=12.
    Note that if you executed the same line of code a second time the machine would not move, its already at its commanded destination.

Craig
    thanks, that work.

So, craig

i need your best advice & recommendation. building cnc.

These are the item i bought.list

1. 2.2KW Water Cooled Spindle Motor ER20 Kit & 2.2KW 220V Inverter VFD 3HP & 80mm Clamp Mount & 75W Water Pump with 6M Pipe & 14pcs ER20 Collet.

1. UC300ETH Ethernet Motion Controller and 5LPT With UCCNC License. -> But i think need a beakout board/
    but which one would be the right one, there two different one.( http://www.shop.cncdrive.com/index.php?productID=946 ) second ( http://www.shop.cncdrive.com/index.php?productID=914 )

But also, i was thinking about Pokeys57CNC-ETH or M16D-Pokeys Motion Motherboard w/Mach4 License File Bundle
    im about 70% familiar with Pokeys board and Mach4.

i think both are good interface board.

1. cnc base frame. on ebay(https://www.ebay.com/itm/USA-6040-80...c1f12c|iid%3A1

or just get this one and modified. -> ebay (https://www.ebay.com/itm/6040Z-3-Axi....c100005.m1851,

1. stepper motor kit.
    got this kit for $149.99/ it come with beakout board (https://www.ebay.com/itm/Promotion-U...72.m2749.l2649

Let me know what you think?

thanks

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by akihiko View Post
    thanks, that work.

So, craig

i need your best advice & recommendation. building cnc.

These are the item i bought.list

1. 2.2KW Water Cooled Spindle Motor ER20 Kit & 2.2KW 220V Inverter VFD 3HP & 80mm Clamp Mount & 75W Water Pump with 6M Pipe & 14pcs ER20 Collet.

1. UC300ETH Ethernet Motion Controller and 5LPT With UCCNC License. -> But i think need a beakout board/
    but which one would be the right one, there two different one.( UCSB single port breakout board without cable - CNCdrive - webshop ) second ( UCBB dual port breakout board without cables - CNCdrive - webshop )

But also, i was thinking about Pokeys57CNC-ETH or M16D-Pokeys Motion Motherboard w/Mach4 License File Bundle
    im about 70% familiar with Pokeys board and Mach4.

i think both are good interface board.

1. cnc base frame. on ebay(https://www.ebay.com/itm/USA-6040-80...c1f12c|iid%3A1

or just get this one and modified. -> ebay (https://www.ebay.com/itm/6040Z-3-Axi....c100005.m1851,

1. stepper motor kit.
    got this kit for $149.99/ it come with beakout board (https://www.ebay.com/itm/Promotion-U...72.m2749.l2649

Let me know what you think?

thanks
    You are going to use a 2.2KW spindle on that tiny 3018 router???.....wow, that is asking lot for the frame to hold together while cutting.....unless I'm mistaken with the MX3 model of the 3018 type of CNC router the gantry frame is only 2020 extrusions?....correct me if I'm wrong.

I've just bought the CNC 3018 basic model from Bangers to mess about with.
    Ian.

No, its for 6040Z frame.

Downloads
    Uploads

I have to wonder where the reference to the 3018MX in post #1 went to.........no reference to a 6040Z anywhere here.....highly confused.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast