$200 Spindle Motor? - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: $200 Spindle Motor?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: $200 Spindle Motor?

Quote Originally Posted by CitizenOfDreams View Post
    How can this be a brushless motor? It's a good old brushed 100V DC motor, unless they somehow managed to fit a tiny 500W VFD inside it.
    Brushed or brushless DC motors are not going to make any difference to what the OP wants to do, he could use a trim router as well if he wanted there are plenty of options for the OP

Mactec54

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by mactec54 View Post
    Brushed or brushless DC motors are not going to make any difference to what the OP wants to do, he could use a trim router as well if he wanted there are plenty of options for the OP
    As I said, I have used both of those motors - the BLDC package similar to the one I suggested and the 100VDC brushed motor pictured above.
    The BLDC spindle was very easy to connect to Mach3 for speed control. For its brushed counterpart I had to leave the manual potentiometer in place and kludge up an external tachometer for RPM reading. Its speed varied significantly with load. The brushes wore out in no time. The controller was constantly shutting off for no apparent reason. I definitely would not recommend anyone to "save" a hundred bucks and deal with this piece of garbage.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by CitizenOfDreams View Post
    As I said, I have used both of those motors - the BLDC package similar to the one I suggested and the 100VDC brushed motor pictured above.
    The BLDC spindle was very easy to connect to Mach3 for speed control. For its brushed counterpart I had to leave the manual potentiometer in place and kludge up an external tachometer for RPM reading. Its speed varied significantly with load. The brushes wore out in no time. The controller was constantly shutting off for no apparent reason. I definitely would not recommend anyone to "save" a hundred bucks and deal with this piece of garbage.
    Only because you did not know what you where doing where the pot is you can directly control it with Mach3 just as any other PWM control

All of these are junk no matter how you look at it, they are just a regular DC motor with a ER collet chuck put on it's shaft, for light use like the OP wanted they will work fine until he needs any accuracy as the bearings in these motors are not designed to be used as a spindle

Mactec54

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12