Metal milling machine

Thread: Metal milling machine

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Metal milling machine

Hello everyone
    I'm new to CNC machining and I was looking into buying a new CNC machine for metal work, steel mainly, I digged a bit and ended up buying a chinese CNC Machine
    The 6090 PRO, https://www.ebay.com/itm/CNC-6090-Ro...LI6U:rk:4:pf:0
    It was advertising as a milling machine that's capable of cutting all kind of metals, you can see the details in the link above but that's not where I got it from

After getting it to run and testing it on wood, I tried cutting aluminum manually and it seems to struggle doing that
    Has anyone tested this machine before?

Is there a machine you recommend for such purpose?
    I'm aiming for milling steel bars on 4 axis

Thank you

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Metal milling machine

You bought a wood router/engraver. It will engrave steel, but that's about it. What you need is a milling machine, not a router. Completely different machines.

Something like this would be my choice for milling steel bars. They work well and the TM-2P is about the same work envelope as the machine you bought, available with a 10K RPM spindle.

Metal milling machine-img_5526-jpg

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Metal milling machine-img_5526-jpg  
    Jim Dawson
    Sandy, Oregon, USA

Downloads
    Uploads

How big are those steel bars, and what size of parts did you plan to make with them? While the machine Jim shows above would doubtless work, if your parts are small, you might be able to get by with a less expensive mill. But yes, there's no way that Chinese router is going to make parts for you out of steel.

[FONT=Verdana]Andrew Werby[/FONT]
    [URL="http://www.computersculpture.com/"]Website[/URL]

Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks for the responses

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Dawson View Post
    You bought a wood router/engraver. It will engrave steel, but that's about it. What you need is a milling machine, not a router. Completely different machines.

Something like this would be my choice for milling steel bars. They work well and the TM-2P is about the same work envelope as the machine you bought, available with a 10K RPM spindle.

Metal milling machine-img_5526-jpg
    I see, so I guess I got scammed since they told me it can cut many types of metal with ease.
    I just looked up the machine you mentioned and it looks like an overkill for what I'm trying to do, it's too large and so is the price
    Is there a cheap machine you recommend for milling steel?

Quote Originally Posted by awerby View Post
    How big are those steel bars, and what size of parts did you plan to make with them? While the machine Jim shows above would doubtless work, if your parts are small, you might be able to get by with a less expensive mill. But yes, there's no way that Chinese router is going to make parts for you out of steel.
    Mainly small parts, up to 20x20x2cm.

Check out that video, they say it's the same machine, there's a few more where it mills aluminum, could that be fake or a different machine and just a way of advertising?

They delivered it with a 2.2kw chinese spindle, if i switch that with a better and more powerfull spindle which is designed for milling steel will it work?
    will the frame be able to handle such job?

Downloads
    Uploads

Many grades of cast iron machine about like aluminum and in most cases is easier to machine than aluminum because of the chip formation. Mild steel is sometimes one of the more difficult materials to machine because it's soft and creates stringy chips.

I chose to show the Haas as an example because that particular one has a work envelope similar to the machine you already have. But it seems that you don't need a machine that large for your parts. A 2.2KW spindle would be adequate for machining steel if we are looking at only power output, but there is more to it than that. When machining metal, mass is your friend. My small mill has a 2.2KW spindle motor, but just the motor weighs about 45Kg, and the machine weighs about 1500Kg.

You might be able to get away with machining steel on your machine if you are using 3 or 4 flute solid carbide cutters designed for cutting steel, and not over 6mm dia. Using a 6mm dia cutter, you would be able to work at 20K RPM with adequate coolant. Because your machine is lightweight, you are not going to be able to load the tool too much so material removal rates will be poor. Flood coolant or a good spray mist coolant system will be needed, especially if cutting aluminum. High feed rates, small step overs and small depth of cut might allow machining of steel, but I question if the machine frame can take the cutting forces. Some experimentation might be in order. Chatter is going to reduce tool life and perhaps not provide adequate surface finishes.

There are cutting strategies that might help, adaptive clearing and trochoidal cutting would be helpful.
    The machine in the video probably has at least a 15KW spindle, probably more, and I'm sure the machine weighs at least 5000Kg. Since you already have the machine, try trochoidal cutting patterns.

As far as a cheap machine for machining steel, please define cheap. Depending on your location, there may be used equipment available.

Jim Dawson
    Sandy, Oregon, USA

Downloads
    Uploads

The spindle is water cooled, I also got a flood coolant system installed so I will give it a shot soon, is there a special fluid I’m supposed to use to make it easier?

I’m actually looking for a new one, I’m not sure if there’s such thing but something up to $10k maybe?

Thanks for the information I’m still new to all of this

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by moadi View Post
    The spindle is water cooled, I also got a flood coolant system installed so I will give it a shot soon, is there a special fluid I’m supposed to use to make it easier?
    We use BLASER BLASOCUT 4000 at about 7% mix. Have had good luck with it in all metals and it doesn't rust the machines. There are other water soluble cutting fluids that work well also.

I’m actually looking for a new one, I’m not sure if there’s such thing but something up to $10k maybe?

Thanks for the information I’m still new to all of this
    This is about the least cost new decent machine. https://www.tormach.com/770m/

I would look on ebay for a used machine.

EDIT: On buying used machines, if you want a project then you can find them pretty cheap. The only real thing that you have to look for is that they are in good mechanical condition. For instance I paid $1000 for my knee mill, and it was mechanically near new even as a 25 year old machine. The controls worked, but I upgraded them later after I made some money with the machine, the first job I did on it paid for the machine, the upgrade and a lot of tooling for it. I saw a Hurco bed mill locally just this morning for $2000, condition unknown, but I might go look at it. I have a Shizuoka in the shop right now that I would let go for about $7000, it has a fresh upgrade and is mechanically near perfect.

Last edited by Jim Dawson; 01-19-2019 at 03:53 PM.
    Jim Dawson
    Sandy, Oregon, USA

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Dawson View Post
    I have a Shizuoka in the shop right now that I would let go for about $7000, it has a fresh upgrade and is mechanically near perfect.
    Can't believe I spent about the same on what I have right now.
    Shipping is another problem since I'm not in the states, I'll check how much it will cost me to import such thing if I don't find any locally

Tormach looks interesting will the entry level package be able to do the job?

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by moadi View Post
    I'm not in the states,
    Canada ? Used machines are like gold here for some reason.
    If you do go the used industrial route a machine to consider is the Milltronics Partner I. Fits in a smallish space and it's a simple machine compared to something like a HAAS. It will make a Tormach 770 look like a limp noodle. These machines are old so finding a good one would be a challenge but if you get lucky it won't cost much. We had one for second operations and it was a sweet little machine.

Anyone who says "It only goes together one way" has no imagination.

Downloads
    Uploads

The Tormach is on the small side to do what you want, but at least it is a milling machine designed to cut metal.

Where are you located? As I recall, it cost about $2500 to ship the Haas from Florida to Oregon, about 2200Kg machine. And no duties or import fees since it was shipping within the US.

This is the only decent picture I have of the Shizuoka, when it was still in the process of being worked on. It's now sitting in the back corner of the shop taking up space. This is about a 2000Kg machine.
    Metal milling machine-img_1308-jpg

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Metal milling machine-img_1308-jpg  
    Jim Dawson
    Sandy, Oregon, USA

Downloads
    Uploads

With the new control that Shizuoka is a nice deal.
    The guy to ask about importing is Al the Man, assuming i guessed right on the Canada part.

Anyone who says "It only goes together one way" has no imagination.

Downloads
    Uploads

I have got one for sale, let me know if you are still interested in purchasing one PM me